Importing Golf Gear Australia to UK

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Trying to get my head around it but struggling. I've done a calculator which seems to suggest around £20 of import tax and VAT assuming $20 for shipping and insurance costs which may be high.

The item costs $99 AUD which is around £54. There is no shipping costs associated with the item however obviously they will be paying shipping and insurance their end which I'm unaware of so guessed at $20 can't see it being more or it wouldn't be worth it for them.

Anyone know how much it may sting me this end, just incase i got it completely wrong?

Its for this which is miles cheaper than anywhere else i can find, just want to be sure I'm not going to end up paying more than what I could buy it off another seller for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Game...h=item3d5d6d5138:g:0zcAAOSwGBdasO~m:rk:3:pf:1

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You pay import duty (nominal on most things, say 3%) and vat. The latter is payable on the total cost including shipping.

That parts easy to calculate/estimate.

The difficult one can be 'handling charges' which relate to the charges made (if any) by the shipping company for collecting the above duties. Some can be relatively high on low value products (that are above the duty free limits but still low). Increasingly people are using prepaid all in services which minimise these handling fees - but of course guarantee you are paying the correct duties (which some people hope to avoid....)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My lad is back in Oz, he brought back an iPad last year. The latest model. He saved a fortune. He is bringing one back for me end of the year..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some carriers may charge a handling fee for processing or dealing with customs regarding the duty and vat payments, you are using their account for that to be fair. May be £10 or so but the little amounts can add up if you are not careful. If you can find out which carrier it will be then you can ask them to clarify any costs before committing.

Looks a great deal if you can sort the freight aspect out okay.

Visit site
My lad is back in Oz, he brought back an iPad last year. The latest model. He saved a fortune. He is bringing one back for me end of the year..
Yep, the equivalent of what is known as VAT on goods in NSW is 10%, as opposed to 20% in the UK. Once you start spending in the region of a grand on goods their are significant savings to be had. Had lots of family over lately and they have loaded up on iPhones and IPads on their visits before returning to Blighty...

Tashyboy

Visit site
Yep, the equivalent of what is known as VAT on goods in NSW is 10%, as opposed to 20% in the UK. Once you start spending in the region of a grand on goods their are significant savings to be had. Had lots of family over lately and they have loaded up on iPhones and IPads on their visits before returning to Blighty...

That's comforting, I didn't know if he had robbed it. 😂😂 He is in Brisbane at the moment and loving it

Visit site
That's comforting, I didn't know if he had robbed it. 😂😂 He is in Brisbane at the moment and loving it
Aus is a great place. Fantastic lifestyle for young ones. As for the golf, what’s not to love about being able to play in shorts for at least 11 1/2 months of the year. Been here 18 months and loving every minute of it...

Tashyboy

Visit site
Had an interview for a job yesterday. Bloke said “ work gets in the way of your life”. Son said he laughed and said thats how the aussies view work. Said the lifestyle is so much more laid back.

Visit site
It certainly is. The weather though does lend itself to living the outdoor lifestyle.
An interesting aside, I had 9 holes after work yesterday and my wife walked with me, as she has done in the UK previously. She was amazed that clothing regulations are not so restrictive and her chin hit the floor when 2 lads came past drinking tinnies and playing music (not overly loud) on their golf cart. It and they offended no one and I have seen a realboys ( and group of ladies) get together atmosphere on the golf course on Friday afternoon. I’ve also seen more women and minorities in 18 months playing than I did in say a 10 year span in the uk. They still have serious golf competition and the standard is very high.
I think what I’m trying to get at is that the Ozzie golf scene is about 20 years more ahead of its time than the UK. Don’t get me wrong, I still wear collared shirts and nice golf gear, but live and let live. In 18 months I have encountered all sorts on the golf courses here and not once been told or seen people to be told ‘tuck your shirt in’, Golf is a pleasurable pastime and meant to be fun. One up to Aussies over us Poms in my book.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where in Sydney are you mate and where do you play?

My son is out there and we've been out a couple of times and hoping to be back there in September this year if all goes according to plan!

I've played a few times out there at such places as NSW, Lakeside, Wollongong, Shell Cove and a couple of others and yeah the attitude of clubs is definitely a bit more relaxed than back here!

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
It certainly is. The weather though does lend itself to living the outdoor lifestyle.
An interesting aside, I had 9 holes after work yesterday and my wife walked with me, as she has done in the UK previously. She was amazed that clothing regulations are not so restrictive and her chin hit the floor when 2 lads came past drinking tinnies and playing music (not overly loud) on their golf cart. It and they offended no one and I have seen a realboys ( and group of ladies) get together atmosphere on the golf course on Friday afternoon. I’ve also seen more women and minorities in 18 months playing than I did in say a 10 year span in the uk. They still have serious golf competition and the standard is very high.
I think what I’m trying to get at is that the Ozzie golf scene is about 20 years more ahead of its time than the UK. Don’t get me wrong, I still wear collared shirts and nice golf gear, but live and let live. In 18 months I have encountered all sorts on the golf courses here and not once been told or seen people to be told ‘tuck your shirt in’, Golf is a pleasurable pastime and meant to be fun. One up to Aussies over us Poms in my book.

I must admit I saw only earlier today something Aussie related that tickled me.

It was a photo of an australian golf club competition. Some guy won the tournament and it said ‘name anonymous, supposed to be at work’. Think that’s about as Australian as it gets!

Thanks all for the advice RE: imports I’ve ordered it, I’ll update on what associated costs I experienced when it arrives. Along as additional costs don't exceed £40 it works out an okay deal.

Visit site
Where in Sydney are you mate and where do you play?

My son is out there and we've been out a couple of times and hoping to be back there in September this year if all goes according to plan!

I've played a few times out there at such places as NSW, Lakeside, Wollongong, Shell Cove and a couple of others and yeah the attitude of clubs is definitely a bit more relaxed than back here!
Hi Smange, sorry for late reply. It been Australia Day long weekend out here. I live down in the Shoalhaven, couple hours south of Sydney. I’ve played a few of those courses. My local courses are Shoalhaven Heads, ( good track) Worrigee Links(fairly open track) and best of all Mollymook Hilltop (in Australian Top 100) courses. A good test and has a corner that’s likened to Augusta when it’s in full bloom. If you score well there then you have played very well. I think it’s a must play if your ever down this way. I also enjoyed Camden lakes and Liverpool GC on the Sydney suburbs. Going to play a whole load more in the coming months.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Smange, sorry for late reply. It been Australia Day long weekend out here. I live down in the Shoalhaven, couple hours south of Sydney. I’ve played a few of those courses. My local courses are Shoalhaven Heads, ( good track) Worrigee Links(fairly open track) and best of all Mollymook Hilltop (in Australian Top 100) courses. A good test and has a corner that’s likened to Augusta when it’s in full bloom. If you score well there then you have played very well. I think it’s a must play if your ever down this way. I also enjoyed Camden lakes and Liverpool GC on the Sydney suburbs. Going to play a whole load more in the coming months.

Hoping to be back over there in September and will get a few games in, shame you are so far away as Mollymook looks very nice but google maps reckons 2.5 hours from where my son is.

We were down that way a couple of years ago for a couple of days at Huskisson and Hyams Beach and it's a beautiful part of the world.

Maybe in years to come might get another trip down that way and get a chance to play the courses you mention.