irons off the tee?

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Of a fashion, I can hit irons off the ground, but really struggle off the tee, it's obviously an a advantage to do so, especially on par 3's but need a bit of advice please. Ta

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what's the issues you experiencing with the contact of strike through impact & what's happening to the ball flight (again re the points below) when you put the ball on a tee.

what are the problems & issues you have with contact with the ball on the ground when things do go so well & what's happening to the ball flight, height, starting direction in relation to aim/target, curvature etc.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Maybe you put too much pressure on yourself when stood on the tee on a par 3.
Think I'm a bit guilty of doing this.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
what's the issues you experiencing with the contact of strike through impact & what's happening to the ball flight (again re the points below) when you put the ball on a tee.

what are the problems & issues you have with contact with the ball on the ground when things do go so well & what's happening to the ball flight, height, starting direction in relation to aim/target, curvature etc.

Sorry for delay pc issues, topping, low weak push,

Last edited:

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, cannot for the life of me use a tee for iron shots. I have shanked that many that I gave up ages ago. I hit my irons off the fairway OK so I just leave the ball on the grass when I come to a par 3.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry for delay pc issues, topping, low weak push,

check all your set-up positions, ball position.

the low point of the swing arc is trail side of the ball, so the clubhead is swinging up into the ball.

often times with the ball on tee folks can tend to intuitively try to hit it up off tee. so the clubhead bottoms out some distance before the ball, this can also give you fats, but part of the same issue.

make sure as you swing you not leaning/tilting back a ways weight on the trailside.

make sure you tee the ball down some so the 'cup' of the tee is only just above the ground. then take the club up to the top, put your weight onto the lead leg keep head still behind the ball swing down & through the hands leading.

if you get some time to practice on grass, tee the ball (as above) then couple inches in front & on the target line put another tee in. when you swing, weight on lead leg at transition & swing down on the back of the ball so you also take the tee out in front with the clubhead.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I use a tee with an iron the ball is virtually only just touching the grass anyway. All you need to do is give yourself the perfect lie so that the ball appears to be floating about 5 mm above the grass.