I need some help.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been struggling with my mid to long range putting for a while now. I just really struggle with my distance control. I either leave them 3 foot short or knock them 5 foot past. I tried getting a heavier putter to see if being able to swing the putter easier would help and it did not. Now this problem is only on the course. On the practice putting green I do not have a problem. My mate has watched me and says that I am swinging it back and accelerating the head through. I am not cutting across the ball either. Why have I lost all ability to get the weight correct on my putts.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
This may sound daft. But try to feel the distance in your mind. Close your eyes. Then putt with your eyes shut. It will help get the feel back. Oh don't forget to line up excreta with your eyes open first lol.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Tricky without seeing you putt but.....
There are people who leave a few short and the next one give it a hit with the right hand which then goes 5 feet by.
If you try and keep a good tempo with your stroke and lengthen and shorten your backswing and followthrough, the 'feel' should return.
And don't hit it, stroke it.

[video=youtube;GsfxDNNxcNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsfxDNNxcNc&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Tricky without seeing you putt but.....
There are people who leave a few short and the next one give it a hit with the right hand which then goes 5 feet by.
QUOTE]

Is that a big no no, Bob?

If you look at the vast majority of putting instruction today, they all say keep the hands and wrists out of the putting stroke. That and keeping the lower half still means the only thing you have to control are the shoulders which just rock backwards and forwards or up and down in this case.