Ireland mega meet 2015

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow!

What a few days we had and stunning weather to match. Not going to write up stuff at this time, half the party will still be on the road so will let everyone get their beauty sleep before the ribbing begins.....there's plenty of it!!!!! However, some snippets.....

I checked behind my couch and it's all clear although I'll look again in the morning :D.

Wet ball count was huge although no exact numbers can be clarified.

Alan Partridge (absolutely priceless).

One of the funniest moments and quotes I will possibly ever see and hear on a golf course came from our beloved scouser on the Smurfit course. Utter genius.

Boarded ferry (home) with 7 minutes to spare.

Got off ferry and ran out of diesel within 400yrds, still port side. (Drivers fault..)

Both captains utterly useless. Twins not so.

Best steak in the whole wild world and American designed courses are crap.....

Mother and daughter combo (abreast...)

5 euro's. "Am I legally obliged"....... (Fight, fight, fight)

Cryptic at this stage of course (there's loads more) and maybe some will become public knowledge.....but perhaps most won't.

Oh aye, haven't mentioned the courses yet. Well, I'm sure this thread will continue a wee while yet and opinion was almost divided but I think the Mongomery won it for its golfing design and requirements whilst the back 9's at Druids Glen and the Palmer course won the most picturesque and scenic.

Birchy, top, top stuff once again mate. Glyn, everybody hates you. Apart from Jon.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the funniest moments and quotes I will possibly ever see and hear on a golf course came from our beloved scouser on the Smurfit course. Utter genius.

I don't know if that is the best ever comment... The pencil / elephant comment is still apparently legendary and got a mention on this your... Poor Scott witnessed both so will leave it up to him

Before I forget a big big thank you to all who organised it and played in my group.

And finally a big thank you to Glyn who covered my room service.... I don't care what u say he's a top bloke lol (let me know what I owe glyn)

And finally will the Yorkshire crew get proper handicaps for next year please!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just so you all get the bigger picture:-

get-attachment.aspx

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great trip... well worth the requirement to sleep at every opportunity...

Many thanks to everyone involved in the setting up & running of the event.... & particularly Glyn for getting us there &, just, back... top job done!!

Too many golfing high-lights to go through, but one of the most notable, non-golfing achievements was getting John to say, on the subject of immigration, "I'm not going to talk to you about it anymore!!"...... I was gutted. :confused:

D

Deleted member 17920

This detailed post reminded me of your golf.

A limited contribution.
2 mins for your reply? Even I am shocked at the level of stalking.

More detailed post later when I have time as I am busy at the minute :p

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't know if that is the best ever comment... The pencil / elephant comment is still apparently legendary and got a mention on this your... Poor Scott witnessed both so will leave it up to him

Before I forget a big big thank you to all who organised it and played in my group.

And finally a big thank you to Glyn who covered my room service.... I don't care what u say he's a top bloke lol (let me know what I owe glyn)

And finally will the Yorkshire crew get proper handicaps for next year please!

I thought been from Yorkshire was handicap enough! I just want to add my thanks to the organisers for all there stellar effort on organising the trip. Especially Glyn who did all the driving (even though you wouldn't let Ian near the wheel) All the courses were very enjoyable but the one that surprised me the most was the Monty at Carton House as I hadn't heard much about it before we went. The Smurfit course was also a great lay out, just in need of a little TLC. Suffice to say that the White Rose triumphed in Ireland and the cup is staying in Gods own country. :D

D

Deleted member 17920

Right,

guess I had better do a brief review of the Ireland trip.

well after driving though the night from lincolnshire to Leeds, Bolton and Liverpool, via the ferry and some irish country roads we arrived to a sunny Druids glen, found the course very nice played it from the sensible tees and although I chomped it around still enjoyed the course a lot, the par 3s are all stunners, the 18th is a cracking finishing hole as well, did find the presentation of the course could have been a little better.

onward to the hotel and the Hotel was cracking, rooms very good and the breakfast the next day was awesome.

Then a short drive to the next course and that was the o Meara at carton house and what a cracking course that is,really enjoyed it and some really good holes, plenty of room to thrash the driver about but you need to put well to make a score, the distance between greens and tees killed the people that didn't buggy in the morning, glad I chose the buggy option, the halfway house was one of the best I have ever been to, that chilli chicken wrap was very moreish, the course was really in good condition as well.

afternoon was the Montgomerie course at carton house and this is described as an inland links, lots of tough pot bunkers and if your not on your game it's very easy to rack up a cricket score, greens very firm and fast, I think a fair few of the group had this course as their favourite, I know John did but as it was the only course he played well all week this was always going to be the one:whistle:

Interesting check in at carton house as they hadn't booked us in, thankfully they had 6 rooms available so panic over. I thought the rooms at carton house were very average.

Played the Montgomerie course again the next day (well I didn't as I needed a rest)

Then it was short drive to the K Club and we enjoyed a late round on the smurfit course, not before a few detours with the minibus as the bridge across the river was way to small for the bus to fit on, really enjoyed the course as it had some cracking holes, presentation of the course was good but shame about the bunkers as they needed a good rake.

rooms at the k club I thought was fantastic, a real nice apartment for 4 to share, that would have been great for the full 3 nights.

and then it was to the Ryder cup palmer course at the K Club to finish, the layout of the course was good, interesting holes but I wasn't overawed like I thought I would be.

a mad dash to the ferry straight after playing then onto the ferry and the we had to have a nice wait at Holyhead docks after getting off whilst we found some minibus energy drink.

got home at 2.15am and have been exhausted since,never have I lost some many golf balls in one week and played so appalling but I loved every minute of the trip, wouldn't do 36 two days on the bounce again.

well done to chiefio for winning and wes 2nd and Dave 3rd some good scores by all you lads. Well done to all the other winners as well can't remember who won what but I do remember liverbirdie won zilch.

well done to my team for beating Liverbirdies guaranteed whitewash team, it just shows never underestimate the underdog. Even with goat track this is the worst course i have ever played on John , scouser and me on a team we still marched onto victory.

and a special mention to odvan for winning his £10 bet against someone who has forgot how to play golf and scored so bad all week, your smugness won't last long.

Cant believe how lucky we was with the weather as we had 4 days of no rain at all.

All in all I drove 800 miles, babysat 10 people for 4days and played crap but what a great trip, thanks to all that went and next year at trump promises to be another cracker.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glyn

You say u baby sat 10 people.... Who was the other that was old enough to take care of themselves....

Hilight of the trip for me was Peter having the cheek to ask his room mate to bring him breakfast in bed on the final day.... What a @#£&³£