Ireland hidden gems

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
May be having a flying visit to Ireland in April. Will be venturing between Dublin and limerick. At some point I want to do it properly, but in this occasion I’ll be golfing whilst the missus works.

So, any hidden bargains that you fine folk can recommend.

LGC2019

Visit site
If your in the Dublin area and want a game of golf that won't break the bank I'd recommend St Margaret's, although it is slightly North of Dublin so not on the way to Limerick if that's what your after. Played there a few years ago and although the weather was appalling on the day the course was superb. Our group all agreed it was excellent value for money.

https://www.stmargaretsgolf.com/

D

Deleted Member 1156

Are you just considering courses pretty much in a straight line between those points or are you prepared to make a bit of a detour? And if so, how much of a detour??

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Are you just considering courses pretty much in a straight line between those points or are you prepared to make a bit of a detour? And if so, how much of a detour??

Ideally I’d need to be able to get to golf and back to either Dublin or limerick within 7 hours....Including playing a round too

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Loads mate .
Pga national as said (now just palmerstown .) 30min
Naas itself 30min
Luttrelstown in lucan 20 min
Carton house on maynooth 2 courses 30nin
Druids heath and glen 40 min
K club around naas aswel . 30 min
Athy enjoyable ..1hr
Heritage near portlaoise on way 1hr 15

Kilkea castle just outside carlow newly opened in great condition 1hr
Approx from dublin
Travel south of dub depends on time of day and if m7 repairs are finished . 40mph for 12miles a pain ..

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Loads mate .
Pga national as said (now just palmerstown .) 30min
Naas itself 30min
Luttrelstown in lucan 20 min
Carton house on maynooth 2 courses 30nin
Druids heath and glen 40 min
K club around naas aswel . 30 min
Athy enjoyable ..1hr
Heritage near portlaoise on way 1hr 15

Kilkea castle just outside carlow newly opened in great condition 1hr

Travel south of dub depends on time of day and if m7 repairs are finished . 40mph for 12miles a pain ..

Thanks for those fella, i'll have a look later. Surely K Club doesn't fall into the Bargain section......

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Might be worth ordering a book from Amazon by Tom Coyne. A course called Ireland. A great read. He walks and plays every links course in Ireland. I’m sure that book will help your decision.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Balbriggan is a decent parkland north of Dublin that won't break the bank, we paid €20 to play an open last year and we're given a goodie bag with about €25 worth of stuff in it from that days sponsor of the open!

Bill, when did you leave Athy?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Balbriggan is a decent parkland north of Dublin that won't break the bank, we paid €20 to play an open last year and we're given a goodie bag with about €25 worth of stuff in it from that days sponsor of the open!

Bill, when did you leave Athy?
This is 2nd yr mate

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shame how Irish golf has gone bonkers expensive....used to do the west coast regularly....now haveny been in years.

It has but most courses over here have opens and I include a lot of the big names in that and most also offer reduced rates to GUI members so for us guys over here there are plenty opportunities to play at very reasonable prices.

In last couple of years I've played RCD for £60 and Royal Portrush for £50 as well as plenty other top end courses for no more than €60.

The big name south west courses are the ones who won't shift on their prices at all even for Irish residents and GUI members. I emailed them last year about prices for our annual few days away and it was over €800 for 4 rounds of golf.

Needless to say we went to another part of the country!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used to fish around Athy when we lived in Newbridge.

I was impressed with Naas when I played it last year. Some cracking holes, and much improved from when it was a 9 holer, and I was a junior there.
Yea Naas have spent alot of money on drainage no shortage of money or talent there .Newbridge GC a decent knock aswel . Did good work on it

Fishing still big around Athy