I'm developing a golf analysis tool

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
No it does not as long as the guy was aiming for the next or next again , fairway. The whole point of the stat is an indication of how accurately you drive the ball. If you carve it 30 yards offline but have a clear shot, that isn't accurate it's lucky.

Can someone please explain to me how I can go to the range and practice getting lucky? Could make a big difference to my scores (which incidentally is the ONLY stat I'm interested in)

Or understanding the right place to miss? Rather than lucky.

A great example (as we are both massive fans of Saunton), 14th on the east. I have been on the 15rh fairway more times than I've hit the 14th, it's 60yds right, however, I sure as hell ain't missing 10yds left on 14 as its lost ball! Same as the 1st, I've been on 17 of west a number of times

D

Deleted Member 1156

Maybe I don't get this argument because I don't miss fairways :D

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No it does not as long as the guy was aiming for the next or next again , fairway. The whole point of the stat is an indication of how accurately you drive the ball. If you carve it 30 yards offline but have a clear shot, that isn't accurate it's lucky.

Can someone please explain to me how I can go to the range and practice getting lucky? Could make a big difference to my scores (which incidentally is the ONLY stat I'm interested in)

then it begs the question why are you debating on this thread for and going on about fir if your scores are the ONLY stat your interested in??

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Sam,

Good luck in your ventures. You'll need it because the competition is fierce and there are some great products out there. Forget about doing this to make any money, it ain't gonna happen in today's market.

We launched 3 products (all Windows-only) between 2001 and 2007: all were commercially viable products but the market in which they competed simply doesn't exist anymore. Back then, you charged £X for a piece of software and that gave your customer the right to use the software in perpetuity. Our software only worked on Windows (how quaint/old-fashioned that seems as we approach 2016...) and wasn't web-enabled. A few years ago we decided to give the software away and move onto other ventures.

For what it's worth, here's my advice based on our experience:

1. Some golfers do not want stats and never will. Others will debate the value of saying "I hit the fairway" when you've topped it 20 yards off the tee. Similarly, a 300 yard drive that rolls 6 inches into the light rough counts as a fairway miss. Which one would you rather have in reality?

2. You need something unique: we tried to do this with Scoresaver 2 by adding "handicap standards" which basically assigned you a comparative standard for each stat based on your data. For instance, you could have a handicap of 12 but hit fairways like a 6 handicapper and putt like an 18 handicapper. This was partially successful but was always going to be controversial and could never be particularly accurate.

3. You really need to have some sort of integration with GPS data.

4. Handicap tracking is not really a feature, more of a minimum requirement of any golf software.

5. "Use the data to improve": we rolled out that sort of line too but what does it actually mean? We tried to extend our software to cover practice sessions, matchplay ties and lessons from pros so you could see the big picture. You can't just give people data and tell them to use it to improve, you need to show them how they can use the data.

6. As you'll know, software works on a purely logical basis. The world, and golf, do not operate on this basis so your coding is likely to be more complicated that you think. Here's an example: You hit a par 4 in 2 shots. You putt off the green into a bunker for 3 then hole your bunker shot for a par. That sort of bonkers event can screw up your logic...

7. Consider linking the data together to extract maximum data. For example, compare how often the user gets a GIR after hitting the fairway compared to missing the fairway.

8. If you are going to record penalty shots, make sure you clearly define how these are counted. For example, you drive out of bounds off the tee, reload and play your third shot. How many penalty shots is that? Is it 2 because you've driven off and are sitting 3 or is it 1 due to stroke and distance (we went for 1).

9. Good luck.

Cheers
Andy

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Read it again. It comes from the SS2 developer trying to help the OP with some points to consider. Seemed a very considerate and detailed response to me

Thanks for the instruction - once was enough. As products I believe these are in danger of being solutions looking for a problems and market penetration sufficient to generate a good return is unlikely.

If you will accept an alternative opinion: I still maintain that for the vast majority of golfers such analysis tools are overkill.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Except the OP hasn't visited the forum since 18 Nov so it is unlikely that he will ever view the excellent information that SS2 gave

And the thread until today has been dormant for the last month.

Just sayin .........

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for the instruction - once was enough. As products I believe these are in danger of being solutions looking for a problems and market penetration sufficient to generate a good return is unlikely.

If you will accept an alternative opinion: I still maintain that for the vast majority of golfers such analysis tools are overkill.

I see your point. I disagree though and SS2 has been a useful tool for both me and my teaching professional to see where things are working and where I'm falling short over periods of time