In-Between clubs

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
depends on where the danger is!

if there is a stream out the back I will take the higer club and step on it! danger in front and ill probably take the longer club to be sure!

no danger, no wind, who can say, depends on all sorts from green softness to the trajectory you would like it coming in.

This!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Go with whichever club puts you closer to the middle of the green, ie. flag at front go with bigger club, flag at back go with shorter club, then swing normally.

If the flag's in the middle then as the others said - use the club that avoids most danger. The exception to that is that if the green slopes back to front a bit then you don't want to be hitting hard at a short iron that you're not sure will reach. Chances are you'll come up short and spin back towards you.

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on a few things like positioning of hazards, pin position, uphill, downhill etc but I will generally take the longer club - if i flush it i'll be back edge/just off, anything less should leave me on the green with a reasonable chance at birdie.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
ALWAYS hit the number!

I've never yet seen a green where hitting the club long or short of the middle would miss the green. Usually you would need to go two clubs long or two clubs short for it to miss the green.

For example:
Number to flag 151 Middle of green
I hit 9 iron 145
I hit 8 iron 154
Obviously I will hit 8 iron unless the green is severely back to front slope wise. If however pin is at rear of green I would hit the 9 iron. However if you have practised extensively shots where you "take a little off it" or "give it a bit more" and you have the number, then go for it.

Hope that makes sense.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Ill be in the minority but I take the lesser club and hit it a little harder. Im far happier that way, if I try and take a little off invariably I dont make a full turn and get even more handsy than usual with it. Not so bad with wedges but becomes more of an issue the longer the club gets so very rare you'll see me hit a soft middle iron or longer
Same here. Also if you come up just short at my course you are not in trouble. Long you are dead on a lot of holes.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Imagine the scenario.

You're out on the course and find yourself slap bang in-between clubs. Calm conditions, clear day, no wind.

Could be a 3 and 4 iron. May be a 6 and 7 iron. Possibly and 8 and 9 iron.

How do you play the shot?

Is it better to 'club-up' and make a smooth swing, or to 'club-down' and hit it harder? is it better to do one over the other?

With wedges into greens I can understand it being a little different when it comes to controlling spin, or is it?

What do you think/do?

For me its all about how comfy you feel changing the pace of the swing, Swinging a club really hard or swinging one slower.
The quality of the strike of the ball most important, Which ever way you feel you can hit the middle of club with id go with that.

For me i always feel more comfy hitting a club harder

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you try and hit it 5 yards further, most people will hit it 10 yards less.
Club up, don't think slower, think smoother and shorten the swing a touch.
And if you cant do that, practice it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Club up, down an inch on the grip. Read somewhere that for the average golfer, an inch is 5yds - probably why I'm lousy at parking:D

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I will never be between 3, 4, and 5 iron! As I don't carry them,!!

Same theory for my hybrids and fairways! I usually go for the bigger club and easier swing and hope for the best!