Insurance required for a learner driver.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking of giving my 22 year old grandson some additional driving practice time.
While he's still taking lessons (automatic) with an instructor.
Would I need additional insurance ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might not be as scary as you may think. As a learner you are always in the car with someone who has passed. You shouldn't be taking risks etc.

You will need to get them covered but the price doesn't get really scary until they've passed and can go out on their own.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Might not be as scary as you may think. As a learner you are always in the car with someone who has passed. You shouldn't be taking risks etc.

You will need to get them covered but the price doesn't get really scary until they've passed and can go out on their own.
Exactly this. When we insured our son when he was learning to drive, it was only about £100 extra for the year in a Ford Fiesta.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Good luck. Car insurance has rocketed in the last year. We've just gone through the process for my missus and some of the quotes were eye watering. I did a lot of searching but it was still about 20% up from last year.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good luck. Car insurance has rocketed in the last year. We've just gone through the process for my missus and some of the quotes were eye watering. I did a lot of searching but it was still about 20% up from last year.
Yes, mine jumped about the same %, now I'm paying £379 despite a SP30 endorsement being dropped.
I think I'll forget giving him extra practice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It might be easier just to go any driver rather than a named person.

You should bear in mind the excess on a policy as these will be set by the age of the driver.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It might be easier just to go any driver rather than a named person.

You should bear in mind the excess on a policy as these will be set by the age of the driver.
I have full comp any driver but I thought they might require a full licence.
But I remember many years ago giving my wife a few lessons, that didn't end well lol

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have full comp any driver but I thought they might require a full licence.
But I remember many years ago giving my wife a few lessons, that didn't end well lol

If you have fully comp any driver just read the policy for any special terms and conditions.

Both of my kids were not specified on my policy but it was a few years ago.

Just sitting in with my daughter was quite a stressful time for us (son was fine). She was having lessons with a driving school and it was just extra practice I was doing. Her instructor let me sit in with them a couple of times so I could see what he was teaching. My driving lessons were last century so a lot of bad habits I was trying not to pass on.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I used to be a motorcycle instructor and when my ex wanted to learn to ride, I said not a problem but one of the other instructors could teach her.
Teaching your own family is always a challenge as they are more likely to challenge your instructions far more than they would with someone else they don't know, even if they are similarly qualified.

Last edited: