I'm forever tweeking !!

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Let me explain.

For one reason or another i've never ever been able to settle with a grip, a stance, a swing thought, or a pre shot routine.

Over the years i've merrily made my way down to my current handicap of 7, mainly through lessons, lots of practise, and the odd bit of luck along the way. However for reasons best known to myself I can't just stick with "what works" and i'm constantly tweeking my technique trying out new things.

Am I just odd? Or do other golfers "tweek" as much as I do?

DHM.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
7 is just a dream, I've got a long way to go to reach that. Mind you I had to go to the range last week to re-tweek my set up, which was going to cock. I guess that it's just human nature and wanting to better ourselves regardless of what level we're at. That's the great thing about golf, so many varibles to 'manage', and mess around with. I guess that at 7 h'cap you must be perfecting your draw and fade as and when required?

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think about it this way . You're at 7 now.....no tweaking and the chances are you'll stay there. I'm guessing you're aiming to get as low as possible ? It seems logical that you must already be pretty good so it may be just a tweak thats needed to knock , say , just a single shot off .
I think when you start trying major swing changes that the problems could occur....in my humble opinion :)

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There's been a few who have re-modelled their swing . In fact , i believe Mickelson is in the middle of a swing change at this moment in time. What i meant was that it would be rather drastic if a decent 7 handicaaper who plays the game for pleasure were to suddenly decide on a swing change.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm terrible for tweaking especially down the range especially if I'm not hitting it that well. The problem is I go down with the intention of working on a specific but just end up trying loads of different set ups and shots and so never get to work on what I intended.

I'm actually much better on the practice ground. I think it is the fact that I have pick up my own balls that keeps me focussed on the task in hand. Also there is always someone I know hanging around and so peer group pressure plays a part in trying to hit decent shots

ball_basher

Assistant Pro
Visit site
im always tweaking , when im in the groove i try to keep it the same , trying to find the groove is the hard part and thats when the tweaking comes in , i have got a comp on Wednesday morning so i played 44 holes today in very windy conditions and i tweaked all the way around , i think i am nearly there , i have been struggling off the tee for about a month along with my putting , but i put the putting to bed today and was driving well at the end , and no wind on Wednesday , hopefully happy days

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you put your game into the following sections, I rarely have more than two working at any one time:

Driving
Irons
Chipping
Putting
(I know you could split further)

As I don’t get much time to practice, I concentrate on the problem area. This tends to improve, but another goes backwards. Sometimes I over compensate for the original problem so have to re-tweak my technique.

Maybe I would be more consistent if I didn’t tweak? Is it better to shoot 85 each week, or struggle in the 90s for a month, then break 80 a couple of times the next (winning something on the way!)?

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess that at 7 h'cap you must be perfecting your draw and fade as and when required?

I wish. I have both the fade and the draw in my game, just not always on demand ;)

Am glad to hear that i'm not alone in this never ending search for golfing perfection. To be honest i'm quite happy with my game as it is. However like every other golfer out there i'm trying to improve as much as my ability will let me. And, like all other golfers out there I have days on the course when it just goes very very pear shaped and I end up trying something new.

I think my biggest problem is I read too many golfing magazines with instructional advice. Over the months i've read numerous drills from different instructors on how to rectify a slice, a hook, a top, a fat etc etc. Each of the drills are subtly different from the last and by the end of it all I just don't know what to believe :D

DHM.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would agree with you that you can read way too many instructional tips in books, mags, and see on DVD. I seldom have the same swing two days running, and I think this has to be holding me back. On the other hand, the next little tweak could be the big one.