Improving putting

Chef1924

Visit site
What are all of your stories for when it comes to improving at putting or finding a new level with the putter?

For example:

Regular lessons with a pro?
Purchasing training equipment?
Putting training drills?

How many of you have regular lessons working on putting?

Who has never had a putting lesson?

Or do you just accept good and bad days? (currently the case with me at 18 handicap but determined to work on it more this summer).

What have you found the best ways to improve?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I had a putting lesson. We worked a bit on my grip, a bit on green reading, a bit on alignment and a lot on pace.

Having done more reading on putting, I’m convinced pace is the most important factor.

Look at professional putting stats and realign your expectations. Realistically holing anything from 10ft plus involves as much luck as it does skill so don’t worry about it.

I’ve now started to concentrate on holing out from 8ft, then pace to make sure I don’t 3 putt from 20ft and 40ft. I measure out these distances every time I practice. I don’t try an hole anything over 10ft on the course, I simply try to get my pace right to give it the best chance possible.

All this has been done over winter on less than ideal greens and my putting has improved. So hopefully that carries on into the season.

D

Deleted member 18121

One word.... Aimpoint.

Absolutely loved the theory, the practice and the results.

benjo09

Visit site
I had a putting lesson. We worked a bit on my grip, a bit on green reading, a bit on alignment and a lot on pace.

Having done more reading on putting, I’m convinced pace is the most important factor.

Look at professional putting stats and realign your expectations. Realistically holing anything from 10ft plus involves as much luck as it does skill so don’t worry about it.

I’ve now started to concentrate on holing out from 8ft, then pace to make sure I don’t 3 putt from 20ft and 40ft. I measure out these distances every time I practice. I don’t try an hole anything over 10ft on the course, I simply try to get my pace right to give it the best chance possible.

All this has been done over winter on less than ideal greens and my putting has improved. So hopefully that carries on into the season.

This x1000. I signed up for Decade when it was on sale for Black Friday and this is explained as the most important thing to get right with putting. Don't try to hole putts, just make sure you get the pace right in order to avoid 3 putts.

The drill I use is to find a flat bit of putting green and put a coin down to act as a hole, then additional coins at 6", 1' and 2' past the hole. Then measure out 5', 10', 15', 20', 25', 30' and put tees at these marks. Start at 5' and try to putt the ball between the hole and the 6" marker. If successful, move back 6", if not try again. The goal is to be within 6" past from 5-10', 1' past from 10'-20' and 2' from 20'-30'.

Since I've been doing the drill my 3 putts have dropped quite considerably although I do get odd looks when I get the tape measure out on the practice green!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After shortening the ball distance, banning aimpoint would be my second most required change to the rules of golf.

I think the less one thinks about putting, the better. A bit of practice, a few putts before a round to get some feel for the pace is very valuable I think. You can spend hours and hours practicing, and then step onto a course or conditions where the speed has no relation to the hours of practice. Then people go off messing with grips, looking for a new putting, and are down a rabbit hole with no way out.
Whatever putter you have - stick with it. Read no books or articles. Dont mess with how you grip the club. Dont go for a lesson - you will start to overthink the simple, and add complexity to where there is none. And
Basically, dont focus on it as little as you can, and do a little bit of practice. And definitely dont aimpoint.

D

Deleted member 18121

Its on my list of things I would like to learn this year. Where did you learn it and was it worth the price (I'm guessing it is worth it!)

I did it at Bearsted golf club (Maidstone , Kent)... I paid for a 90 minute 1-1 session and ended up doing over 2 and quarter hours with the guy.

It was an absolute revelation for me, but I understand it may not work for everyone depending on how you feel the ground.

Walking up and reading a putt and giving a physical point to aim at gives my putting real purpose, rather than eye balling a putt and "guessing" it's going to move X distance.

For me, I can't speak highly enough of the technique and the theory. But I've read people rubbish it as it didn't work for them.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I did it at Bearsted golf club (Maidstone , Kent)... I paid for a 90 minute 1-1 session and ended up doing over 2 and quarter hours with the guy.

It was an absolute revelation for me, but I understand it may not work for everyone depending on how you feel the ground.

Walking up and reading a putt and giving a physical point to aim at gives my putting real purpose, rather than eye balling a putt and "guessing" it's going to move X distance.

For me, I can't speak highly enough of the technique and the theory. But I've read people rubbish it as it didn't work for them.

That will be the same people who rubbish just about everything that doesn’t involve playing golf like it was in the 70s and are best ignored.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've had a lesson or two in my time, when I've been struggling. I'm usually good at reading the lines but struggle with pace. Found a lesson helped.
Bigger help was the putter fitting I had at The London Putting Academy at Royal Blackheath GC. Brilliant session with Matt, who really knows his stuff. Pretty sure he does lessons too, and thought he'd be great. Haven't needed him for that as yet though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For years my putting was hit and miss, sometimes decent, sometimes awful. Had one half hour putting lesson before Christmas and be pointed out 3 or 4 little tweaks that have improved my putting no end. It's saved me between 2 and 4 shots per round I'd say. I'm just praying it still holds up once we get to summer though and the greens are twice as fast.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

This x1000

One of the biggest reasons I got a blade putter over a mallet putter (despite the mallet being marginally better for my stroke on the SAM lab) was because I was able to judge distance so much better with it.

I've accepted I'm unlikely to hole much from outside 8ft so ensuring it remains a 2 putt is critical, and that means the weight needs to be right.

Seems to be paying real dividends now the greens have been cut and rolled following winter.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Never had a putting lesson.
Never had any individual lesson for golf.

My drill before a round, if I have time.
Place two balls about 4ft from the hole and putt them in, repeat until you have holed 8 in a row. If you miss one, start the count to 8 again.
After you have holed 8 putts in a row from 4ft, repeat the drill from about 7 or 8ft from the hole.
You will have practiced holing putts.
Look around any practice green and you will see players practicing missing putts. That is, they putt from a distance where they don't feel bad about missing.
You might even see one or two leaving the practice green without having holed a putt.
Some practice of longer putts to get a feel of pace is OK, but you must practice holing putts.
Getting the ball into the hole is an important thing to learn and practice.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never had a putting lesson.
Never had any individual lesson for golf.

My drill before a round, if I have time.
Place two balls about 4ft from the hole and putt them in, repeat until you have holed 8 in a row. If you miss one, start the count to 8 again.
After you have holed 8 putts in a row from 4ft, repeat the drill from about 7 or 8ft from the hole.
You will have practiced holing putts.
Look around any practice green and you will see players practicing missing putts. That is, they putt from a distance where they don't feel bad about missing.
You might even see one or two leaving the practice green without having holed a putt.
Some practice of longer putts to get a feel of pace is OK, but you must practice holing putts.
Getting the ball into the hole is an important thing to learn and practice.

a lot of people will miss their tee time if they have to hole 8 in a row ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another fan of aimpoint. Did the course with Jamie Donaldson who is their European Senior instructor and works with the tour pros. Was £90 for two hours but we easily got about 2.5 hours. Did a refresher with him as well when I switched from the original course using the charts to aimpoint express. Didn't have to pay for that one as the original course allowed you a refresher (not sure if that was a deal at the time). People always ask about dropping handicap as though its some magic method. What it does do is give you the ability to read greens (at any course better) and have a better understanding of the effect of speed and break on a putt. It DOES give you the confidence to know you made a good read.

I also use the visio putting template and start gates. Its great for getting my stroke (slight arc) working with a visual guide. The start gates are great for training you to start the ball on line. The smallest gates only allow 0.5 degrees of error or the ball won't got through them (middle gate is 0.75 degrees and largest allows 1 degree). I am definitely a more confident putter and more of my putts now have a chance to drop

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting has always been a strength of mind, which is useful as off the tee I’m a car crash. For me, people hugely over complicate putting and become too mechanical striving for a perfect technique. Stay loose, light grip, fidget around if you need to so you’re not stood over it all tensed up. Pick your line (use a spot on the ground just ahead of you) and putt over that. Do not worry about what your stroke looks like, it really doesn’t matter, just make sure you start the ball on your intended line.

Keep it simple stupid.