Initial hcp 9-hole cards

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hope some knowledgeable experts can clarify.

A player submits cards for initial hcp. All cards are for 9 holes (ie submitted 6x 9 holes cards).

How would a LAGD be calculated in this case? E.g. if the best gross over 9 holes was 49 on par 34 with no more than a triple bogey on the card?

Thank you for any advice.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need the official SSS of the 9 hole course. Par is not a true measure of course difficulty.

Then apply Clause 16.3

1. Adjust any score of more than double par at any hole to a score of double par (i.e. 6 on a Par 3, 8 on a Par 4 and 10 on a Par 5).

2. Add the nine-hole scores (if applicable) to make up 18-hole equivalents in chronological order. If a club has more than one Designated Nine-Hole Courses each pair of nine-hole scores must be returned over courses having the same Designated Nine-Hole SSSs for the gender of player concerned.

3. Calculate the Adjusted Gross Differential (‘AGD‘) scores from the three 18 hole (or 18-hole equivalent) scores; these scores being calculated by comparing the returns relative to the SSS’s of the courses/tees used: AGD = Adjusted Gross Score – SSS for the course/tees used Determine the Lowest Adjusted Gross Differential (‘LAGD‘) from the three Adjusted Gross Differentials

4. Reduce the resulting LAGD according to the formula;
Initial Handicap = (LAGD + (LAGD*0.13))/ 1.237 truncated to provide a whole number.

For example, a player with a Lowest Adjusted Gross Differential of 31 is allotted an initial handicap of 28 (which is recorded as an Exact Handicap of 28.0) as shown below: Initial Handicap = (31 + (31*0.13))/1.237 = (31 + 4.03)/1.237 = (35.03/1.237) = 28.31 truncated to 28 and recorded as an Exact Handicap of 28.0.

Last edited:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

So if the last two 9-hole rounds (that happened to be the best) are adjusted gross 49 and 50, it makes the total gross 99 on the par 2*34=68.

Then LAGD = 99 - 68 = 31

And the initial hcp then is 28?

The only unclear thing then is that while one can make up a round from two 9-hole rounds (front 9 only) and relate it to the par, there is no SSS in this case as SSS for the whole course not for two front nines?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If there is no 9 hole SSS, you don't have a measured course and cannot retrurn a qualifying score for your handicap. But be aware that the SSS of a 9 hole course shows as if it were for 18 holes e.g. SSS 69. There might be one and you haven't noticed because of that.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) You do not use par. You must use the SSS (it may be different).

2a) Has the front 9 been rated for 9 hole scores/competitions ?
2b) Has the back 9 been rated for 9 hole scores/competitions ?

3) If there is no 9 hole SSS rating, the scores cannot be use for Initial Allocation nor for any competition or supplementary Qualifying Scores.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
PS If your club has not applied for 9 hole ratings I suggest they do asap. Providing the 18 hole tees have been rated recently under the new USGA system, then it is only a paper exercise for your national authority (England Golf?) and just takes a day or so.
You should then be able to process the cards retrospectively. (But don't take that as the official line).

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In simple terms; you cannot choose to submit 9 hole cards for handicapping from a course that only has an 18 hole rating...

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you for all replies. The club does run 9-hole qualifiers (been advertised in the email recently) so I'd imagine they have done what's needed. Must be just me being not aware, will check.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you for all replies. The club does run 9-hole qualifiers (been advertised in the email recently) so I'd imagine they have done what's needed. Must be just me being not aware, will check.
In that case they must have an SSS for any 9 used for qualifiers