I'm I hitting too short?

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Just wondering how far others manage to hit their irons as I feel I should be hitting mine further.

My 4 iron will give me about 170 total, 7 about 140 total and my pitching wedge barley gets me over the 100 mark, usually about 95.

I have been playing for about 18 months and am a 18 HC.
I am 34 and fairly fit and healthy and feel like I can swing at a decent speed (although not been measured).
Are these distances something I should be concerned about? Cheers.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Just wondering how far others manage to hit their irons as I feel I should be hitting mine further.

My 4 iron will give me about 170 total, 7 about 140 total and my pitching wedge barley gets me over the 100 mark, usually about 95.

I am 34 and fairly fit and healthy and feel like I can swing at a decent speed (although not been measured).

Surely the most important thing is hitting those distances consistently and in a straight line!
My 7 iron goes further then your 4 iron but I have been known to visit the tree ls every so often

brfcfan

Visit site

I would go to a range and get a pro to monitor your swing speed and ball spin. The spin on a ball kills distance, so you maybe hitting the ball too high. If you fancy a cheat just invest in a set of Callaways they tend to have stronger lofts so you will hit a Callaway 7 about 150.

D

Deleted member 16999

I wouldn’t get 2 hung up on what others hit or what you think you should hit, most important is you knowing your numbers and picking the correct club to achieve your distance. I’m mid fifties and your numbers match mine and i’ve come down 5 shots in the last 12 months from 14 to 9.
The old cliche of seeing a Pro may be useful as it may be down to mechanics if it’s really bothering you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Distance isn't everything! But it can certainly help!

The iron distances seem pretty good - if perhaps a tad shorter than desirable. But the PW does seem lower than 'expected'.
Have you calibrated/'gapped' other club distances. You may well have a significant gap that could be worth resolving. Also worth getting your lofts/lie angles checked to make sure they are not contributing to the 'problem'.

Oh, and do you swing the PW the same as your 7 and 4? If not (it's often stated that wedges should be generally be swung with 'finesse' as opposed to 'full') then that would also contribute.

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Surely the most important thing is hitting those distances consistently and in a straight line!

couldn't agree more! Happy with my lines and consistency, just curious if this is something I need to work on.

4i and 7i look bang average (which I mean as a compliment). Pw I would expect to be near 110 given the other two.
Thanks-that's almost what I'm thinking-my 8 goes 130 then it drops to 9i-110 then pw 95. Glad to hear the rest sound about right!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this now or in summer .
The ball goes less distance in the cold and wet.
But not many 18 cappers would hit farther than that at the moment.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
These might be a useful reference.
It is often said that the lady pros are a better reference point to the majority of the male amateur golfers (obviously excluding those with forum distances at their disposal :))
The PGA tour ones are also on-line, but probably a little more depressing for most of us ;)

Note they list carry, not total.

LPGA.PNG

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Are you eating enough Spinach?
What clubs are you hitting as I know when I changed to my current clubs there was a full club difference in the loft between the 7 irons on my old clubs and those on my new ones. And my previous clubs weren't that old either.
There's nothing wrong with your distances but new clubs are much stronger lofted than the previous models.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is often said that the lady pros are a better reference point to the majority of the male amateur golfers (obviously excluding those with forum distances at their disposal :))
The PGA tour ones are also on-line, but probably a little more depressing for most of us ;)

View attachment 26583
That’s a very interesting bit of info and probably a whole new thread in itself.
Thanks for posting.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 26583
What’s worrying is that most of these figures (club speed, AoA, ball speed, carry) are almost exactly the same as mine. I am off 16 and these women would beat me 100% of the time by a large number of shots. So what is going wrong? Is it purely accuracy, short game and course management?
It just shows it’s not just about swing speed and distance.
Some of those spin numbers on irons do seem quite high. Maybe they are getting my distance with higher spin. Could it be there is something in that? Also interesting that the max height is very similar for all clubs. It’s something I have never looked at other than on driver.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Am no expert but probably consistent strike quality, and that allowing use of more 'players' clubs which tend to spin more for more control.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't worry what you hit compared to anyone else. To be honest my 7i only goes around 140 yards and the PW about 100 but I know what my average distances are for every club and decide on each shot using that as a starting point before adding in things like wind, elevation, where the trouble is etc. I am going to look a new technology going forward (maybe graphite shafts and definitely trying the Ping G410) to see if I can eek some more yards out but at the moment I'm not too hung up on my distances.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i could just be that as someone fairly new to golf, the swing is inefficient and the strike not good. i know when i started i only hit my Dunlop 5 wood 150 yards, thats now an 8 iron.lessons could help if you want to improve. wish i had them when i first started wasted a good 5 years getting bad habits and ingraining a swingfault.

or if you a taking distance this time of year there could be a drop of in distance due to the weather and temperature

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

I could have typed this out marra

I’d imagine you aren’t efficient with your strike

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

As others have said, concentrate on picking the club for what distance you have to hit. The distances are what they are, so 140 to pin needs from you a 7 iron.
This may change with lessons etc but where you say you haven't measured your swing speed, that is something I would do.
I suspect that what you call your swing speed may not be the same as club head speed. It's the latter that gets measured. The first could just be you thrashing at the ball- don't know but I'd get your club head speed measured.
That could reveal the reason for your distances.
That clubhead speed measurement should be part of the first lesson with the Pro, who may put yards and yards on your swing, you being 34 and fit.
Best of luck anyway.