Incomplete round wrt WHS

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Look at it from a different perspective: he completed 11 holes and performed well. His handicap should reflect those 11 holes of good play.
No argument on that.
But by giving nett par -1 for the next 8 holes you're potentially diluting the score. Or strengthening it.
As I said, I don't have a viable alternative but I'm not a fan of using, effectively, made up numbers to produce a score for handicapping.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No argument on that.
But by giving nett par -1 for the next 8 holes you're potentially diluting the score. Or strengthening it.
As I said, I don't have a viable alternative but I'm not a fan of using, effectively, made up numbers to produce a score for handicapping.

Net par will neither dilute nor strengthen the scaled up score. If you play a full 18 holes of net pars, you have played to your handicap and your score will have no significant effect on your handicap index. Holes not played but which are counted as net pars will have no effect on your handicap index. I don't know what you mean by potentially dilute or strengthen a score.

YandaB

Visit site
Net par will neither dilute nor strengthen the scaled up score. If you play a full 18 holes of net pars, you have played to your handicap and your score will have no significant effect on your handicap index. Holes not played but which are counted as net pars will have no effect on your handicap index. I don't know what you mean by potentially dilute or strengthen a score.
I did the maths earlier to show how this happens. Handicapping is supposed to be based on Course Rating and not Par, using this method they are using involves Par. There are many courses where Par does not equal Course Rating and the further apart these numbers are, the more "dilute" the score.

wjemather

Visit site
I did the maths earlier to show how this happens. Handicapping is supposed to be based on Course Rating and not Par, using this method they are using involves Par. There are many courses where Par does not equal Course Rating and the further apart these numbers are, the more "dilute" the score.
Hole pars are almost always equal to the rounded hole ratings, so the difference/anomaly you describe does not really exist when holes are considered individually (without introducing fractions of strokes). Of course, it only truly wouldn't exist if CONGU had included CR-par in the Course Handicap calculation, all courses had their Stroke Indexes allocated per WHS recommendations, etc.

Since the cumulative difference between hole ratings and par for a small number (max. 8) of holes is small, and given how few holes in any given handicap record would be scaled up, the effect of this difference on the resultant index is insignificant.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is worth remembering that players who only play 9 holes (on a 9 hole course or the measured 9 holes on an 18 hole course) have the score adjusted in much the same way to produce an eighteen hole score for handicap purposes.