If Jack Nicklaus had only won..........

D

Deleted member 23270

Interesting question. I pretty sure Woods has been driven all his career to the the GOAT so I reckon he would have hung up his clubs by now.

As it stands, he has blown any chance of being the GOAT ;)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think so. I think he's playing because he still wants and loves to compete. Obviously he'll have Jack's major record in the back of his mind but I don't think that is his sole motivation for playing.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Imo yes.

Federer didn't stop when he beat Sampras and many thought his career was over after the emergence of Djokovic.

Im sure he’d still like to get 80 wins also. He’s finally fit, why wouldn’t he keep playing. It’s the sport he grew up loving. What else will he do?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course he would. Whenever he's interviewed now (which is a lot let's face it), I always get the impression that golf is his life and that's why he keeps doing it - not simply to chase records. I'm sure he realises it's unlikely he'll get another 4 or 5 majors now anyway.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm sure he realises it's unlikely he'll get another 4 or 5 majors now anyway.

I think that he does believe he will win more Majors. But if he had beaten Jack's record and with 100's of millions in the bank, what would he have left to prove? He should go off and chase waitresses :thup:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think that he does believe he will win more Majors. But if he had beaten Jack's record and with 100's of millions in the bank, what would he have left to prove? He should go off and chase waitresses :thup:

If money and women were all he was interested in, then he’d retire. But he’s interested in winning and competiting. Think of it another way. If he’d got to 20 majors in his early 30’s do you think he’d have packed it in? Or continued and aimed to win more.

All of the worlds greatestest sportsmen/women want to impose their legacy and what as great a record as possible. Their first aim is to get to the top, then it’s to extend it. Not just retire once one ahead.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If money and women were all he was interested in, then he’d retire. But he’s interested in winning and competiting. Think of it another way. If he’d got to 20 majors in his early 30’s do you think he’d have packed it in? Or continued and aimed to win more.

All of the worlds greatestest sportsmen/women want to impose their legacy and what as great a record as possible. Their first aim is to get to the top, then it’s to extend it. Not just retire once one ahead.
Agreed, I don't believe he's thinking about records, he just wants to get back near his best, taking each tournament one at a time.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
To answer the question, I think so.......more interesting is thinking about the incredible amount of runner up spots Jack had in Majors, 19, so what if he won say 22/24 majors. The chances are Tiger might have thought that a bridge too far. ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

No I don't agree. Once Woods had beaten the record and he had back problems, I think at that point he would have quit. As it is, he is going to end up a cripple if he carries on putting stress on his back. I guess millions in the bank will be a consolation when he is in a wheelchair.

And no, he isn't the GOAT.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You guys are talking like he's 60 years old. If he retired at 40 what on earth would he do for the rest of his years on the planet? Golf is his life.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Long live tiger I say!! I’d love to see him win another major.grew up watching him in the tiger era it’s great for golf he’s back!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tiger plays because he loves playing golf. Can he win any more majors, of course he can, will he, probably not. You can see his love for the game with how much he beats himself up over a bad shot. He is still playing because it is what he loves to do, not because he needs to.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say absolutely yes.

He he is a competitor, he’s not that old and would still have had sufficient desire to come back from the various injury problems.

He would have the mentality that he doesn’t want to break records, he wants to set new ones.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No I don't agree. Once Woods had beaten the record and he had back problems, I think at that point he would have quit. As it is, he is going to end up a cripple if he carries on putting stress on his back. I guess millions in the bank will be a consolation when he is in a wheelchair.

And no, he isn't the GOAT.

That was my thinking.
Why risk his health if he has nothing to beat, which makes me think the only challenge he has left is to beat Jack.