Irons only off the tee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a play at the range myself today as it was far to wet.. Driver straight right, made some tweaks to set up then straight right with a slice to boot so pretty much hit it wide of the range. Went back to normal set up shot service resumed to a straight right shot, only common denominator was nothing was coming out the middle of the club face. Tried hitting the 3 wood everything was nice and straight or straight with a nice soft cut my usual preferred shot shape plus out the middle of the club.

So have now ordered a 43 inch shaft to put in the driver to try that out over the festive period to see if in my case it really is those extra 2.5 inches in shaft length that is causing my issue.
Did you not try gripping a bit further down to test if a shorter shaft would do anything??

Wolf

Visit site
Did you not try gripping a bit further down to test if a shorter shaft would do anything??
Tried it in the past and doesn't feel right to me gripping down. Even though in theory it's the same it's just one of those feel things. When I grip down a club automatic tendency for me is a punch shot of to ease off to much. So gone with the slightly shorter shaft, plus now have a spare of a slightly different length to get the right mix for me.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've done this a bit this year and put Srixon UDI in the bag. I think it depends what you're trying to achieve.

For me taking iron off the tee does make my score far more consistent. i.e. Far less variability. Which usually means shooting around my handicap reasonably comfortably.

But on the days when my driver is working (very rare) I will shoot 5-6 under my handicap. But when it isn't can easily shoot 10-20 over :eek: