I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seniors match in what felt like mid-June and not late February. Glorious!

Lost our game but the team won the match overall. We both hit the ball nicely and putted well too but it was one of those games that turned on 4 bits of rather outrageous luck and sad to say we got none of them.

Off now to get my violin and a nice big bunch of sour grapes. :sick:;)

Wolf

Visit site
Managed my first round in just over 3 weeks thanks to working away preventing playing. So played in the midweek stableford roll up.

Had no expectations, warmed up was hitting my old soft cut I had as a junior with the driver lovely, used that all day hitting 13/14 fairways, hit my irons a little bit slappy and out of the toe on 90% iron shots but nothing that put me in to much trouble and recently started putting like I did as a junior with an Anser style putter and open stance (used to always try to mimic Crenshaw as a kid) felt so much more natural and distance control was lovely.

Shot +1 front half with 1 Bogey and 8 pars, back half made 1 birdie and 2 bogeys for a gross 74, 2 over par and cheeky 42 points to win the money pot.

What I learned today was find the game I had as a junior and stick with it. Its quite boring golf but it looked good on the card. Roll on my 5 day weekend.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First time nipping out after work this year. Glorious sunshine and the course to ourselves.

Level par for 10 holes. 3putted the last green like a clown. Putted well overall. Trying to get lined up then set myself more over the ball. Feels good and confidence was up with it. Will keep doing it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Cracking day on the course, shorts and polo only for the first time this year, 75 gross for 66 nett, game coming together nicely for start of the season.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a guy who has worn shorts every round all year including the winter (and played regularly). Granted it was for a bet but in your case it could be the answer. Think of the royalties from the coaching manual and your own short sponsorship deal. This is the future
Have spoken to UA and they are up for it 😉. Another day , shorts again and one under par 70 today 😁😁😁 winner winner chicken dinner 🤣🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the day off with a mate, we played West Middlesex because it was somewhere we hadn't played before. Course was in good nick, but I don't think we loved it generally. It actually felt like the public pay and plays we're used to to be honest. Couple of decent holes but having to cross a main road to go from the 2nd to the 3rd was a weird one. And there was a primary school next to one of the tees, we happened to arrive at playtime I think as they were making a right racket!

Felt like I played well but only managed 32 points thanks to a couple of slip-ups. Struck the irons nicely again which is the main thing. Well actually, the main thing was the beautiful weather. Shorts and t-shirts, and sunglasses no less! February??? Can't be.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Frost on the ground at the Zoo when we started at 7...
Warmed up nicely but a couple of layers needed to start.
Very average front 9 of 13 points to trail CVG by 3 but, importantly, leading Fragger by 1. He got his 12 points from 5 holes....:unsure:
On to the back 9 and a relatively steady 18 points saw me overhaul CVG on count acknowledge and leave Fragger trailing...
Greens are getting there but still a bit bobbly but still sunk a decent footage.
Let's do it all again Friday(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have spoken to UA and they are up for it 😉. Another day , shorts again and one under par 70 today 😁😁😁 winner winner chicken dinner 🤣🤣
I'm telling you. It's the future. I'm on 10% of the global profits. Get the short deal and book deal sorted and then it's Sky golf and the worlds your lobster

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in a 4BBB comp at West Lancs today. Weather was glorious again but our 34 points was really poor as we didn't gel but overall was pleased with my own game. I was a bit surprised by the lack of grass on the fairways and the greens were sandy and patchy. The course looks as though it desperately needs rain.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Frost on the ground at the Zoo when we started at 7...
Warmed up nicely but a couple of layers needed to start.
Very average front 9 of 13 points to trail CVG by 3 but, importantly, leading Fragger by 1. He got his 12 points from 5 holes....:unsure:
On to the back 9 and a relatively steady 18 points saw me overhaul CVG on count acknowledge and leave Fragger trailing...
Greens are getting there but still a bit bobbly but still sunk a decent footage.
Let's do it all again Friday(y)
A roundabout way of saying different day, same result. Fragger dispatched again. What's the 2019 win/loss ratio

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another 9 holes after work. Greens has been cut but still bumpy.

Nice to be out in the sunshine if a little cooler today.

Had to make the most of it as the weather is going to turn again. Hail showers predicted for Sunday.

Visit site
Second (9-hole) round of the year in glorious Italian sunshine

3 over par for the 9 (unbelievable for me) - obviously my best scoring ever against the card - if I had had longer I would have gone round again

4 pars 4 bogeys and a birdie; involving 2 chip-ins from the fringe, missing two 8-10 foot birdie putts, a Dustin Johnson tree scenario (no drop asked for) and a sh*nk!

Played the last like a real hacker as I was too busy rehearsing my maiden clubhouse speech in Italian

Have my 'interview' with the Pro on Friday so I can be allowed to play in Comps (as a new member) - If I'm asked to hit a few hopefully the magic wont have vanished completely

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went up after work with the intent of getting a quick nine in. Greens slit and being treated so all on temps. Aborted as I really hate playing to them and see it as pointless. Just a personal thing really. Went to putting green to do some chipping and pitching. Wish I hadn't bothered. Not a great evening and came home in a mood

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
been struggling with the driver again recently, so decided to ditch it and just hit my 5 iron off the tee yesterday. result - every tee shot in the middle of the fairway and 38 points. Obviously lost about 30 yards on my PP when he hit a decent drive, but he'd be lucky if 50% of his drives ended up in the fairway, so didn't feel I was at a massive disadvantage.

I know it's not a great long term strategy and am going to book a lesson to try to sort the driving, but it was an interesting experiment.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
been struggling with the driver again recently, so decided to ditch it and just hit my 5 iron off the tee yesterday. result - every tee shot in the middle of the fairway and 38 points. Obviously lost about 30 yards on my PP when he hit a decent drive, but he'd be lucky if 50% of his drives ended up in the fairway, so didn't feel I was at a massive disadvantage.

I know it's not a great long term strategy and am going to book a lesson to try to sort the driving, but it was an interesting experiment.

so the experiment continued this morning. Kept the driver firmly in the bag, 5 iron off the tee for all the par 4s and 5s, same outcome, 90% of them down the middle and another 38 points. May well stick with this for a bit longer!

Wolf

Visit site
Finished work early today so had an impromptu 13 holes as wasn't sure how long a full round would take and wanted to try out the New Scotty .

Played with our Pro today as I was on my own and he fancied a knock, he let me take out a Demo set of the Benross Evolution Type R irons as I had asked to Demo the Driver so went whole hog and tried the lot.

Drove it pretty decent with the stiffer shaft and was getting more distance than my normal Reg shaft Driver, but hit the irons lovely everything felt so nice off the face I couldn't tell they weren't a premium brand and I was a good half a club longer with them.

The Scotty what can I say for someone that's never been a fan I'm a convert after one round it felt brilliant and rolled well.

13 holes played, 10/13 GIR, 8/10 FIR, 23 Putts and 13 straight pars. Played lovely and no I'm bloody tempted by the Benross gear through the bag 🤔

Best part was chat and a pint with the Pro after it some good feedback from him where things can improve and we've booked a driver fitting for Monday morning

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well, the end of an era.
No more Imurg vs Fragger write-ups ( thank God says everyone)
In keeping with the request from Hobbit, Fragger was pulverised once more.
Foot on throat, dagger in heart - you know the stuff...

Another scrappy front 9(13) followed by a solid back 9(18) with back to back birdies on 13 and 14..
Stupid game.