Illegal driver help required.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
OK, I have just found out my driver is non-conforming, was a Srixon XX10. I have been using for the past 2 months, used it in the 3 cards I submitted to get my handicap and also used it in the 5 medal rounds since (won none of them tho')

I have moved very quickly to replace my driver but where do I stand ??

Is my handicap null and void ? :(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suppose technically it is void as you've used an "illegal" club. In principal its the same as using a croquet style putting action or even taking an incorrect drop. Its a breach of the rules. How your commitee will see it is hard to judge. An honest error? Absolutely, but all the info on the banned clubs (rightly or wrongly banned - that's another story!!) has been around for years so you really should have picked it up sooner. I would own up to it asap to avoid being shopped by someone finding out. then at least you can't be called a cheat....

DCB

Visit site
Have a word with the Competitions Convenor at your club and tell them what's happened. Better doing that sooner rather than later and let him decide what needs to be done.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely, Keyser. As DCB says, it's an innocent mistake. Own up to the competition secretary right away. He/she won't be banning you from the club and will probably take a pragmatic approach. Good man. Respect to you for owning up here, too.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
yes own up.

I think the committee will admire you for doing so. At worst i think they might make you put in another card to see if there are any major differences.

If i was on the committee, as long as you have replaced your driver, i would just go with the cards you have put in already.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I cant believe you have been using an illegal driver for this long, the shame you must now be feeling robbing all of the other members while you achieve 50+ extra yards with your driver which is pretty much no different from any other driver on the market these days!
(just to be clear, thats a peepee take!)
I would agree with the posts above, if you have a quiet word with your comp committee man im sure he will probably let it slide, probably hinting that you wernt the only one to realise too late!
If it was some sort of laser guided putting device I could see through a disciplinary but for a driver, the worst I can see is you having your handicap reset with your next three cards handed in.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Having checked the dates, the only card for my handicap was the 3rd, therefore I may only have to submit one card for handicap reassessment, want to get it done asap (if required to) as its the club championship qualifying this weekend.

Will be going up to speak to the match comittee this afternoon, will let you know the outcome.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
As Brendy said, I'm not the first one to have this problem at my club.

I approached a member of the match committee this afternoon. After review he came up with the following -

As I had just returned to the game in November I wouldn't be fully aware of the rule change, although I must admit I did try to make sure my driver was conforming, it was only a small mark on the sole plate which made it stand out.

As the club was only used in one of my 3 cards for my handicap and due to the fact that (1) I have not really threatened in any competition so far and (2) I have moved quickly to replace with a conforming driver, no further action will be taken.