Iron Shot into Green Accuracy tips / Drills

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One part of the game that is costing me is my irons into the green accuracy i.e for me 7 - 5 iron, i'm not so bad at 9 - wedge, 8 iron is okish. Are there any drills hints etc that people used to improve this. Clearly getting this right saves bunker shots or tricky chips into the green and saves shots.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What the mog said . And. Dont always shoot for the pin, pick a sector of the green that gives your best chance to land the ball safely.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are your shots coming up short? If so do you know how far you hit each iron? Are you alligned correctly? If none of these are causes then as said above it is a case of getting the swing decent and to do that it is the dreaded 2 words again TIME,PRACTICE. No shortcuts unfortunately.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not comming up short, most of the time I think it may be trying a little too hard and slicing or drawing the ball to the side of the green. Maybe best to just take a club you know you hit well and suck up the extra shot lay up then chip in, rather than trying to hit the green with a magic shot from 150 out

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
150 out you say on a previous post. Really 6 out of 10 times you should certainly be hitting the green maybe more. 150 is a 7 iron for me everytime. Just focus on a nice safe target and do a nice smooth relaxed swing. Easier said than done I know but it will start to click. What handicap you play off? Maybe see a Pro for a lesson as well see if he can give you any advice.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only played about ten rounds of golf so no handicap, have had a few lessons but I am doing another soon so will ask about that, think the biggest problem has been nerves. Played the other day and started really bad chasing my last score of 97 which was my best, relaxed and as so to speak gave up on beating my score and finished with a back 9 of 42 6 over par beating my last score with a 93.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Learn to relax and that is part of the job done!!! Getting tense is a real no no you loose all sense of rytham and tempo. DO not chase a previous score as it is bound to end up in disaster. I have done this before and you start to take more risky shots on to pull the score in and it is a recipe for failure. Stick with the lessons and make you practice what you are being told. Also try Mark Crossfield on YouTube for tips as he is really good.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club up and swing easy.

150 is a 7 iron for me as well, but usually all the trouble is at the front at our place, so you end up sub-consciously trying to put a little bit more into the swing to ensure you don't come up short. Much easier to have more club and swing smoothly and less trouble if you do get too much!

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pro has not got me doing a routine this has really helped me relax and clear my head while on the tee, not stand there thinking of everything I need to do.

I can understand about takiing a club extra too will have to try that more. When I first started golf I went through the back alot so have gone the other way a little.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Find the average distance you hit each club. Not the best distance and work from that. Ok you will still hit long or short. But most of the time it will be right.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
find out what your natural stock shot is, by this I mean if you swing easy with good contact how does the ball move - draw/straight/fade

align accordingly so if like me its a natural slight fade then I always aim at the left edge, never at the flag, occasionally I will hit one straight but as thats more of a fluke than an intention I never allow for it. If there is trouble left then I will aim slightly more central but still allowing enough green for the fade.

then I top it 20 yards :)

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
for me spot aiming with my irons really has helped.

If your not familarly with spot aiming this is picking a spot in front of your ball thats on the line you want to hit and then line yourself up for this spot. I think some people picking a spot a few feet away from the ball but I like a spot a few inches away from the ball.

When I'm hitting my shot I just concentrate on hitting my shot over this spot. Helps me take the majority of swing thoughts out of my head too. Obviously depends if you're hitting draws, fades or straight shots which line you pick. It's the best thing I've added to my game in the last 12 months. Works in putting for me too.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only played about ten rounds of golf so no handicap, have had a few lessons but I am doing another soon so will ask about that, think the biggest problem has been nerves. Played the other day and started really bad chasing my last score of 97 which was my best, relaxed and as so to speak gave up on beating my score and finished with a back 9 of 42 6 over par beating my last score with a 93.

Shaun,

Dont beat yourself up, you have only just started playing golf and you should find a little more form as you play more. I dont think you should be too concerned about hitting greens well at 150 out at the monment, just try and hit nice smooth shots and keep them out of trouble as best you can. Work a bit on your pitching/Chipping/putting and enjoy the game.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also look at the green and where the trouble is. If trouble is short take extra club(s) to go over it, or if the trouble is long you can afford to do the opposite. And at your level, go for the safe green area rather than, say a flag tucked right behind an evil bunker.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things that anoys me is two of the par threes on my course they are both arounf 160 - 170 and i think I should be ablw to make the green but i try maybe too hard and get nowhere near miss hit etc. I know I sould be able to hit this with a 5-6 iron (some on here could use a SW I understand ;)) but i dont make it very oftern. There is a 120 yard down hill and i nearlly always make this with a 9 iron so I feel I kind of should be ok on the others with more club.