I need help... real issues with the shanks

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly I need to say a huge thank you to everyone thats posted on this thread and to those that have PM'd me also. I appreciate the help massively.

I've been to the range tonight, after trying a few of the suggested drills and then shanking more than ever (I hit a good 30 shanks in a row). It seems the Mark crossfield video has really helped explain to me what I expected I was doing (Moving toward the ball on the downswing). The drill of trying to hit the ball off the toe gets the ball sailing off into the distance straight out the middle of the club. Hopefully the second basket wasn't just a fluke but I didn't hit a single shank (plenty of topped ones though)

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
First round today with the new swing thought and wow... it really really works. I middled so many irons today it was unreal, striking was 100% better than I've had lately. Only had one shank which was because I was trying to force the wrong club too hard. Haven't felt as good hitting my irons for a while.

Thank you so much for everyones help. I just hope it works its way into my swing long term.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its contagious. Hit the range tonight and got a huge dose of the J Arthurs. Destroyed confidence and timing and no idea where they came from as the new swing changes had been working so well. I even managed to get the same ball around the course on Saturday. Hoping it is just a blip but really nervous for the session tomorrow. Fortunately I've a lesson on Friday which was going to be on the short game but we might have to put that on hold and deal with these

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think it was a combination of rushing up to the range = quick swing and tempo, swing changes still bedding in (think Murph) and old habit of the weight rocking onto the toes. Just slowed it down, went back to the drills and tried to stay focused