Incorrect Par.. <rant>

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played at Milford GC a few days ago. Lovely course. But not sure if I agree with the par on the hole 3.
Despite how it looks on the shotsaver, the hole is a dogleg left and the green is hidden to another left at the end of the fairway. It makes it almost a 'crescent' shaped rather than 'L' shaped.
I played a near perfect drive 230-240y to the far edge of the dogleg. It opens the fairway, but to hit the green in regulation, it is a blind shot over banks and the green is guarded by bunkers.

IMHO it is a great par-5. However, was gutted to hear that it is a P4 off the yellow tees!!!. The hole is a P5 off the white and red. Any such examples around?
View attachment 2444

Having just looked at the scorecard of the golf course I disagree even more strongly than i did earlier. It's a short golf course, 5500 off the yellows. The front 9 alone contains three par 4's under 300 yards.

Yes, the 3rd looks tough, but the golf course gives you plenty of chances to make shots back up if you lose some on that hole. Including the very next one.

I like a golf course that gives and takes and it looks like this one does.

The game would be pretty boring if every par 4 was 350-400 and every par 5 was 500 plus

D

Deleted Member 1156

Range for par 5s is 440 to 720 yards
Range for par 4s is 220 to 500 yards

Where did you get those figures from? The current USGA figures are 471+ yards for a par 5, it is generally accepted in this country that par 5's start at 475 yards.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The current CONGU booklet.

I'm surprised at that, with modern technology the lengths should be increasing not getting shorter. Can't think of any par 5 that I've played that is less than 470 yards.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
though the 17th is a bit of a joke - having to tee with a gap/sand wedge

I hear this a lot on this forum...

Whats wrong with a 3/4 9 iron instead?????

There is a local par 3 18 hole course that I play. I use it as a place to work on hitting 3/4 short irons off tees to find greens. Also works when playing into the wind as "full" wedges tend to stall and get blown about!

You can save a lot of shots swapping some full wedge shots for some half or 3/4 9 and 8 irons even when its not windy!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised at that, with modern technology the lengths should be increasing not getting shorter. Can't think of any par 5 that I've played that is less than 470 yards.

I know and have known quite a number - terrain and other difficulty factors come into the equation - remember you live in the soft South.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It certainly is annoying when it could be a par 5 with just a few more yards added.

I may be way out here, but could it be shorter going the most direct route?

These things can be frustrating, but a 5 would be a good score, especially if it's SI.2.

I'd like to play it. I remember when the course was "going up" and I played from time to time at West Surrey. Got to say, it looks good on the website.

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
I've learnt that on holes like this 5 is a good score as going for it more often than not creates a disaster hole. You're 24 handicap and playing this as a Par 5 is the smart play. I'm 17 and that's what I'd do. HDID course analysis after a comp always shows up the reality of scores on holes, and makes me feel a lot better about taking the smart play. Some holes have much more double bogey or worse than Birdie, Par and Bogey put together! What does that tell you??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really don't seen the issue here. You get shots (mutliple) and you still want to hit the green on a long par 4 in regulation. Get real. You are off the handicap you are for a reason. Play it as a drive, lay up and chip on. Make five and its a net birdie anyway. Can't see the issue and mountain out of molehill springs to mind

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a couple of holes that are par 5 off the reds for the ladies but par 4 off the rest ..

can be a real pain in our society match play, first drawn out has choice of course , if the women choose this then as a low society handicap you have to give them a shot , plus is a par 5 for them & par 4 for me , so an extra shot .. AAAAGH

I feel your pain! Our longest hole, 441y par 4 SI 1, the ladies not only get a shot on but they ALSO get 100y bonus to boot. It's virtually impossible to beat them on it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What difference does the par make.?
I hear this a lot and it's always baffled me.
Tam..."Oh, this is a tough par 4"
Jimmy..."No it's no, it's a par 5"
Tam..."Oh good, a chance for a birdie"
(Names altered to protect the innocent)

You start at one end and finish at the other and the par of the hole should have no bearing whatsoever on how you play the hole.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is a three shot hole even off the yellows. You would have to totally murder one to leave yourself a short enough yardage to hold that green. Whenever I play it, off the whites in a county open, or yellows for fun, I always play it 5-wood, 7-iron and wedge.

But Bobmac is absolutely right. Why should par make any difference to the way you play a hole? It is about getting the lowest score possible irrespective of the par on the card.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The only time "Par" really comes into play is in Stableford - obviously nett birdie gives you more points than nett par - but as it's a 3 shotter (par5 in effect) for most people - and you get shot(s) - it evens itself out anyway........

Take 21 on the par 4 first hole and birdie the rest - you've still shot level.........

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The only time "Par" really comes into play is in Stableford - obviously nett birdie gives you more points than nett par - but as it's a 3 shotter (par5 in effect) for most people - and you get shot(s) - it evens itself out anyway........

Take 21 on the par 4 first hole and birdie the rest - you've still shot level.........
Yeh but I fancy taking 21 blows on the first hole would hold your playing partners up and the rest of the field, so would not advise anyone reading this to try it........