Identifying Your Ball On The First Tee

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If someone refuses to identify their ball on the 1st tee then to me it raises suspicions that they are prepared to cheat. I've seen it before looking for balls in the rough.
"Here's a Titleist 2"

"Cheers, that's it"

Fairly sure you putted out with a Srixon on the last hole :unsure:
I played a match once .
Guy hits his ball in the rough.
Plays his next shot onto the green and his ball had changed colour.
When I said “ you hit a white one off the tee”
He denied it so if someone claims it’s his ball there’s not much you can do.
Unless you call them a blatant cheat. Which I did and it wasn’t pleasant.
Should be mandatory to show your ball to your marker at least, with any ID marks pointed out to them.
And also if you put another into play.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Theres not a need theres a want! Haha, never lose a ball, yeah not a category I fall into!!!! In places yes its a long way to my bag when on a bad day I may hit a handful of reloads and I can carry one in my pocket, why wouldnt I.

I assume youve adderessed this to his face rather than just mentioning on a golf forum?

I suppose there’s a difference if it’s a regular playing partner, and you have played often enough with them to trust them. That’s why my comments here are not accusations relating to any of you - I don’t know you or any of your characters beyond the written word.

With regard to the fella at ours, it’s so difficult to accuse if you don’t catch someone in the act. I suppose it’s a classic case of being damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Accuse him of cheating when he’s not and it causes a royal stink. Accuse him and he is, same result.

I am sure most of us here are of similar mind. The use of the word cheat in a clubhouse always sticks, so the accuser needs to be very sure. I’m not with our fella, but it doesn’t stop me, and many who play with him, being deeply suspicious.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I played a match once .
Guy hits his ball in the rough.
Plays his next shot onto the green and his ball had changed colour.
When I said “ you hit a white one off the tee”
He denied it so if someone claims it’s his ball there’s not much you can do.
Unless you call them a blatant cheat. Which I did and it wasn’t pleasant.
Should be mandatory to show your ball to your marker at least, with any ID marks pointed out to them.
And also if you put another into play.
If it's that blatant then I'd just shake hands and walk back to the club house.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I suppose there’s a difference if it’s a regular playing partner, and you have played often enough with them to trust them. That’s why my comments here are not accusations relating to any of you - I don’t know you or any of your characters beyond the written word.

With regard to the fella at ours, it’s so difficult to accuse if you don’t catch someone in the act. I suppose it’s a classic case of being damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Accuse him of cheating when he’s not and it causes a royal stink. Accuse him and he is, same result.

I am sure most of us here are of similar mind. The use of the word cheat in a clubhouse always sticks, so the accuser needs to be very sure. I’m not with our fella, but it doesn’t stop me, and many who play with him, being deeply suspicious.

No, the approach is very different. I assume people are trustworthy until they give me any reason to not. And if I am certain of my stance then I wont sign their card (and have done so in the past). I certainly dont view someone Ive never played with before as "more likely to cheat" because they have a spare ball in their pocket on the first tee or any other similar reason

Billysboots

Visit site
No, the approach is very different. I assume people are trustworthy until they give me any reason to not. And if I am certain of my stance then I wont sign their card (and have done so in the past). I certainly dont view someone Ive never played with before as "more likely to cheat" because they have a spare ball in their pocket on the first tee or any other similar reason

I’m not saying people I’ve never played with are more likely to cheat, merely that it’s easier to trust those I know well. There’s a subtle difference.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m not saying people I’ve never played with are more likely to cheat, merely that it’s easier to trust those I know well. There’s a subtle difference.

No but you are implying based on whether they have a reload in their trouser pocket you will judge them as more likely to cheat than the guy without one

Billysboots

Visit site
No but you are implying based on whether they have a reload in their trouser pocket you will judge them as more likely to cheat than the guy without one

No I’m not. I’m saying it heightens my suspicions. Again, there’s a subtle difference!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hear the explanation that you can fish a ball from your pocket to play three from the tee. Is it so far to walk to your bag?

For me 2 things. (Note I never carry two balls with the same markings so they can be individually identified).

1. For me it is about saving time and that walk to and from the bag. Very often my bag could be a 50 - 150 yard walk there and back. I am not not the sort of person that treats my bag like a comfort blanket and takes it as close as possible to where I am going to be next. Sometimes it gets left short (but out of the way) of the green I am going to in the knowledge I will be passing that spot again after driving off from the next tee.

2. Following a tip given out by ones of the pros I play two balls. Alternating the ball I use on each tee.

I have on a few occasions offered another player my second ball to save them the walk to the bag and back again.

Billysboots

Visit site
For me 2 things. (Note I never carry two balls with the same markings so they can be individually identified).

1. For me it is about saving time and that walk to and from the bag. Very often my bag could be a 50 - 150 yard walk there and back. I am not not the sort of person that treats my bag like a comfort blanket and takes it as close as possible to where I am going to be next. Sometimes it gets left short (but out of the way) of the green I am going to in the knowledge I will be passing that spot again after driving off from the next tee.

2. Following a tip given out by ones of the pros I play two balls. Alternating the ball I use on each tee.

I have on a few occasions offered another player my second ball to save them the walk to the bag and back again.

If your playing partners know you’re doing that then there’s clearly not an issue. But if you’re playing with people you don’t know it may be wise to tell them.

As I say, it stops any awkward questions or unwarranted suspicion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
While those bolded words are true, we are all required by rule 20.1c(2) to not ignore any breach.
My point really that if another player finds a ball in the rough area I agree that his ball is lying, then I have to accept his word if he says he’s found his ball - especially if he did not identify his ball and any mark beforehand. If he finds a ball that he declares to be his in an area I am pretty sure his isn’t going to be in then I will ask whether he is sure…if he says yes then I must believe him. I would not report a player for cheating unless it is absolutely 100% obvious, and where a ball lies in rough is almost always got a significant amount of uncertainty associated with it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Why is there a need for it to be in your pocket? Whilst not for one moment accusing you of anything untoward, you leave yourself wide open to suspicion and suggestion of wrong doing.

We have a guy at ours who never loses a ball. Never. It doesn’t matter where it goes - knee high rough, wherever - he finds it. There have been rumours for years. He can also hit it 200 yards from the sort of rough most golfers need to take a wedge from. Nobody trusts him, but nobody has caught him in the act.

I played with him a few weeks back and his drive at ten flirted with OOB. His provisional was produced from his pocket. Now I can’t say for sure, but that may explain why he never loses any ammo.

I hear the explanation that you can fish a ball from your pocket to play three from the tee. Is it so far to walk to your bag?

I've rarely read a poorer opinion of fellow players. I absolutely always carry at least one spare ball, always a different number from any other ball I might be using and, quite often, a different make. I get quite peed off with players on a hole where we walk maybe 50 yards from our bag and they dont carry a spare. I would never assume someone is a cheat because they are sensible enough to play a provisional from their pocket and reckon if you feel that people are likely to be a cheat, if they do so, then I pity your opinion of fellow golfers.

Anyway, if I am going to look for someone's ball I always ask what I'm looking for before I start looking, so they really would gave to be a cheat to drop a ball and claim it's the lost one - I'd deal with that one if I was ever suspicious at the time

Billysboots

Visit site
I've rarely read a poorer opinion of fellow players. I absolutely always carry at least one spare ball, always a different number from any other ball I might be using and, quite often, a different make. I get quite peed off with players on a hole where we walk maybe 50 yards from our bag and they dont carry a spare. I would never assume someone is a cheat because they are sensible enough to play a provisional from their pocket and reckon if you feel that people are likely to be a cheat, if they do so, then I pity your opinion of fellow golfers.

Anyway, if I am going to look for someone's ball I always ask what I'm looking for before I start looking, so they really would gave to be a cheat to drop a ball and claim it's the lost one - I'd deal with that one if I was ever suspicious at the time

Where did I say I assume a golfer with a ball in their pocket is a cheat? I said it might raise my suspicion. I play at a club where it is possible to take bags/trollies up to the side of each tee, and as such there is no reason whatsoever for any player at ours to play with a ball in their pocket. None.

Stop being offended for the sake of it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Where did I say I assume a golfer with a ball in their pocket is a cheat? I said it might raise my suspicion. I play at a club where it is possible to take bags/trollies up to the side of each tee, and as such there is no reason whatsoever for any player at ours to play with a ball in their pocket. None.

Stop being offended for the sake of it.

I didn't claim that you said they were a cheat but to state a person carrying a spare ball may raise your suspicion of being a cheat is enough to offend me, and I suspect, many on here. Maybe if we played together I should declare both balls I might use and, possibly all the balls in my bag!