In to Out/Out to In (Mini lightbulb moment)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For years I have struggled with my driving, when it works it's a beast however when it doesn't it wrecks a round off the tee however I don't know which will turn up until the first shot!! My irons work pretty well with a gentle fade and hybrids and 3 wood both being pretty reliable however it's always nice to be able to get out the big dog and give it the office.

With lessons I have always been taught that the club path has to be in to out with the driver to get the draw flight and not start losing the ball all over the countryside. I seem to have struggled with this as my natural inclination is a slight out to in path. The more I tried to reverse that the more I struggled with snap hooks or great big power fades (slices).

Anyway, I decided to get a fresh pair of eyes to look at me and my driver to see if there was anything we could do to work within my natural path. Surprisingly he was immediately keen that we go completely the opposite way. We got on trackman and my driver path was 2 degrees out to in. He wanted exaggerate the feeling of out to in and try and get it up to 6/7 degrees. This sounded odd as it went against everything I've ever been told about hitting a driver however in for a pound and all that.

Anyway, by the end of the session I was hitting 7/8 degrees out to in and hitting really nice fades. By bad shot was one where I didn't commit and turn the shoulders which resulted in a high, loopy shot wide right however as long as I hit with confidence the ball was starting 10yrds off centre and moving about 15yrds left to right in the air.

To be honest I've had a number of times that I think I've 'cracked' driving only to find that it's just a honeymoon period however I've now played 4 rounds and it's really working doe me. Now massive blow ups on the tee that are driver related and consistently hitting fairways or just off (rather than deep woodland).

Just hoping this isn't a more prolonged honeymoon period than the others I've experienced!!

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I find the best thing for me when things start to become a bit wayward is to concentrate on keeping my right elbow tucked in tight to my ribs and eventually I iron out the out-in part of my swing...

Use this method at least once throughout the season...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It always amazes me the number of people with an out to in swing trying to change it to hit a draw, especially considering how many great pros play a fade.

If you have a repeatable swing, stick to it whether it's a fade or a draw. Knowing where the ball is going (or more importantly where it isn't going) is key for good scores for us amateurs.

Kuch just came second in the open aiming right with an out to in swing and still hitting a fade, and I know a very good player on here does the same albeit without the fade that kuch has.

Glad you got it sorted, and long may it continue :thup: