Identifying Your Ball On The First Tee

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I didn't claim that you said they were a cheat but to state a person carrying a spare ball may raise your suspicion of being a cheat is enough to offend me, and I suspect, many on here. Maybe if we played together I should declare both balls I might use and, possibly all the balls in my bag!

You can be as offended as you like. And if we did play together at ours, where it would take you all of 15 seconds to return to your bag to reload if one disappeared into the cabbage, and yet you still chose to play with a ball in your pocket, I would be keeping an eye open, whether that offends you or not, because you would have absolutely no reason for doing so.

If, on the other hand, we played at a track where leaving your bag 50-100 yards from the tee and you were to pop a spare in your pocket I would be less suspicious.

It’s a matter of context.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You can be as offended as you like. And if we did play together at ours, where it would take you all of 15 seconds to return to your bag to reload if one disappeared into the cabbage, and yet you still chose to play with a ball in your pocket, I would be keeping an eye open, whether that offends you or not, because you would have absolutely no reason for doing so.

If, on the other hand, we played at a track where leaving your bag 50-100 yards from the tee and you were to pop a spare in your pocket I would be less suspicious.

It’s a matter of context.

No ........ it's a matter of trust !

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Do people declare their ball on every tee? Why limit it just to the first tee?

Sounds like just another excuse for some people to get themselves irritated about something. Which is the favourite hobby of many golfers.

I only play one type of ball. They are all marked the same. If I need to hit a provisional I just make sure it is a different number.

Given how many people claim the use any ball they find. It could be an absolute nightmare keeping up with what everyone is using. Personally I don't care what others are playing, I don't worry about it, and I won't spend any time or effort trying to.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
In a competitive round I'd always declare my ball on the 1st, then again if I had to replace or change. And if I hit a provisional at any time I'd declare what it was too.

For me the only reason for your playing partners to not know what ball your playing, is so you can cheat.

For me 2 things. (Note I never carry two balls with the same markings so they can be individually identified).

1. For me it is about saving time and that walk to and from the bag. Very often my bag could be a 50 - 150 yard walk there and back. I am not not the sort of person that treats my bag like a comfort blanket and takes it as close as possible to where I am going to be next. Sometimes it gets left short (but out of the way) of the green I am going to in the knowledge I will be passing that spot again after driving off from the next tee.

2. Following a tip given out by ones of the pros I play two balls. Alternating the ball I use on each tee.

I have on a few occasions offered another player my second ball to save them the walk to the bag and back again.

Cant think of a reason for 2. Can you enlighten me?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
In a competitive round I'd always declare my ball on the 1st, then again if I had to replace or change. And if I hit a provisional at any time I'd declare what it was too.

For me the only reason for your playing partners to not know what ball your playing, is so you can cheat.

Your balls will warm your spare ball. It will fly further

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The pro was saying, contrary to popular belief, pros do not use a new ball on every tee. What you are seeing when the caddies change ball is because they are letting the first ball rest and return to normal shape. Titleist had said the sort of energy that goes in to hitting a ball (particularly with very strong players and the types of ball they play on tour) it takes 10 minutes for the ball to fully recover to normal shape.

D

Deleted member 3432

The pro was saying, contrary to popular belief, pros do not use a new ball on every tee. What you are seeing when the caddies change ball is because they are letting the first ball rest and return to normal shape. Titleist had said the sort of energy that goes in to hitting a ball (particularly with very strong players and the types of ball they play on tour) it takes 10 minutes for the ball to fully recover to normal shape.

I can't see that applying to anyone on here :D

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
If someone refuses to identify their ball on the 1st tee then to me it raises suspicions that they are prepared to cheat. I've seen it before looking for balls in the rough.
"Here's a Titleist 2"

"Cheers, that's it"

Fairly sure you putted out with a Srixon on the last hole :unsure:

LOL. You're asking the wrong question. Try "Hey what ball you playing?"....then wait for the answer, and pick up the ball you've found.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
On the first tee, I always state what ball I'm playing, I say "I'm using a Commando 3" , the reply is "If you are using a Commando we don't need to know the number"

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So anyone think that the pros take less than 10 mins to get to the green after their second shots ,all three putt out and get to the next tee before the ball has time to recover ? Unlikley.
But do they have to declare they have changed their ball or do the others just know as their all doing it.?

Friend of mine when practicing never putts with the ball he’s playing for this exact reason .
He told us it takes the ball out of round but we think it’s just his putting.;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I always carry a "frightener" in my left hand pocket. And I always make sure that it is numbered higher than my chosen ball in play. So if I am playing a Callaway 1, my frightener will preferably be a Callaway 2.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

So enlighten me please. In a medal round and out as a 3 or 4 ball, everyone declares their make, number and marking on the first tee and on the 7th hole, about 90 minutes later one of the players balls is in need of searching for. Do you remember from the 1st tee conversation the make, number and what distinguishes their ball without asking again as you reach the search area and if you can remember all the details of the balls do you also remember which player declared which one?