Iron distance

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi once again. This isn't the usual how far can you hit each iron question. Im having real bad trouble since ive flattened my swing. Ive gone from hitting an 7 iron on average 150yards to only hitting 120-130. Everything has stayed the same except me flattening my swing. Any help would be appreciated.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
By flattening your swing you are probably not hitting down into the ball but rather picking it of the ground. This will not compress the ball into the clubface as much and will miss the sweetspot thus losing distance. Hit down dammit! :rolleyes:

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi once again. This isn't the usual how far can you hit each iron question. Im having real bad trouble since ive flattened my swing. Ive gone from hitting an 7 iron on average 150yards to only hitting 120-130. Everything has stayed the same except me flattening my swing. Any help would be appreciated.

Has your game become more accurate with the swing change?

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Nope. I was very accurate before but had a bad day at the range and a friend recommended flattening my swing as I had quite a steep angle of attack apparently.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk

Nope. I was very accurate before but had a bad day at the range and a friend recommended flattening my swing as I had quite a steep angle of attack apparently.

And your friend is an expert?

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nope. Just said it was something he was taught. One of my other friends today who is a very good golfer and if he was dedicated to golf probaly would be a pro said he didnt know why I changed it as I was hitting the ball well. He also did point out 3 things I was doing wrong. They were, My left knee is collapsing on the backswing and Im then not transferring my weight to my front foot for the down swing. The second was overswinging, apparently where my swing path is very flat and going very far round my body its just not going on the right path. And finally I have far to much body movement with this flat swing. Going to confirm this with the pro soon and try and rebuild the swing over the winter.