Introduction and plea for encouragment!

Visit site
Hi guys

Just joined the forum although been popping in to read the odd thread over the last month or so.

Started playing golf just before Christmas. Having lessons and improving, but just wondering how long its going to take me to get to a position where I'm able to enjoy actually playing a course rather more than I do now.

So, how good/bad am I? Well, firstly, my short game matches my expectations and exceeds my instructor's expectations. On the first short game lesson we had, he basically told me that he wasn't going to spend any more time on chipping or pitching because I didn't seem to have a problem. I'm also not too bad at putting, and working on my distance control. That's the good side of things.

On the other hand, my long game is very eratic although I'm told I have a good technique. It's not that I have any particular un-correctable faults. It is still taking me a good half dozen balls (on the range) to warm up to each iron and then I will probably hit another half a dozen shots really well (soft draw even) but then it goes pete tong and i'm back to fading everything off (with the odd cheeky hook thrown in for good measure). I'm (unsurprisingly) better with a 7 iron or shorter than I am with a 5 or 6 iron, and the less that is said about my long irons and woods, the better. I'm also far less confident off grass than I am off a mat.

I'm managing to get down to hte range twice, sometimes even three times during the week (normally for 50 balls a time). I've also played a few rounds at Otterbourne (a par 3/4 short course) and a few full rounds with friends at "proper" courses. However, i'm finding longer holes somewhat demoralising because I simply don't have the accuracy/distance off the tee. I'm fine if I can get close!

I had hoped that with practice/lessons etc. that I'd be far more comfortable with being out of a proper course by now, but that seems a long way off. My ultimate goal is not to be a tour pro, but I would like to play well enough to get a decent handicap and be able to compete in club competitions (competatively, not just for the fun of taking part). Golf isn't going to be my main hobby, but I do want to be able to play well enough to justify the investment of my time.

What I'm wondering (sorry, taken me a while to get to this!) is do I have realistic expectations of what I can achieve in golf, and how quickly can I achieve it? I'm reasonably fit and very determined but perhaps I need a bit of a reality check. How long did it take you guys to get confident to go out on the course and not embarrass yourselves?

Finally, I'm thinking of joining a local club shortly which has an academy membership (which includes more lessons and the ability to play the course in the afternoons). Is this going to be worth it or should I just plough the money into more range lessons?

Thanks guys, hoping to get a lot from this forum.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome and first thing to say is you are by no means alone, Golf is a frustrating game - it can be rewarding and punishing in equal measure.
The plus is that you seem very enthusiastic about the game and that can only be a good thing, you also seem to have some natural ability - which is more than some that come to the game.
Lessons are a good way to continue to improve, whether this be at the range or at a course. Membership has many advantages to a range in a social and playing sense, you will also find others in the same position at many a club that often help each other out.
Personally, I have been playing golf for over 25 years and I still strive to improve. Your expectations have to be realistic in the first few years that you will find a comfortable playing style, a swing and a strike that suit you and work for you. Once you have that it's up to you how far you then want to take it.
Golf comes in a few guises from the casual, friendly game through to the serious competitive medals and open competitions. So you do have a choice about how you approach the game.

Rule one for me is - relax, enjoy the game and let your game improve naturally, don't be tempted by quick fixes or trying to force it, from my observations that rarely works.

Ans again, welcome to the mad-house :thup:

Greig

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Short but sweet reply:-

My first round was 144, after 2-3 years was regularly beating 100.

I now play off 9 (21 years later) and my best is 4 under 66. I dont practice, have only had lessons in the last few weeks. The scores can tumble, but the journey to improvement is the best bit. I enjoyed golf the most when playing off about 15.

Join a club, get custom fitted once your regularly breaking 90/95. Most of all enjoy the game!!!

BTW, welcome.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get out and play some golf man! The range will still be there. As long as you don't hold up play (and if you do, let folk through) then there shouldn't be a problem, and by holding up play I don't mean you have to nail every fairway, I mean not taking forever finding balls, forever taking a shot, day dreaming while you should be playing etc. Plenty of people cant hit the ball a long way but don't hold things up either, and all the range work in the world isn't going to get you the experience you can only get on the course. Play, have fun, jot down your score but don't take too much notice of it for now, just see what parts of your game need improving in order for you to enjoy yourself.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to the golf madhouse! You are not alone in your worries, I gave up playing twice in my earlier years because I could not see myself ever getting onto the green on a par5 in 3 strokes. I started playing regularly last year and have since actually had a birdie on a par 5 and a few pars so don't be discouraged, if i can do it you can.

My advice would be to get lessons from a good pro and if you can join a club, do so. You will soon find that there are plenty of people like yourself and many improve rapidly. Don't be afraid the join in with roll-ups or similar games at a club, my experience is that the better players you get drawn with are very ready to provide a few tips and encouragement.

But remember - enjoy the good shots and bank them, forget the bad shots. Work on the positives.

Good luck.

joer422

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have not met a single person who is truly happy with there game and don't have bad rounds. everyone has there good and bad days on the course, If im not playing well i literally dont think about the golf at all just enjoy the day out and when i look at my scores on those days i actually improve alot on the holes i stop caring on.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
hello and welcome theres plenty of advice to be had on here! Join the club get out on the course and enjoy your scores will tumble as you play more, try setting your self realistic targets and mix up the practice and playing.

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum mate. I started a couple of months before you at the end of August last year. Good to read some of the replies here for myself as I have found it very difficult learning the game through the winter months.

I have had lessons since I started but changed pros a month or so back. My first pro although a nice chap, didn't help me with the issues I was having. However, my new pro has been absolutely fantastic and I'm just beginning to start to see the benefits. My scores aren't quite there yet, as still only beginning to score below 110. I'm just starting to feel everything is starting to come together and I can go for a round with my mates and enjoy it, rather than hacking around the course.

You have a lot of similar worries to myself. It will come and although easier said than done at this stage, but enjoy it. When it goes well, it really is a fantastic sport. This forum is brilliant as it is so welcoming to players at very level of the game. :thup:

Which course are you thinking of joining? I have just joined Hockley down the road from you.

Last edited:
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm also thinking of joining Hockley. Their academy scheme sounds quite good, although need to find out some more info, like range costs (presume its not free!).

I can't justify the cost of membership at T
Royal Winchester or South Wichester yet. All three are very close by which is good. Alternatively, I'm up and down the A34 most days so was thinking about the "points" membership at The Hampshire.

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hockley is a great course. Stays in great condition all year round. No temporary greens or winter mats, or at least not since I joined 2 months ago. It is quite a difficult course compared to others I have played in the area. The range at the course is not expensive. About £1 for 34 balls although I can't remember exactly. I've seen many people bring their own balls for the chipping and putting area.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome from another relative newcomer to golf. Started playing last Feb, played a few rounds here and there before joining a club around May. 1st handicap 28 and still off 28 however I do score low-mid 90's regular except in comps (when it counts grrrr).

My advice is just enjoy it, dont aim to high to quick. Practice is fine but you can;t beat 18 holes whatever the score as guaranteed theres always 1 shot or hole that puts a whacking big smile on your face and a renewed swagger to the next tee :)

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Welcome welcome :) please don't make the mistake I did and play 'golf swing' for two and a half years. Nothing makes you better than getting out on a course, unless you are working on something specific. I'm superb off a mat but my concentration, course management, adaptability, ability to platforms variety of lies, dealing with the elements and getting that small white sphere into the hole are all a very different proposition from smacking a bucket of balls.

Have fun and keep us posted :D

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stick with it matey and it will get better trust me. Mix it up some course time and some practice not all of one and none of the other. Soon as you feel something is wrong with your swing then take advice from a pro and dont do what I did and try and fix the fault yourself as it causes more pain in the long run. Good luck and dont expect to much to soon.

grizzler

Club Champion
Visit site
liverbirdie is right the journey to improvement is the best part of golf, once the scores start coming down the game is more addictive than any drug! my advice would be start with a short swing and try to keep the ball in play, dont try to hit it as far as the pro's! the more practice you get, preferrably on the course, the less bad shots you'll hit. enjoy :thup:

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome!

Took my nephew out the other day and although he is not a novice, he plays so irregularly that he almost could be. Spent more time on the range than the course.

He started off the round not so well but 4 holes in he was really enjoying himself and relaxing. Gave him a few tips and at the end of the round he had gotten the bug.

What surprised me is that I'm a better coach than golfer ...... :-(. :)

gumbo84

Medal Winner
Visit site
I,m another newbie really, i started playing in August last year. so far i havn't had any lessons and to be honest i don't really go to the range too much as i feel it gives me false hope when i get on the course, how i hit on the range isnt the same as the course as there's so many different factors that change.

I generally hit around the low 100's mark which i,m happy with for 6/7 months of playing.

I love the game and i,m always up for a game on a sunday morning if you fancy one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Now you've had some lessons you need to put what you've gained into practice and there is only one place to do that. Get out and play. It really doesn't matter too much about the score but its about enjoying the game

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome. It sounds as though you are doing the right things in getting lessons and working on what is taught. Now get out there and enjoy the forthcomming long hot summer days on the course!

One question - you say you are better off of mats. Why do you think that is?