Internal OOB

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hadley Wood - the IOOB only applies when playing the 13th hole. When you are playing the 16th coming back the other way it's not OOB if you cross the markers.

The yellow line is the straight route from tee to green

View attachment 43151

thats the course I was thinking of. Assuming the course had a slight re-route then judging by your previous comment about it not being a thing when designed?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Hadley Wood example reminded me that there is, or certainly was, one on Donnington Grove, from memory between 11 and 12, that might only be applicable on 11, but I'm not certain. As there were trees planted on the mound between the 2 holes, the 'problem' might have also been solved since I last played it many years ago.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Hadley Wood example reminded me that there is, or certainly was, one on Donnington Grove, from memory between 11 and 12, that might only be applicable on 11, but I'm not certain. As there were trees planted on the mound between the 2 holes, the 'problem' might have also been solved since I last played it many years ago.
Must be a herts thing, as ours is also 1 way, and I'm pretty certain that Panshanger has at least one hole with a similar feature.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Must be a herts thing, as ours is also 1 way, and I'm pretty certain that Panshanger has at least one hole with a similar feature.
I certainly can't remember one. And one of the guys I play there with can certainly be wayward at times, so I'd expect to have remembered.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I certainly can't remember one. And one of the guys I play there with can certainly be wayward at times, so I'd expect to have remembered.
It's between the 18th and 3rd (so right side of 18, left side of the 3rd) iirc. I think they are only in play for the 18th, to stop people cutting the dogleg by going via 13.
It's mentioned in the description of the hole in this vid :
(you need to open it in youtube to read the notes).
Having said that, it's a while since I've been there, and I'm not sure how they've been maintained of late.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's between the 18th and 3rd (so right side of 18, left side of the 3rd) iirc. I think they are only in play for the 18th, to stop people cutting the dogleg by going via 13.
It's mentioned in the description of the hole in this vid :
(you need to open it in youtube to read the notes).
Having said that, it's a while since I've been there, and I'm not sure how they've been maintained of late.
That was the only one I wasn't certain about. Mate has certainly been in/near the trees on the right often enough and it does ring bells. I always aim at the left bunker as it's out of reach for me. Been a long time since I've played it though as it's a bit squidgy in Winter. But happy to concede 18 has internal OOB right.

sunshine

Visit site
thats the course I was thinking of. Assuming the course had a slight re-route then judging by your previous comment about it not being a thing when designed?

There used to be 2 holes in the field to the left of where the 13th tee is today. The 13th was a par 3 playing from the top of the hill down to the current 13th green. 3rd, 4th and 10th are not original holes, hence the awkward walk from 9th green to 10th tee. There were 27 holes, there has been a lot of change over 100 years, most of it a result of WW2. Interesting history!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There used to be 2 holes in the field to the left of where the 13th tee is today. The 13th was a par 3 playing from the top of the hill down to the current 13th green. 3rd, 4th and 10th are not original holes, hence the awkward walk from 9th green to 10th tee. There were 27 holes, there has been a lot of change over 100 years, most of it a result of WW2. Interesting history!
Interesting. The 13th green is pretty extreme (read: I'm always on the wrong part of it), and it maybe makes more sense as a par 3 where you're coming in at a nice angle from a flat tee, rather than from a horrid angle and an awkward lie (cough).
Is this history online? I normally try and get a round in at HW once a year, and would be nice to read up.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So the 'failure of course design' comment in he OP could be appropriate - but as one 'forced' by other changes.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is one at Pedham, 15th , I think. Hole is a 90* dogleg so the big hitters could drive over it to the green. As it's a blind shot they put the Internal oob in to stop this on safety grounds

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There is one at Pedham, 15th , I think. Hole is a 90* dogleg so the big hitters could drive over it to the green. As it's a blind shot they put the Internal oob in to stop this on safety grounds
I seem to remember that hole/situation. Only played it a couple of times - in its early days - both in a meet of/via another forum. I think in the 1st meet, a couple of the big hitters either did go for it or were disappointed, but not surprised that it had been protected.
I'm a little surprised, but pleased, it's still going, as the setup seemed to have been a 'low investment' one that typically folds after a few years.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem is the water feature, which is too big and off-putting for players who are not confident in getting the bal in the air from the first tee.

Funny enough, at the Pro-Am, some pros playing off the black tee preferred to do the same, because the landing area is a bit wider and flatter going down the 7th.

i don't think it is ever a tactical decision off the whites - lake not intimidating to nearly anyone - but a different story from Blacks, when going down 7 was a tactical choice even before the lake lake magically appeared

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We have two internal out of bounds, but as a Colt course I am not sure this is a design fault. They are only OB playing one way, and we’re almost certainly introduced at a later date for players safety. We tried removing them a few years back, and it suddenly became more dangerous and the experiment was cancelled after just a couple of weeks. There was little if any advantage on playing down the wrong hole.

Early courses were built on small areas of land. Just look at the Old Course at St Andrews where tees are very close to greens. Holes run side by side on nearly every course, and by adding an internal OB it makes most players play away from the trouble and hopefully make them safer which seems quite important to me. ?

Personally I think a design fault, especially on newer courses is the huge walks from greens to the next tee. Would much rather play a traditional older course, Colt, Braid etc than some of the modern courses without an internal OB?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I seem to remember that hole/situation. Only played it a couple of times - in its early days - both in a meet of/via another forum. I think in the 1st meet, a couple of the big hitters either did go for it or were disappointed, but not surprised that it had been protected.
I'm a little surprised, but pleased, it's still going, as the setup seemed to have been a 'low investment' one that typically folds after a few years.
It's still a really enjoyable course, just a little rough around the edges (still). Par 3 course is still there and fun.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
i don't think it is ever a tactical decision off the whites - lake not intimidating to nearly anyone - but a different story from Blacks, when going down 7 was a tactical choice even before the lake lake magically appeared

Not intimidating to you or I, natch, but I hear that some who play from the reds are less confident.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I once read a well respected golf architect who argued that internal OOB was a tacit admission of a failure of golf course design. I agree, and I will point out that my course has recently introduced internal OOB, due to a new water feature posing a challenge to some players from the tee that they chose to deal with by playing down an adjacent fairway instead.
What’s the carry over the “water feature” (I believe it has to be referred to as that)?
My understanding has always been that one of the aspects of decent course design is to get players away ‘gently’ by offering a relative straightforward first hole, it would seem that has been taken away here.
Anyway, am I right in thinking that it wasn’t a golf architect that instigated the water feature, but the owner of the golf club?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's still a really enjoyable course, just a little rough around the edges (still). Par 3 course is still there and fun.
That's exactly the right description!
As if a farmer decided to diversify/change/reduce a low productive area into something other than housing - just yet.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the carry over the “water feature” (I believe it has to be referred to as that)?
My understanding has always been that one of the aspects of decent course design is to get players away ‘gently’ by offering a relative straightforward first hole, it would seem that has been taken away here.
Anyway, am I right in thinking that it wasn’t a golf architect that instigated the water feature, but the owner of the golf club?

even from the new back "white" tees (old blacks), which are still only used some of the time, it can't be more than 120 yards so should not be an issue to 99% of male golfers on length. And TBH the black tees are not for higher handicap golfers so i see the new lakes as more visual eye candy than a real issue. I can find any lake with ease and i still have not gone in it - while i must have a few scakfulls of balls in the other lakes on 8,9, 10, 13 and 14!