Iron improvements?

Buckbeak

Visit site
Hi all,

Is there much difference in game improvement irons made, say, 7 years to those made today?

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my irons for a while. I currently use an old 2008 set of Nike cavity backs that I picked up second hand when I first started.

Unfortunately my budget isn’t the best, around £300 mark ideally, so I’d probably scout the second hand market. I’m a high handicapper (21) and often see the Ping G range recommended for my level, but the G25 is 7 years old now.

Has the iron market completely advanced since then and would I be better looking at new budget irons off the shelf (TM M2 for example)? Or would the G25s still hold their own?

And on that note, do you think I would see much difference between the Ping G25/30 to my Nike VRs?

Thanks all, any advice would be appreciated!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly don't think there can be a huge difference, other than the lofts being stronger. But were Nike's that good anyway? A lot of people say they weren't, I never used any though. G25s are probably better than them. But I don't think you need to go that far back if you have £300 to spend? I'm sure you can get a 4 year old set for that budget.

These for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mizuno-J...983226?hash=item421b0264ba:g:7NYAAOSwyoJe7h5c
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PING-G-S...190188?hash=item3fe2c041ac:g:~IQAAOSwNpZe2Dmi
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-cob...321821?hash=item1a9afb7a5d:g:PYMAAOSw4k5e74jO

They all came out in the last 4 years.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm sure you'll be fine with an older set. The less fashionable brands (cobra/cleveland) will give you more bang for your buck.
The golfing authorities have a number of regulations in place to prevent equipment being the determinate of golfing success. The advertising standards authorities maybe less so...

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Companies have had to strengthen the lofts due to moving weight in the heads in order to promote forgiveness and high MOI , although I do suspect the claims of more distance are an added benefit.

Honestly - I'd save your money until you can get fitted, and your irons will do nicely for now.

New irons are always nice and having a fitted set is like a fitted suit. You don't have to do it, but it does fit better.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say any difference is unlikely to provide a meaningful benefit.

Ultimately playing good shots is generally about confidence. So if you can convince yourself that the clubs you have are decent clubs and suitable for your game, then just power through.

I played some of my best golf last year with a set of 20 year old (maybe older) Ram irons that I got second hand when I started playing in 2010, and probably no one would give me £10 for.

My main set are now probably 8 year old Taylor Mades, and while I've thought plenty of replacing them, and of course I will at some point, it will just be because I want something shiny and new... I won't be expecting to go out and shoot the lights out with them.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
You could look at Benross clubs. You may be able to pick a new set in your budget if you shop around and they also can provide fitting if required.
Nike actually made some decent clubs so I wouldn't dismiss what you are using yet, and you can see if you can try them side-by-side.
Saying that, at the end of the day and we all look for that magic bullet ;).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think the only major benefit in iron tech I the last few years is and improvement in retention of launch, spin and speed from off centre hits.
Some of the modern irons ..you can hit them almost anywhere and they still "go"

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
If its any consolation, I used an old set of wilson pro staff oversized irons for a couple of years (no idea how old they were, got them from gumtree) but i'd say atleast 20 years old.

A few years ago i took the plunge on buying a more expensive pair that i'd tested out and liked, Ping G20s, which are a wee bit older than the G25s

Did it noticeably improve my game? No
Did it make my feel better, feel a bit more invested in the game and ultimately make me enjoy it more? - Yes

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a change as others have stated. Lower or better mass distribution allowing stronger lofts ..
I picked up some Ping EI irons for £180, off a second hand seller. Look around there are dedicated websites for used ping irons. Also callaway is the major GI producer .. XR OS is still a model available etc .
Or just get fresh grips in a different colour and give the clubs a good clean

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You could look at Benross clubs. You may be able to pick a new set in your budget if you shop around and they also can provide fitting if required.
Nike actually made some decent clubs so I wouldn't dismiss what you are using yet, and you can see if you can try them side-by-side.
Saying that, at the end of the day and we all look for that magic bullet ;).

You could get a new set of Benross Deltas for £300 from AG if you have family or a friend with NHS ID. Mate got a set at the w/e, they look decent for the money.

OllieM

Visit site
Some nice Callaway sets available on their preowned website. Picked up a full set of very good condition Rogue irons for £300 (10% off if you subscribe to their email alerts). Lots of choice for different shafts and lofts.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is a change as others have stated. Lower or better mass distribution allowing stronger lofts ..
I picked up some Ping EI irons for £180, off a second hand seller. Look around there are dedicated websites for used ping irons. Also callaway is the major GI producer .. XR OS is still a model available etc .
Or just get fresh grips in a different colour and give the clubs a good clean
Make sure you get the correct dot colour though.