interlock/overlap grip - time for a change?

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Chose the interlock grip when I started golf as it felt more natural and have been using it ever since. Recently have been getting stiff fingers (4&5) on right hand and thought I must be swinging wrongly. Mentioned at my last lesson and my current pro said it might just be the interlock grip and that most tour players use overlap. I didn't change at first as it felt awkward, but tried it on the range today and was well pleased. It made me relax my right hand more and seemed to help in 'firming up my left side' (as currently instructed). feels like a eureka moment and can't wait until Wednesday :( to get out and try it on the course.
any thoughts on best grips or benefits of changing?
(Trying to add a poll on grips but browser timing out).
Cheers

AliB

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ali

Ben Hogan said, "If a grip change doesn't feel funny, then you haven't made a grip change."

Persevere with what your trying and hopefully it will come good for you.

Andy

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My grip is the most changed thing about my game Ali.
I played cack-handed until I was about 21 and I did alright with it, probably playing to about 17. Then I stopped improving and I realized that everyone was right when they said it was crazy playing like that. I then changed to right hand low, but with a baseball grip and it felt bloody awful to start with,(just try hitting a few balls cackhanded next time you're at the range to give you an idea) but I persevered at the range until one ball,(and I can clearly remember it) I hit a big long, high draw. Something I wasn't capable of doing before.
That was fine, and I played like that until last year when I seemed to hit a wall again,(regarding my handicap). I couldn't get below 14.
So I changed again to the Vardon, and again it felt wrong (Not quite as bad as previously to be fair) but after some perseverence and some crazy duck hooks, it's all coming good again and I feel I'm well on my way to single figures.
It's natural to fear change. I used to, but I don't now and neither should you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have always interlocked as I have quite small hands. Had a lesson with my pro on Friday and my grip is fine apparently. Just the posture, turn, weight transfer and lateral head movement to cure now then

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started with an interlocking grip, but found 'this little finger on my right' was really sore for days after.

I now overlap and have no problems with pain.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Atticus
thanks for the encouragement.
Seems like a tiny change to make - hand position on clubs not really different, but the effect was noticeable.I have a very strong preference for my right hand in everything and hoping this will counteract the effects.
I dare say I have not found 'the secret of golf' as there is no such thing, but hoping it will at least be a step forward.

AliB

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stick with it Ali,it was the final key to me getting to single figures.

I know that the 2 greatest golfers ever interlock and that it is not "wrong" but the Vardon gave me a more neutral hold on the club.

Good luck.