I'm An Idiot

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Goodish Golfer in me gets a straightforward par 4 on our 10th whenever I have had a rubbish front 9. The Idiot Golfer in me more often than not gets a double bogey 6 on it when I have had a good front 9. I do wish the Idiot and the Goodish would get their act together and not share a round.

The Idiot Golfer often makes stupid mistakes - the Goodish Golfer wonders if I ever made a clever mistake.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most people seem to be quoting their own mistakes with their own balls, which is half the fun, i've got one from myself which i felt extremely stupid for, and one from someone else (who still has no idea they did it)

For me, playing in a match i'm a few up after but having a bad hole. We are both on the green, I need about a 6ft putt for the half (assuming he misses his). I go to mark my ball, he grabs the flag sets it down and makes a few practice swings. I assumed he was near his ball so I walked backwards to look at my line... stepping firmly on his ball. No idea what the ruling would have been but assume its just replaced which we did, he holed it and the match moved on.

Second mistake was a few weeks ago in a medal. One of the players in my three happily is walking his motocaddy to his golf ball and runs right over another players ball (from a different hole) completely submerging the ball in mud. luckily I spotted the ball being hidden otherwise it would have been lost, again no idea what the ruling should be but lord knows i wouldn't be playing the ball which was buried.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing a 4 ball better ball bogey comp - players in pairs both playing their own ball - one score to count on each hole for each pair - I holed out for a par 4 without a shot when my partner had a putt for a 4 but had a shot. My ball in the hole finished the hole for me and my partner and so he could not improve on things. Our score was my 4.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Me too as he wouldn't actually have addressed the ball so I can only assume its viewed as a practice shot
Not so sure. The definition of a stroke is the forward movement of the club with the intention to move the ball, which is exactly what happened. The fact that the ball wasn't there may not change things. Someone like Colin or Rulefan might be able to clarify.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
when a PP called my name. I looked up, and then without looking back down at where I was promptly gave the ball a kick with my right foot (a miracle as I was always left footed). Immediately called it
I've done exactly this except it was on the green so able to replace and carry on as I was (after much debate and rule consultation)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe I'm misreading this or you've missed a bit out but why couldn't your partner putt out to have his score count?

Edit - unless it was a scramble not a betterball?

OK - I was loose calling it a better ball as that does have meaning. What I meant was that each player in a pair plays individually and their best score counts against the par for the hole (as it was a bogey comp). The rules of the comp were clear that as soon as either player in a pair had holed out, then that was that for the pair. So when I rolled my putt up to the hole and tapped in for a four and a half - the fact that my PP had a putt for a nett 3 and a win was irrelevant. Our play was over for that hole.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not so sure. The definition of a stroke is the forward movement of the club with the intention to move the ball, which is exactly what happened. The fact that the ball wasn't there may not change things. Someone like Colin or Rulefan might be able to clarify.

Yeah that's the way I think it is. The intent was to hit my ball so I was making a stroke. The fact I missed the ball by 10ft is irrelevant :eek: .

So, does that then count as the biggest air shot ever :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah that's the way I think it is. The intent was to hit my ball so I was making a stroke. The fact I missed the ball by 10ft is irrelevant :eek: .

So, does that then count as the biggest air shot ever :)
I'll be honest, I would never count a shot on myself for hitting a mushroom. I still don't get how you thought it your ball though - had someone written Titleist on it?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK - I was loose calling it a better ball as that does have meaning. What I meant was that each player in a pair plays individually and their best score counts against the par for the hole (as it was a bogey comp). The rules of the comp were clear that as soon as either player in a pair had holed out, then that was that for the pair. So when I rolled my putt up to the hole and tapped in for a four and a half - the fact that my PP had a putt for a nett 3 and a win was irrelevant. Our play was over for that hole.
What a very odd format! Don't think I'd rush to play it!

Once had a PP mistakenly hole out a 2 putt tap in in a scramble whilst others were still to play there first putts :rolleyes: He's never been allowed to forget it!

On several occasions in pairs matchplay I've seen players pick up their markers not realising they receive shots and could still win or halve the hole :rolleyes:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played today and hit the fairway on the 12th fairway. There were some leaves by the ball that I wanted to remove. Not a problem so parked the trolly up and was about to bend down and get rid of the leaves when a PP called my name. I looked up, and then without looking back down at where I was promptly gave the ball a kick with my right foot (a miracle as I was always left footed). Immediately called it even though it only moved by 6 inches or so but for the rest of the hole I was seething at my stupidity. Anyone else done anything equally as stupid?

I've seen your "football skills" and would not even say you were left-footed.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing a society event at New Zealand last year, I teed off the whites by mistake. The yellows were only just over two club lengths in front too. No problem with making the mistake but one of my playing partners watched me take two practice swings, hit the shot and then called it. Probably because I was -2 gross at the time and kicking his ass. The third guy in the group was having a slash and was really apologetic for not having noticed. Going down the fairway, the a-hole tells the third guy that he didn't say anything because it was the only chance he had of catching my score.

Let's just say he was sitting on his own for the dinner.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll be honest, I would never count a shot on myself for hitting a mushroom. I still don't get how you thought it your ball though - had someone written Titleist on it?

Was out by myself having a quick knock. Ball (Mushroom) was sitting down in the grass a bit. It was the exact same size as a golf ball from above. As I was playing quick didn't really check, looked like a ball, about where the last shot landed, so just pulled a club and swung at it.

I guess that's why it's in a post called "I'm an idiot" :p

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely one I think I'd avoid!

I enjoy betterball, dislike scrambles and detest bogey comps! :sick:

Def not a format for you then. I really enjoy bogey. At my place we use bogey as the 'qualifier' for one of our 'friendly leagues' the club plays in. I think it's a very good test of an individual's matchplay ability.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fortunately we only have one of these a year which is an honours board event
A regular singles bogey comp? Or a pairs scramble bogey?

One of my clubs has quite a few (too many, including a major) of the former but I honestly didn't even know the latter was even a thing :oops: