Uk Golf tournament 2019-birthday present help

PineRings82

Visit site
Hi all,

I am opted to join this forum as I have a question that I do not have any information on and need some guidance and advice.

My father is turning 70 this May 2019. He has been a avid golfer for over 20 years. I was thinking along with my siblings it would be great to get him a ticket to watch a golf tournament here in the UK. What I wanted to ask is, which UK golf tournament would be the best to go to, and with reasonable ticket costs £100-200 is ok. He will be fine to just go for the one day, we will pay for accom for him and my mum.

My fathers all gold hero is Tiger Woods, which uk tournament will he get best chance to see him? would it be the British open? or something else? would tickets still be available ? anyone selling ?

I don't live with my parents anymore and my father is getting on, hes a humble man never really asked for anything . I want him to experience something special.

Much appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks Golfers

D

Deleted member 1147

The Open at Portrush is the only event Tiger is likely to play in the UK this year. But you will find it very hard to get him tickets - unless you pay over the odds for a package.

Other events to be held in the Uk this year will be:

British Masters in May, at Hillside GC, Southport
BMW PGA CHampionship in September, at Wentworth, Surrey
Alfred Dunhill Links, in September, at St Andrews, Carnoustie & Kingsbarns, Scotland
Solheim Cup, Ladies event, in September at Gleneagles, Scotland
Womens British Open, in August at Woburn, Bucks
British Seniors OPen, in August at Woburn

Hope that helps

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
More tickets for The Open to be released on the 15th. Join The One Club to get information on how to get the newly released tickets.

Your main issue will be getting accommodation for the event. Try The Brown Trout Inn which is near Coleraine as they did have some spare rooms and its a great wee spot.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst Tiger will not be there the British Seniors Open could be a great shout. Woburn looks a stunning course, he will recognise a lot of the players there, Monty, Woosnam, Jimenez etc are all likely to be there for example, and the crowds will not be too great so he will be able to see the action quite easily.

The downside of Portrush, The Open, is likely to be the number of people there.

For bigger names than the Seniors the British Masters, mainly Europeans, would be good and the BMW PGA as the flagship European event gets a lot of top players, although not many big Americans still.

Great idea for your dad by the way, I'm sure he will love it.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Questions that may help:

Where abouts is your Dad based to save travelling too far if practical?
When did he get into golf? I know you say Tiger is a favourite but did he watch for years so may enjoy the Seniors (i.e. players he would have grown up watching) where the crowds are less so you see more.
Did the present have to be for this year? As mention The Open is in Northern Ireland this year and attendances are set to be huge. If you wait till next year you should be able to get Open tickets and it's a Royal St George's (South East - Dover way so handy if London based i'd guess). I know some people wouldn't want to wait though as that would be July 2020.
Also does he watch Ladies golf? Nice events, good quality but much lower attendances to the men's. Fun day if you watch them as I've been to a few Women's Opens but will probably miss the mark as a present if he doesn't follow it.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst Tiger will not be there the British Seniors Open could be a great shout. Woburn looks a stunning course, he will recognise a lot of the players there, Monty, Woosnam, Jimenez etc are all likely to be there for example, and the crowds will not be too great so he will be able to see the action quite easily.

The downside of Portrush, The Open, is likely to be the number of people there.

For bigger names than the Seniors the British Masters, mainly Europeans, would be good and the BMW PGA as the flagship European event gets a lot of top players, although not many big Americans still.

Great idea for your dad by the way, I'm sure he will love it.

That's a great shout.

on the absolute opposite side of the coin, the English Amateur is a really good day out, very small crowds can get up and close to the players and get to see the big names of the future at the very start of their career.

I can still remember vividly Casey v Dyson in the final years ago, it was brilliant golf and Casey has been a top golfer for ages

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if he would settle for just seeing Tiger, i would suggest finding the nearest bar with the sluttiest looking blonde waitresses and hang around there;)

he's bound to show up at some point:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you have a budget up to £200 then why not treat him to a round somewhere special instead? Personally I would much rather play a top venue than walk round one. Your budget would get him onto quite a few courses on the Open rota.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm in my 70s and I would prefer to play somewhere special rather than just spectate as Drive4show said.
If he's playing in Scotland and looking for company. I'm free (y)

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Open is usually a pretty good thing to go and watch but the clamour for tickets for Portrush has been something else and I suspect it won't be a great spectator event due to the crowds.
You could try a short break up in East Lothian watching the Scottish open and possibly having a round of golf on one of the great links courses there as well.
An alternative would be the British Seniors Open where a lot of the great golfers of the past which he will recognise will be playing which is being held at Royal Lytham this year.

D

Deleted member 1147

Good shout, I forgot about the Scottish Open for some reason.

Is there the Paul Laurie matchplay in Scotland this year?