Initial Handicap Question

jimmusuk

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I do not have a handicap, don't play in comps (yet) and don't plan too until I am much more capable. I am also not a member of a club (yet) mainly because my fav course won't let single players go round (don't have enough golf mates to play with every time I fancy a game) so doing some research on other local courses to find the most suitable.

Anyway, with regards to an handicap, I obv. need to submit 3 score cards to my club (when I join) or one of these online handicap providers. I have noticed that once you have a handicap it can be quite slow in reducing it e.g. it decreases in 0.1's?

Am I right in thinking if I wanted a handicap of 20-25 it would be faster to wait until I am going round in average 20-25 over as opposed to starting out with a handicap of 28 and trying to work my way down to 20-25?

Thanks in advance

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Handicap of 28 means you're in category 4 so for every shot below the CSS -Competition standard scratch- your handicap comes down by 0.4.
So if you return a score that is 5 below CSS you get cut 2 full shots.
Category 3 begins around 21.4 (i think) and then you come down by .3
Category 2 begins around 12.4 - .2 reduction
Category 1 is from 5.4 and you come down .1 each shot

YOu go up .1 if you're score is above the buffer zone. For cat4's that's 4 shots above CSS. So if you return a score 6 over CSS then you just go up .1

Complicated innit?

I wouldn't worry about waiting. Once you join a club get those cards in asap and start playing. I waited until I thought I was "good enough" to join and put my cards in. First handicap was 15! I was good enough long before.....

jimmusuk

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great replies thanks guys.

OK so i'd enter at cat 4 meaning the possiblity of change is very high anyway, would only take a few rounds to lower that cap IF i was playing well of course.

Ahuh, it sucks, weekdays, weekends and even in winter IF its not dead.

http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.uk/index.php?contentId=24

From their site:
"Whilst we do not offer advance bookings to single players, we make every effort to join single players with 2 or 3 ball matches (with their consent) when the course is busy.

If the course is quiet (typically in the winter) we allow singles to tee off on their own....so if you are on your own and want to play, please pay us a vist and we'll do our best to help. "

I've enquired on 3 occasions in the past couple months as to if I can tee off as a single, each time been rejected, one of those times was weekday the other 2 weekend.

I then sent an email to the club asking if a full member would have the right to tee off as a single player and was also advised that it's unlikely:

"Hi Jim,

Yes, booking as a single isn’t allowed, but we aren’t here to stop people playing (!!) so we make every effort to help single players to join up with others or if the course is quiet…winter for example…we allow a single to tee off on their own….weekends are very difficult for singles, so we are normally unable to assist then.

I hope this helps"

It's a shame as I like the course, like the clubhouse, the guys running the place seem really nice and helpful plus its 2 minutes from my house and on my route home from work (summer evening t-off!).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. If the course is busy, they don't want 18 1 balls taking up 3 hours of tee times, when they could have sold 4 balls and made 4 x the money.

Most courses don't like singles booking, but there are often groups going out you can join.

How will you ever meet new people to expand your 'mates you can play with', if you never join up with any one.

jimmusuk

Medal Winner
Visit site
That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. If the course is busy, they don't want 18 1 balls taking up 3 hours of tee times, when they could have sold 4 balls and made 4 x the money.

Most courses don't like singles booking, but there are often groups going out you can join.

How will you ever meet new people to expand your 'mates you can play with', if you never join up with any one.

I am not confident enough with my ability to play with randomers. I dont even want myself seeing half my shots, let alone people I don't know!

Not a good way to encourage beginners thats for sure IMO. The other local courses I play (within 30 mins drive) all let me play on my own so I will likely join one of those courses.

Once I can get around without too much trouble then i'll happily group up with people although saying that I much prefer playing on my own, spose i'm used to years of carp fishing on my own lol

I reckon implementing a rule of 1 single tee off per hour or something would be a good balance, course won't be packed with singles, gives singles the option to group or wait for the hourly slot. In the long run theyd probably make more money letting me play single as when my mates want to play I will drag them all to this greta course that allows singles?!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But using your suggestion, at the weekend, when it could be busy, they will still be losing a minimum of about £75 an hour, for 7 hours on each day, so say £1050 over the weekend so you can play on your own. That's not good business either.

jimmusuk

Medal Winner
Visit site
@ £20 per round (Adult wknd prices) the minimum they would lose would be £20 per/hour x 14 (sat/sun) hours = £280 as you can play as pairs no problem, they don't force you to make fours.

I suppose that is a fair bit BUT they will make money in future from my friends and other people I recommend the club too, joining fees, golf lesson, equipment purchases at the pro shop etc.

I think £140-420 per day is reasonable fee for marketing (and thats if all 7 singles slots were utilised each day):)

I do see your point though. Perhaps I will enquire as to whether they would be prepared to add an additional 'Singles fee' to the membership fee. This additional fee would give people the right to play single.

...or maybe I shud just get some practice, man-up and join fours :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think your last comment is going to be the one. golf course management don't like change.

Good luck.

You soon get used to nobbing it round with strangers, and it does make you a bit more focused. Also, quite often, the guys you get made up with aren't as good as you think they might be.

Except in my case. First game out at my track, I joined a 3 on the first tee. Total handicap between the 3 of them was 1. When they all pulled bladed 1 irons and spanked them down the middle, nearly on the green of a par 4, I realised my mistake. Too late. Waaay too late.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
jimmusuk
You should want to play with other players. 99% of golfers are willing to help a newby;afterall they were there themselves once. Don't hold them up. If you hit your ball into trouble don't go and look just declare lost and play another.If you make a ricket on a hole just pick up and start again on the next hole.
Be nice, be sociable, it will be reciprocated.
Good luck.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's much harder to improve playing as a single. Of course for some it can be difficult/uncomfortable/embarrassing playing with people of a much higher standard - but if they know upfront what you play to it's their choice.

You could always use distraction - i don't wear those JD's for nothing!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As far as I am concerned Jim, golf is a game to be played with others. If you arn't as good as the others you play with they will understand. We all started from being pretty crap and no one, as far as I know, were single figure golfers from day one.

So long as you are good company, keep up with play, keep your eye on your ball then you will be welcomed by the vast majority of golfers - they will not laugh at you or critisise you and straight away you start to make golfing friends.

Try it, you will love it

Chris

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi,

I do not have a handicap, don't play in comps (yet) and don't plan too until I am much more capable. I am also not a member of a club (yet) mainly because my fav course won't let single players go round (don't have enough golf mates to play with every time I fancy a game) so doing some research on other local courses to find the most suitable.

Anyway, with regards to an handicap, I obv. need to submit 3 score cards to my club (when I join) or one of these online handicap providers. I have noticed that once you have a handicap it can be quite slow in reducing it e.g. it decreases in 0.1's?

Am I right in thinking if I wanted a handicap of 20-25 it would be faster to wait until I am going round in average 20-25 over as opposed to starting out with a handicap of 28 and trying to work my way down to 20-25?

Thanks in advance

Get yourself up to my place. No problems in finding new mates to play with. Roll ups nearly every day. We have a lot of members from Pompey area, including last years club champion.

jimmusuk

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think your last comment is going to be the one. golf course management don't like change.

Good luck.

You soon get used to nobbing it round with strangers, and it does make you a bit more focused. Also, quite often, the guys you get made up with aren't as good as you think they might be.

Except in my case. First game out at my track, I joined a 3 on the first tee. Total handicap between the 3 of them was 1. When they all pulled bladed 1 irons and spanked them down the middle, nearly on the green of a par 4, I realised my mistake. Too late. Waaay too late.

LOL, that doesn't instill me with much confidence :). Yea you are probably right about the management, probably not my place to make suggestions like that to them anyway, people don't like being told how to run their clubs.

jimmusuk
You should want to play with other players. 99% of golfers are willing to help a newby;afterall they were there themselves once. Don't hold them up. If you hit your ball into trouble don't go and look just declare lost and play another.If you make a ricket on a hole just pick up and start again on the next hole.
Be nice, be sociable, it will be reciprocated.
Good luck.

Yea I hear ya, about wouldnt hold up play, I mean I always have a couple of 8's on the scorecard but dont it every ball in the trees.

It's much harder to improve playing as a single. Of course for some it can be difficult/uncomfortable/embarrassing playing with people of a much higher standard - but if they know upfront what you play to it's their choice.

You could always use distraction - i don't wear those JD's for nothing!

I appreciate this, easier to learn when being taught as opposed to self diagnosis.

As far as I am concerned Jim, golf is a game to be played with others. If you arn't as good as the others you play with they will understand. We all started from being pretty crap and no one, as far as I know, were single figure golfers from day one.

So long as you are good company, keep up with play, keep your eye on your ball then you will be welcomed by the vast majority of golfers - they will not laugh at you or critisise you and straight away you start to make golfing friends.
Try it, you will love it

Chris

I think I am alright company, so long as I am not hungry ;p

Get yourself up to my place. No problems in finding new mates to play with. Roll ups nearly every day. We have a lot of members from Pompey area, including last years club champion.

Sounds good, I used to go fishing a lot in a nearby town 'Liss'. Maybe once i've got an handicap I will drop you a line although I couldnt afford too many rounds at £45 :(.

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like the overwhelming advice is to suck it up and get involved. I suppose my competitive nature is trying to keep me away from group play until I am good enough to beat everyone lol