Impala Mark 3 from PETRON

Steelblue

Visit site
Hello,
I am not a golf player.
I am trying to sell a whole set of golf clubs as mentioned in the subject:
Impala Mark 3 (PETRON)
Someone is interested to buy them but asked if they were aimed at beginners or intermediate level players
Does anyone know the answer?

Thank you!
Arnaud

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Personally I've never heard of them.

A quick search on Google and they look like bladed irons which really should be in the hands of a more advanced player!

Hope this helps...

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I wouldn't say that they were particularly aimed at beginners as they're more of a blade profile than a cavity back, however, the "radius sole" design would make them a higher launching club and easier to hit from a tight lie.

I think that they'd make a good set for a beginner or intermediate who wanted to learn how to hit the ball properly rather than an occasional player who wanted to gain maximum help from the latest clubhead technology.

I see you've no golf experience so to summarise some of the above:
  • Blade - The simplest clubhead design for an iron and generally considered the hardest to hit.
  • Cavity back - A design development which places more weighting around the edge of the clubhead and so makes off centre hits travel further than the same off centre hit with a blade.
  • Radius sole - Additional metal/weight at the sole which will lower the centre of gravity of the club which will make the ball start at a higher angle, helpful for a beginner.
  • Tight lie - When the ball is sitting on short grass and therefore close to the ground.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Petron were (are???) a cheap brand, a bit like Howson.
They're worth not a lot.

From what I remember many moons ago (90s and earlier), they were a very early example of 'personally fitted' clubs. Not a 'cheap' brand, but not as expensive as Ping, Callaway etc. However, the company hasn't lasted and 'the brand' is now simply part of another distributor (Discount Golf Store I think). In the mid-late 90s, I actually played quite often (work colleague) with someone who had a set.

As for the OP's question, those clubs are likely to be quite hard for a beginner to hit well! But a cheap way for someone to actually start playing - and the discipline of getting the ball-striking right will quite possibly pay dividends in the long term! It will also demonstrate whether the user has the determination to playing golf that the game rewards!

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
These days Petron make archery and crossbow equipment, Far East based, it's always reasonable quality lower mid range priced stuff,

I doubt they have made a golf club in 15 years

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
These days Petron make archery and crossbow equipment, Far East based, it's always reasonable quality lower mid range priced stuff,

I doubt they have made a golf club in 15 years

Phil

I remember these from the 80's, not really collectable more likely to be found in a charity shop, however in answer to the OP, if you can learn to strike the ball with these more modern clubs will feel easy(ier).

Steelblue

Visit site
All these useful info allowed me to sell the clubs today so thank you very much to all of you!
This makes a bit more space available in the garage!
Arnaud