Iron length vs loft query - advice needed

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I use a set of ping g30 irons (5-gap wedge) which i love and dont want to change. I hate hybrids and am comfortable hitting longer irons so am looking to pick up a 4 iron from the same range. The rest of my irons are 1.5 inch longer than standard which will be impossible to find in a single g30 iron.

Looking at the ping specs, the 4 iron is 3 degrees stronger than the 5, but in standard length would actually be 0.7 inch shorter than my 5 iron. Given this, would it even go any further than the 5 or is this a waste of time? Note that i dont want to lengthen an iron after buying.

Cheers.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you manage to buy one that needs a new grip lengthening the shaft is a simple task to do at the same time. The extension is just glued in to the top of the shaft before the grip is fitted.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know about cost, but I'm sure Ping would still be able to manufacture a G30? I seem to remember when the G30's came out American Golf were still selling G20's cheap, so they must manufacture a few lines at once.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably the biggest issue will be the difference in lie angle relative to your other clubs.

As to distance...you will have a lower ball speed launching lower with less spin. What that means in practice relative to different ground conditions will depend a lot on what your baseline is.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Your post is pointless. Why would you not want to lengthen the club to match your set? If the grip is decent it can be saved if not your about £12 for a decent grip and roughly £5 for the extension. Less than £20, hardly bank breaking costs.

Regards to your current specs, Ping will build you a 3 or 4 iron to the spec of your current irons, they will only require the current serial number (on the hosel) when you order. Personally I would be ordering what matches my set.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rather than trying to get the matching iron, have a look at the Pings G400 crossovers. I have always struggled with hybrids myself, and have just added a 3 crossover to my i20s, which are 1 inch longer than standard and 3 degrees upright.
The 3 (19*) crossover is longer than my 4 iron, and comes standard 1* upright with the graphite shaft. ( or at least the colour coding says it does).
It goes well too:)