Iron suggestions?

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Need a new set of irons as mine are well past their sell by date now and are not offering any forgiveness. I will be getting something secondhand, does anyone have recommendations or suggestions for some SGI or GI irons that wont break the bank? I was looking at a set of callaway x16s in my pros shop the other day would these be any good or is there something better out there? :)

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Iron suggestions for a beginner

Have been playing for about 3 months now and have made pretty good progress but my iron play has really started to stall, I currently hack it around with an old set of blades and I think in order to progress further I need to get myself some new irons. I'm looking for something with plenty of forgiveness so GI and SGI clubs are probably the way to go, whatever I end up getting it will be secondhand, I saw a secondhand set of callaway x16 pro series in my pros shop the other day but are these good game improvement clubs? Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated :)

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Re: Iron suggestions for a beginner

buy what you feel you like best, can afford and what feels good. if you can get a custom fit do. You are really wasting your time if you dont have the correct equipment.
Dont get too upset about the poor iron play, try to work why and then build on it.If you can hit your blades you are well on the way.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Oops I think I've put this in the wrong section is there a way i can move it? and thanks for the advice bayjon I'm having lessons at the moment and when I catch one sweet it really flies but its too inconsistent for me hence I feel I need something different

Sultana

Club Champion
Visit site

Oops I think I've put this in the wrong section is there a way i can move it? and thanks for the advice bayjon I'm having lessons at the moment and when I catch one sweet it really flies but its too inconsistent for me hence I feel I need something different

In the same boat as you Mr T. I've only been playing since the summer and bought a Dunlop package set, but I have just bought a TM Burner driver, 3 wood and hybrid, and I'm now looking to replace the irons with a set of Wilson Di9's.
As for the inconsistency, that's just inexperience and will improve with playing more golf and using the knowledge gained from your lessons.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site

i would recommend buying the x-16 irons or even the x-14's.they are cheap enough aswell and will be easy enough to hit.

D

Deleted member 1740

Mizuno mp67 blades, learn to play the hard way you won't regret it!

Otherwise get yourself down to a range and try as many as you can and decide whichever ones feel the best.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I would steer clear of the Pro series and stick with the normal X version if you want to go down the Cally route. Otheriwse look at the original TM Burner, G10 or Mizuno MX series. I guess it depends on your budget but I think that GI clubs will give you the help you need if you don't middle it and be a good investment until that handicap starts tumbling when you can perhaps think about something else. Just my two penneth of course

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

No as this is your second thread andI moved the first one I will join the two together

T

thecraw

Ping G5, G10 ,G15, or G20 will fall into your budget somewhere, all great clubs. Ping Rapture V2 are another fantastic set.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

What is the problem with your existing irons?

If getting another set makes you feel better about your game and you can afford it then thats fair enough, but changing your irons due you making poor or inconsistant impact is not the answer to your problem. Working to improve your ball impact conditions is more important that buying new clubs IMHO.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

Must agree with Brian on this one. Unless your clubs really are crap. Why change? Why not wait until you are hitting better then think about changing. After all a bad workman always blaims his tools eh!;) .

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was given the set when is started playing, it's missing a 7 and 9 iron for a start, easy to replace but they'll have a different feel to the rest of the set, I do think the "it's not the clubs fault" is correct but I really do think that they are holding my game back, they are very old and have a stiff shaft in them but I definitely need regular. I guess I fancy a change but it's not completely unjustified :)

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tried the x16s in my lesson today and loved them, seriously tempted now, mums even willing to put a bit towards them, but should I try other clubs aswell?