Incorrect Par.. <rant>

V

vkurup

Played at Milford GC a few days ago. Lovely course. But not sure if I agree with the par on the hole 3.
Despite how it looks on the shotsaver, the hole is a dogleg left and the green is hidden to another left at the end of the fairway. It makes it almost a 'crescent' shaped rather than 'L' shaped.
I played a near perfect drive 230-240y to the far edge of the dogleg. It opens the fairway, but to hit the green in regulation, it is a blind shot over banks and the green is guarded by bunkers.

IMHO it is a great par-5. However, was gutted to hear that it is a P4 off the yellow tees!!!. The hole is a P5 off the white and red. Any such examples around?
MilfordGC-Hole3.jpg

Last edited:
V

vkurup

What difference does the par of the hole make to the way you play it?

My view is that the Par should provide you with a realistic opportunity to hit GIR.
I played it like a P5 and got a triple - so no change in the way I play. :)

However to be fair to myself, was playing there for the first time, and which way i should be aiming.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a couple of holes that are par 5 off the reds for the ladies but par 4 off the rest ..

can be a real pain in our society match play, first drawn out has choice of course , if the women choose this then as a low society handicap you have to give them a shot , plus is a par 5 for them & par 4 for me , so an extra shot .. AAAAGH

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played at Milford GC a few days ago. Lovely course. But not sure if I agree with the par on the hole 3.
Despite how it looks on the shotsaver, the hole is a dogleg left and the green is hidden to another left at the end of the fairway. It makes it almost a 'crescent' shaped rather than 'L' shaped.
I played a near perfect drive 230-240y to the far edge of the dogleg. It opens the fairway, but to hit the green in regulation, it is a blind shot over banks and the green is guarded by bunkers.

IMHO it is a great par-5. However, was gutted to hear that it is a P4 off the yellow tees!!!. The hole is a P5 off the white and red. Any such examples around?
View attachment 2444

447 yards off yellow is hardly par 5 distance tough par 4 yes and stroke index of 2 so most get a shot and are expected to bogey.
484 yards off white is only just par 5 distance?

a 240 yard drive with a touch of draw around the corner leaves a 200 yard approach fair game for a 5 wood/hybrid?

i would have no issues with this hole myself other than my poor play!!

V

vkurup

447 yards off yellow is hardly par 5 distance tough par 4 yes and stroke index of 2 so most get a shot and are expected to bogey.
484 yards off white is only just par 5 distance?

a 240 yard drive with a touch of draw around the corner leaves a 200 yard approach fair game for a 5 wood/hybrid?

it is not the distance per se that bothered me.. more like the opportunity to get par.
In theory you could hit a draw... a 3/5 wood for another draw to get to the green. A very difficult shot to hit straight to the green due to the mounds in front and the bunkers on left and right. The 2nd draw has to be pretty accurate as the neck of the green is pretty narrow.

IMHO, the easier option is to Drive-Lay up-Pitch-Single Putt. I may be better prepared now that I have seen the course. (plus I need to learn how to hit a draw, as my natural is fade - the pro calls it a slice though)

Neil20

Club Champion
Visit site
I think it's a good thing to have 2 or so holes per course that give the big hitters a huge advantage. Having played regularly with a big hitter, I can see how frustrating it is to have few chances to take proper advantage of that element of the game where he's so good and the course is supposed to accomodate everyone.

As already stated, the fact it's SI 2 pretty much does the work for us mortals - it's the clue to make bogey and move on.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
it is not the distance per se that bothered me.. more like the opportunity to get par.
In theory you could hit a draw... a 3/5 wood for another draw to get to the green. A very difficult shot to hit straight to the green due to the mounds in front and the bunkers on left and right. The 2nd draw has to be pretty accurate as the neck of the green is pretty narrow.

IMHO, the easier option is to Drive-Lay up-Pitch-Single Putt. I may be better prepared now that I have seen the course. (plus I need to learn how to hit a draw, as my natural is fade - the pro calls it a slice though)

You do get 2 shots at that hole ?

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My view is that the Par should provide you with a realistic opportunity to hit GIR.
Not sure I agree with that. Whether a GIR is realistic varies from golfer to golfer. For example, I am a short hitter, any Par 4 of 420-450 yards i will struggle to hit in regulation. That doesn't mean it should be a par 5. There are plenty of golfers out there who could easily hit it in regulation.

I just have to play it according to my ability. LIkewise if I step onto a par 5 of nearly 600 yards I approach it as a par 6!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are a lot of holes that are different depending on what tee you play off. I played at Helsby Golf Club in Cheshire the other day and the 18th is a 220 yard par 3 for the men and a par 4 for the women.

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a couple of holes that are par 5 off the reds for the ladies but par 4 off the rest ..

can be a real pain in our society match play, first drawn out has choice of course , if the women choose this then as a low society handicap you have to give them a shot , plus is a par 5 for them & par 4 for me , so an extra shot .. AAAAGH

some would say thats totally wrong. unfair even. other would ask why your playing with F males.

Phil

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yup.. I do get 2 shots.. but i m sure even the pros will sturggle

it looks like a fairly hard hole, but its hardly anal, it seems to allow you all the space to get into position of the tee. driver or 3wood short of the first right hand bunker. 6/4iron in, if your not on it'll be collected by a bunker so long as your not way off line, and from there your playing a very shot par 2 :)

even still at SI 2 you need to be a very good golfer to not have a shot here and consequently a fairly bad one not to shoot nett par with any luck.

Phil

with two shots at it you could afford to hit 4 pw 110yds (straight) and you'd still have 2putts for nett par.

though you had a triple bogie? so you could have afforded 5 80 something yards pitches and still have 2 putts :)

and you said you hit 240 off the tee, meaning to get a triple you averaged, 34.5yards towards the hole per shot after that.

what im getting at is maybe the hole isnt the problem. maybe it was just your "problem hole" of the round, everyone has one.

Last edited:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yup.. I do get 2 shots.. but i m sure even the pros will sturggle

There's a 450 yard par 4 SI 2 that you get 2 shots on, and you think it should be a par 5?

If you think the pro's would struggle, you've obviously not played with one. They would be hitting a 300 yard drive then going in with a 9 iron/wedge.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
some would say thats totally wrong. unfair even. other would ask why your playing with F males.

Phil

Just the way the society do it mate , could be playing a woman off 28 , my society handicap is 2 at present , so its 26 shots plus the extra par holes .. if im drawn out 1st we are heading away to a harder hillier track , they go mad ha

D

Deleted Member 1156

I can't see what the problem is to be honest. If you play off 1 or better then you have to make a par (which off that sort of handicap is very achievable) and if you play off 2 or higher you get a shot. Make a 5, nett par. Move on.

vkurup, you can take 4 shots to get on the green then a 2 putt gives you a nett par. Chances are, if it was a par 5 then it would have a much higher stroke index and you would only get 1 shot anyway.