I need a new club

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone this is my first post,

I would love some advice about buying a new club. I haven't been playing to long and I was given a bog standard set of clubs last year. I've bought a new driver since then, Ive also bought a second hand hybrid which was as good as new, as the set didnt come with one. Both clubs are Ping G15's. Ive been having lessons with a pro and he said the irons are ok and they will do for now but the woods are pretty poor.

Here's my problem if I buy a 3 wood with a loft of around 15 degrees Im only 3 degrees higher than my driver as its a 12 degrees loft. Or should I get another hybrid with a lower loft (my current hybrid is 23 degrees) as Im a beginner and find it easier to get it off the ground.

Any advice or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Welcome

Ping do a 4 wood at 17 degree - that might help.
They also did one in the G10 range. You could get one cheaper than a G15 and to be honest it'll be just as good.
An 18 degree hybid will not go as far and could leave you a big gap to the driver. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what number or loft is on the club, its how far and how well you hit it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's my problem if I buy a 3 wood with a loft of around 15 degrees I'm only 3 degrees higher than my driver as its a 12 degrees loft.

I don't see the problem. I play with a 12 degree driver and a 15 degree 3 wood. The distance difference and control-ability of one vs. the other makes carrying both essential for me.
Chances are your driver will be 2 inches longer than a 3 wood and far more suitable club for shorter holes.

If you buy a 20 or 17 degree hybrid club you might regret it....easier off the grass than a 3 wood, considerably shorter off a tee.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice lads.

I know that I wont be able to hit it as far with a hybrid but I will be able to get it of the floor easier being a beginner. Idealy I would like both clubs in my bag to cover all distances, its just finding the one to get next.

Owen I would love not having to buy something new but the clubs I have are really basic and I do NEED and upgrade.

I guess I'll have to try both the wood and hybrid and see what I can control best. I'll let you know how I get on.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
richy, if you are ever stuck, I have a very good 3 wood (R5 dual TM) for sale. Not in a rush to get rid, but thought I'd mention it.