Intelligent golf.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You do have booking times at weekends for roll ups, you said it’s on the website, therefore, only people wishing to play in said roll ups will turn up at that time, members who would like to play at that time and not in the roll up are denied those times!
It seems to me your roll ups are a powerful clique and are probably the main protagonists against a booking system being brought in.
Have to agree with this in that 'technically' we have some booking. Societies can book during the week. Seniors and ladies have times allocated for them during the week. The Wednesday roll up (that is not a roll up as it is closed to people joining now) has a time and so there is tacit booking that goes on without a formal system.

D

Deleted member 16999

After all me whinging about tee times, sent a txt to PPs to say I was going an hour early to see if it is quiet due to weather and we might get out, got to course at 10.25. I was informed that the 10.00, 10.24 and 10.40 rptee times had been cancelled that morning. ???Grrrrrr.
we were told that as all three of us were there at 10.45 to go straight out. There were 6 waiting on the first tee. We went to the 10th, played half a hole and two guys were stood on the tee behind so we let them through. They got to green and a 3 ball were stood on the tee. So we picked up and played half of the 18th, walked across to the 15 th and played 15-18. Then two holes on the par three and said stuff it when the rain was coming sideways. Only positive found about 20odd balls between us.
We have BRS, Club Comps open on a thursday in the clubhouse, 9 days prior.
The system then goes live at 9:00am the next day.
BRS is available outside of comps 4 weeks in advance, we are encouraged to use it or at a minimum check it prior to visiting.
Pointless turning up to find a society has the next 1-2 hours booked.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
To my mind the other positive with tee time bookings and, by default, is that rounds can be timed and pace of play more accurately monitored - IF, and it's a big IF, players were to adhere to their tee time.
With no tee booking, and presumably, no starter, it's a case of 'go when you're ready' which usually is 'go when the group in front have played their 2nd shot' (assuming it's not a Par 3, as is the case at Ascot).
Even if a club has no booking system but does have a 'tee time' system, I bet most players will 'go when ready' and not at predetermined times, e.g. 9.00,9.08, 9.16, 9.24 etc.
This invariably leads to hold ups later in the round.
Interestingly the R&A Pace of Play manual suggests Starting Intervals of 8 mins for 2 balls, 10 mins for 3 balls, and possibly an increase on this should be considered for 4 balls. The most I have come across is 10 minute intervals but even then players were itching to 'get away' before their allocated time.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
If a club has tee times were you are teeing off an hour late, there is exceptional circumstances for that to happen. If it is a regular occurrence the club has major problem. Never been longer than 5 mins wait on our first tee and I will bet that was years ago.
Lucky you.
Our correspondent from Royal Ascot with 61,000+ posts to his name, has on more than one occasion vented his irritation at arriving at his club expecting to get off for a round or few holes only to find a load of 'green fees' waiting to play. (I'm not sure if he would be as irritated if it was a load of members though as I don't recall seeing a post regarding that).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To my mind the other positive with tee time bookings and, by default, is that rounds can be timed and pace of play more accurately monitored - IF, and it's a big IF, players were to adhere to their tee time.
With no tee booking, and presumably, no starter, it's a case of 'go when you're ready' which usually is 'go when the group in front have played their 2nd shot' (assuming it's not a Par 3, as is the case at Ascot).
Even if a club has no booking system but does have a 'tee time' system, I bet most players will 'go when ready' and not at predetermined times, e.g. 9.00,9.08, 9.16, 9.24 etc.
This invariably leads to hold ups later in the round.
Interestingly the R&A Pace of Play manual suggests Starting Intervals of 8 mins for 2 balls, 10 mins for 3 balls, and possibly an increase on this should be considered for 4 balls. The most I have come across is 10 minute intervals but even then players were itching to 'get away' before their allocated time.
This I didn’t know. And outta interest I would imagine that most courses book at 8 min intervals yet most folk go out in four Ball’s.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most likely only to happen at members clubs.
My experience of proprietary clubs is that they will do firstly what suits them best as a business, whilst "taking account" of members requests but by by no means "doing" what the members want.
To a degree it's applicable to both - we went from a 100% roll up club during what was designated members times (before 12 weekends) outside competitions which were 100% booked, to a part roll up / mainly booked approach because some members pressured management to do so. They only wanted to play within their game and they wanted to know when they were teeing off before they arrived at the club (without having to arrive an hour or so earlier).
Management's objective is always to meet the needs and wants of as much of the membership as possible - not rocket science, and no difference to a committee. If there's a difference it's a matter of degrees and, generally, management will compromise quicker whilst committees will focus more strongly on the majority (and sometime wider perceived aspects)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After all me whinging about tee times, sent a txt to PPs to say I was going an hour early to see if it is quiet due to weather and we might get out, got to course at 10.25. I was informed that the 10.00, 10.24 and 10.40 rptee times had been cancelled that morning. ???Grrrrrr.
we were told that as all three of us were there at 10.45 to go straight out. There were 6 waiting on the first tee. We went to the 10th, played half a hole and two guys were stood on the tee behind so we let them through. They got to green and a 3 ball were stood on the tee. So we picked up and played half of the 18th, walked across to the 15 th and played 15-18. Then two holes on the par three and said stuff it when the rain was coming sideways. Only positive found about 20odd balls between us.

So because of a queue on the 1st, did you personally take it upon yourselves to go to the 10th?

Do you not have split tee time blocks on the 1st & 10th to separate 2-balls, 3-balls & 4-balls to avoid congestion on the turn?

Are you allowed to walk across and zig zag holes not playing them in turn?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So because of a queue on the 1st, did you personally take it upon yourselves to go to the 10th?

Do you not have split tee time blocks on the 1st & 10th to separate 2-balls, 3-balls & 4-balls to avoid congestion on the turn?

Are you allowed to walk across and zig zag holes not playing them in turn?

Our course is a relaxed in the sense that all games to start at the 1st unless you ask to play the back nine. If the green is clear on the 9th, which you can see from the club shop then no problems. The trouble is with that in this instance. Heavy plant is on the course to redefine some bunkers so heavy plant was sat in front of the ninth green so a temp Green was 50 yd in front of the green. Plus on comp day a lot of the seniors only play nine holes so the back nine is millionaires golf.
Like last Thursday we went out behind two women’s four balls. Only they were nowhere to be seen, they had asked to play the back nine as they were only playing nine. It was empty. Common sense and courtesy meant getting out of the way of folk who had already played nine.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We went to an all booked system mainly to give every member a chance to get a game when they wanted particularly at weekends and partly because it made us more like more civilised people. Prior to bringing it we had a ball chute, at weekends in particular, players were turning up at 5.30 in the morning to form a queue to put their ball in the chute operative from 30 minutes before the course opened to players. Our regular group used to arrive around 9.00 am put a ball in the chute and know we then had around a 2 hour wait to start to play.

We have members that live 20 or miles away from the club and they were complaining that they had driven all the way to the club only to find they could not get a game

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You do have booking times at weekends for roll ups, you said it’s on the website, therefore, only people wishing to play in said roll ups will turn up at that time, members who would like to play at that time and not in the roll up are denied those times!
It seems to me your roll ups are a powerful clique and are probably the main protagonists against a booking system being brought in.
Roll ups are fully inclusive to any member to play. The published times on the website are a guide to let members, especially new members know when these groups go out. If the roll up goes out and there are other members already waiting to go out then they have no right to go in front of them and have to wait in turn. I wouldn't say the roll up groups are powerful cliques. As I said all are pretty friendly and accommodating and they have no powers to influence club policy regarding booking times.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lucky you.
Our correspondent from Royal Ascot with 61,000+ posts to his name, has on more than one occasion vented his irritation at arriving at his club expecting to get off for a round or few holes only to find a load of 'green fees' waiting to play. (I'm not sure if he would be as irritated if it was a load of members though as I don't recall seeing a post regarding that).

Irritated possibly but fortunately in the grand scheme of things something that doesn't happen frequently. There is the option of starting on the 10th subject to players coming around from the 9th (and the numbers on the tee already). The irritation would apply equally if it was a number of members waiting to go out too but as I've said it is an infrequent problem

D

Deleted member 16999

Roll ups are fully inclusive to any member to play. The published times on the website are a guide to let members, especially new members know when these groups go out. If the roll up goes out and there are other members already waiting to go out then they have no right to go in front of them and have to wait in turn. I wouldn't say the roll up groups are powerful cliques. As I said all are pretty friendly and accommodating and they have no powers to influence club policy regarding booking times.
You have stated the roll up times are published on the website and now you say they are only a guide, so if the roll up is published from 10:00-11:00 for example and 5 x 4 balls turn up at 9:50 to play, who goes first? You’re suggesting the roll up guys are delayed until the 5 x 4 balls have gone. Is that really the situation or in reality would the 4 balls be told they can’t tee off until after the roll up?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You have stated the roll up times are published on the website and now you say they are only a guide, so if the roll up is published from 10:00-11:00 for example and 5 x 4 balls turn up at 9:50 to play, who goes first? You’re suggesting the roll up guys are delayed until the 5 x 4 balls have gone. Is that really the situation or in reality would the 4 balls be told they can’t tee off until after the roll up?

No booking times so in theory the roll up waits. Dependant on how many went out early in your 9.50 example, if there wasn't much traffic coming down the 9th it would be feasible for the roll up to start on the 10th. Often happens on a Saturday when the mid-morning one (quite large in number) goes out and either because of the size of the field or number of members wanting to play and waiting on the tee, that they'll split and some will go off the back.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
No booking times so in theory the roll up waits. Dependant on how many went out early in your 9.50 example, if there wasn't much traffic coming down the 9th it would be feasible for the roll up to start on the 10th. Often happens on a Saturday when the mid-morning one (quite large in number) goes out and either because of the size of the field or number of members wanting to play and waiting on the tee, that they'll split and some will go off the back.
Looks to me like a tee booking system would sort this out. Couldn't stand it if it's pot luck as to what time I will be playing and which tee I will be playing off. Could accept it if it's an occasional occurrence. Don't understand reluctance to implement a booking system, there are so many benefits to both members and management. What's the objection ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Looks to me like a tee booking system would sort this out. Couldn't stand it if it's pot luck as to what time I will be playing and which tee I will be playing off. Could accept it if it's an occasional occurrence. Don't understand reluctance to implement a booking system, there are so many benefits to both members and management. What's the objection ?
Especially when they block book the tee for comps, o_O
Seems more restrictive not having a booking system.