I need to improve or give up (spoiler alert i don't want to give up!)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A PP said something today which i have heard before but it emphasised something. Basically if you keep doing the same thing wrong and don’t change anything. Next time you do it, it will still be wrong. Not only that if you do manage to “ cream one”. Will you actually realise what you have done and be able to consistently repeat it.
Lessons is the way forward.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Over the next 3 visits we worked on some basics.

How to grip the club.
How to stand over the ball.
Cut down the backswing.
Keeping a better arm structure.
Keeping headmovent to a minimum
Stop coming so much over the top.
Swing smoothly.
Getting onto the left through the shot.
Finish position.

He went by himself last night and sent me this video. Delighted with his progress.

I suggest you tell him today to finish up on his right toe in a balanced position, because what he is doing in that video could seriously damage his back.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Im have found it really useful to know *why* the ball does what is does.

For me, The Practice Manual by Adam Young was a very useful read. It covers all the ball flight stuff like gear effect, club path / face relationship and ball striking etc

This matters as when you've had your lessons and are practicing alone you have a better idea of what is happening and how to practice effectively.

Harley-D

Visit site
As others have said lessons. However not all lessons are the same. I have been on the verge of giving up so many times i find people arond me asleep!
I think i have had lessons from more than a dozen pros. They all had things to offer, bar one who admitted he didnt know what i was doing wrong!
However the real progress has been made with my latest pro with two lessons.....and i am now in love with game again. Point being the issues he corrected were my faults alone

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im have found it really useful to know *why* the ball does what is does.

For me, The Practice Manual by Adam Young was a very useful read. It covers all the ball flight stuff like gear effect, club path / face relationship and ball striking etc

This matters as when you've had your lessons and are practicing alone you have a better idea of what is happening and how to practice effectively.
He has summarised the ball flight laws here.
https://www.adamyounggolf.com/the-7-impact-laws-of-golf/
And there is plenty more on his website to look at.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I suggest you tell him today to finish up on his right toe in a balanced position, because what he is doing in that video could seriously damage his back.

It has been discussed. Finishing with belt buckle facing the target is something I've had to remind him about over and over.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are not 7 laws, there are 5.
Contact and dynamic loft are a result of the angle of attack.
Well I don't claim any expertise but surely dynamic loft is a result of a combination of shaft lean and angle of attack (plus face angle)? You could have a zero angle of attack and the shaft being theoretically if not practically anywhere from 90 degrees forward to 90 degrees back thus meaning the dynnamic loft could be anything.
And surely the contact is again a combination of angle of attack and low point position? The same angle of attack will result in very different contacts if the bottom of the arc is to inches behind or infront of the ball.

Blackdog67

Hacker
Visit site
An update! I haven't had a lesson yet but i did take a can of foot spray to the range and i at least now know that most of my shots are "low and toey". I have read a few causes of this and so will give me something to work on next time on the range.

Attachments

• Low & Toey.jpg
    Low & Toey.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 8

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
An update! I haven't had a lesson yet but i did take a can of foot spray to the range and i at least now know that most of my shots are "low and toey". I have read a few causes of this and so will give me something to work on next time on the range.
My advice is to try and avoid too much online advice. Can lead to going down a number of rabbit holes looking for a cause/solution that isn't necessary