If you could retake one golf shot. Which one and why ?

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have all topped a drive, fluffed a chip or pushed a putt at sometime, but more annoyingly (and more commonly) do so when it mattered.

Which shot from your golf 'career' would you wish to have a free retake/mulligan on ?

Mine would be a 6ft putt which I raced past the hole on the 17th at Gleneagles PGA in September this year.

I was playing well and pulling my partner along. We were 1 up on the tee of the Par3 17th. Leading for the first time in the match

I nailed my tee shot to six feet. I then 'trained' the birdie putt 4ft past, and then pushed the return par putt and tapped in for a bogey and to lose the hole. My first 3 putt of the day !!!

We then halved the 18th and our opposing two-ball retained the trophy ( we play about 4 times a year for a Claret Jug)

I had worked hard on my putting over 2nd half of this season, and it had been solid on that day. I was confident of holing the 6 footer, so imagine my disgust when I completely ignored the downhill roll and fired it by...only to screw up the return too.

And as true friends, my opponents have not failed to mention it in any conversation since....:mmm:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing a big 36 hole 4BBB comp at our club a few years back with a really great partner for a nice trophy dating back many years.

Partner and I had a great first round and at the 14th on the second round we were still going well. 14th is a short par 4. I found the fairway and my partner, a big hitter, went for the green but blocked it into the trees on the right, so it was all down to me. Nice little wedge to the green but I just went a shade too far right and short sided myself in a collar of rough about 10 ft from the pin. So a nasty little shot, and unsure what to play I ended up hitting a horrible little stab which scuttled across the green leaving me 25 ft from the hole from where I 3 putted for double bogey 6.

Well of course we lost by a shot.

So I would like to take that chip again. I think even if I had duffed it I would have ended up closer.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would take my lob wedge on the second extra hole of the club championship knock outs back.

Played my tee shot to 70 yards from the pin. My lob wedge goes 60 yards full swing but I can get a few extra out it when needs be. On this day I may as well have picked a number at random. Hit it earlier a good extra ten yards into the wind. I figured it would go 70 again, a little short would still be on the green. Nope, went about 45 yards straight in the bunker. Ended up with a bogey and got the joy of watching the guy relax as he realised he could 2 putt his way to the next round.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was -1 through 9 playing in one of our board comps and was playing the best i ever have. I then stepped on the tee and hit 2 drives, one went OB and the other was lost in the Trees. I would have the first one back and hit a 5 iron off the tee instead of a bloody Driver. I ended up with a 10 and blew up on the back 9, Still played under my hcap but didnt finish in the top 5. Fuming I was.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I would replay my tee shot at the 2nd hole of the Old Course.
Having birdied the first, I did on the tee feeling great. And hoicked it miles right out of bounds.
A voice from a balcony in the hotel, calls out, "Nice shot, Bratty!". It's my mate, who's getting married that afternoon, who plays the Old Course regularly. Typical!
I reload and fire one dead down the middle, but walk off with a 7.
However, I then play some rather good golf, don't go in a single bunker, get two more birdies on 9th and 11th, and par The Road Hole.
I shot an 82, beating his best score on that course by 1 (and I didn't tell him until the day after the wedding!)...
but I reckon the 7 would have been a 4 had I hit it properly first time, and not been in a bad mood for a couple of holes, and round have broken 80 for the first time ever at the home of golf. An 80 would have been lovely too though.

simwood2

Hacker
Visit site
Maybe not quite what the OP meant I know but there's been far far far too many bad ones to retake, but the best I have ever hit and would love to do again was from the 16th tee at Bamburgh (which is pretty much a blind tee shot) - a 3 iron somehow 264 yards to the front edge of the green that from the moment it left the club just looked amazing. The amount of times I've relived it in my head.... I will probably never hit such a sweet one again oh well!!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tee shot on the 8th at Spalding golf club, 1st shot...OOB, reload for 3.....OOB, reload for 5...... OOB, reload for 7...... Blocked into a pond😡

It was the Club championship and I finished +2 nett, the 14 on that par 5 after 3 reloads cost me winning it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great question. I normally can't remember anything when threads pop up about best or worst shot, but I can remember plenty of these!

From a personal point of view, my second to the 7th at St Anne's Old Links in the first round of a 36 hole comp.
We'd started on the 10th so it was our 16th hole, and I was -3 gross. My drive found the rough about a 5 iron from the green, but didn't fancy a long iron from the lie so 'swung easy' on a hybrid which I flushed and the ball shot into bushes left of the green. Made double.
If I could take it again I'd hit 7 iron and take my chances at getting up and down from 10-20yds short.
It didn't affect my comp result, but it blew a legitimate shot at breaking 70 for the first time in competition.

A close second - and from a comp point of view - would be to retake my drive with a sensible club on the 18th in a better ball medal a couple of years ago.
We were -7 after 17 holes and we ended up using my partner's 3rd tee shot. :mad:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Only remember the good ones.;) Can't really think of one that really mattered in a competition.

Perhaps my tee shot to the 17th at St Andrews New. Stood on the tee two over, and put it into the right hand bunker. Shouldn't have been too bad, but ran up against the rake at the back on a big down slope, and there it stayed. Impossible second shot and did well to get a five.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
18th hole of the final of the Highland Open a few years ago. The first time I'd done anything of note in a scratch comp outside of my own club.

I had a two foot putt to win but it was a slippery, downhill, across the break one. I got caught in two minds between playing lots of break to dribble it in or less break and firm. The ball caught the edge of the hole but too fast so it lipped out. I lost to a birdie on the first playoff hole.

That putt still bugs me.... :angry:

Last edited:

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 3 foot putt on the 18th of the Old Course for par. A round of applause from the watching public for my 40 foot 1st putt. Up and down round and round to 3 foot. Then bottled it.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
My drive on the 18th, a fairly short par 5, in the Northern Medal Final a couple of years ago, I hit it into long rough, completely messed up the hole and finished with a 9. It turned out that a par 5, and probably even a bogey 6, would have meant I won the tournament.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Last hole at the Dunbar Open in July, going along nicely until then on a course I'd never seen, a bogey 5 on the last would have seen me in the buffer and happy days. Decent drive, 2nd shot nestled next to a wall short sided by a bunker. The 3rd shot is the one I'd like to have again please, too dull to explain the why's and wherefore's of what I chose to try but suffice to say that next thing I know i'm signing for a 7 and +0.1. Lesson 1 - there is a right way and a wrong way to 'take your medicine', Lesson 2 - sometimes hitting it in the bunker deliberately is the wisest choice. Lesson 3 - It's only golf, I still had a nice day out. :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow... an easy question! :)

The shot that lead to an 11 when I was level par (gross) with 3 holes to go.

A Septuple bogey. Takes some serious doing, and a special kind of "place in the head"... a bad place... a place of Van de Velde proportions.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quarter finals of regional matchplay comp at Shaw Hill, winners flown to Portugal for semis and final.

I was 2 up after 11 and the 12th (I think, may be a hole or 2 out) is an uphil dogleg par 4 where all you need to do is hit iron to the corner as there's a huge pit to the inside of the dog leg.

As I'd just won the last hole I, like a plum, decided to try and carry the corner with my driver

Needless to say I didn't and lost on the last :rofl:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Club's mixed 4BBB 36 hole KO final, my partner had just won the 36th hole with a long curving putt to get us into extra holes.

I usually play safely left on the first, which is a long par 5, but this can leave you blocked for your second and to get on in three you need a good second, I thought I'd be more positive and hit a braver line, cue a big slice OB right and we lost the hole to a par.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Board comp - 3rd Shot of 80 yards at the easy par 5 17th at Chorley GC..I'm +2 playing off 8 H'cap.

Thinned it straight though back into a world of Clag. Walked off with an 8 then doubled the 18th. :(

I was was ready for selling the clubs that afternoon. The only thing I could take from it was that I was 5 over after 4 then turned it around then Threw it away.:confused:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i really cant remember any shot that i would like to take a mulligan for.
yes i have hit plenty of duffs [havent we all] but tend not to dwell on my bad shots and just get on with making sure i dont duff two shots in a row.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never really been in contention of winning anything so can't pick something of that ilk.

So it will be my 4th shot on the par 5 18th at Wimbledon Common. Playing my best golf ever and having a great time. On the fringe in three about 25ft from the hole and about to use putter. "Just make sure you get it up by the hole" is the thought in my head. So give it a mighty bash and send it about 15 ft past. Miss the return and pop it in for 6. A five would have got me 50 points.

D

Deleted member 16999

We play an annual event in memory of my brother and 4 years ago I was 5 points behind the leader after 9, leader was another of my brothers who had never won the event, got him back to 1 point after 15 and could see the nerves had got to him and he was starting to rush, he'd never come close to winning the event and this was the closest he'd got. Par 3 16th he topped his tee shot about 40yds up the fairway and you could feel his disappointment, me next, smooth 7 iron and as I hit the shot I screamed, unbeknown to me I'd hit a tree root or stone just under the surface and something in my wrist went pop, ball landed just short of the green, but no good I couldn't hold a club and withdrew walking the remaining holes, no one else was close to winning and my brother who was 1 point ahead won. To this day he feels I lied and let him win feeling sorry for him. I wish I could take the tee shot again and finish the round beating him.
It's a fun event and there's no malice just family pride, but part of me thinks my brother would rather of lost than think he won through sympathy.