I Need a mobile phone

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Believe it or not, I have never owned a mobile phone, instead, my employer has provided one that I have used for business and personal usage.
Yesterday I was told that my position is at risk of redundancy, so I guess that I need to start looking into getting my own phone.

I've always had iPhones from work (currently using iPhone 7) and would prefer to stick with an iPhone rather than switch to Android.
I'm not too bothered about having the latest and greatest phone model.

I don't make or receive that many calls - probably no more than a dozen quick calls per week.
I don't text that much either.
What I do use though is data (internet & apps), but I don't know how much data I typically use (maybe my employer will be able to advise).

So, I'm looking for recommendations for which network to go with and where to get the best deal from.

I do have an old iPhone 5 that work have probably forgotten about and I may be able to hang onto, although in good condition, it does struggle with modern apps.
So may consider a sim only deal and get the handset unlocked (currently on Vodafone).

Cheers

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Up here and in the Essex area, Vodafone are generally the best for network coverage. The others have always seemed a bit hit and miss, same as when we are on holiday.

I recently bought an iphone and got a big data deal of 40GB for £30.00(less 15% if any of your family also has Vodafone and add it to their bill btw iirc)

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-deals/

Not the cheapest but best coverage and as wife/son have found out on other networks, no point in having data if you cant use it:rofl:

If you stream 40GB is not masses.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've been with Vodafone for years, first through work, and then on a personal contract, and never had a problem. Currently SIM only, got a cracking deal, £17 a month for 16gb of data with free Spotify chucked in.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've been with Vodafone for years, first through work, and then on a personal contract, and never had a problem. Currently SIM only, got a cracking deal, £17 a month for 16gb of data with free Spotify chucked in.

forgot to mention, they have however been voted the worst mobile provider for the last 7 years!

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What other devices do you have?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "other devices". I don't have a tablet, iPad or anything like that.
I have TV, landline and fibre with Sky, so maybe they will have some good mobile offers for existing customers.

As far as data usage is concerned, I don't watch streamed video of listen to the music providers.
I tend to check online content - eg the football scores, and listen to radio stations when I go out for a walk in the evening - no more than 30 mins a couple of times a week.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Avoid Vodafone, horrific customer service, and for goodness sake, never ever try to leave them.

O2 always good, and I've had no issues with EE

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mobiles.co.uk are an arm of car phone warehouse, but are a lot cheaper. Bought my S9+ from them.
I was about to suggest this. I just got my new phone from them, their contract deals are ridiculously cheap, much cheaper than going to any network directly. I've got the 2017 Galaxy A5, 4gb data for £24 a month. On my last contract with EE I was paying 32 for a bloody Huawei and the same data! Definitely check mobiles.co.uk for a great contract deal.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who is your broadband provider. If BT for example they do half price sim only deals. I have found Tesco coverage very good in most areas and it was who I was with prior to BT (for mobile).

BT has the advantage that there are lots of BT hot spots for WIFi coverage to save on data use.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I was in a similar position and initially got a cheap smart phone for about 70 quid. And it did the basics, but it was slow and didn't have much space on it. So I got a S8 on EE and it is really good. I use it as a sat nav, store 100s of songs and podcasts on it and it's a great camera. I thin I have about 5 gig a month which is fine for my needs.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Who is your broadband provider. If BT for example they do half price sim only deals. I have found Tesco coverage very good in most areas and it was who I was with prior to BT (for mobile).

BT has the advantage that there are lots of BT hot spots for WIFi coverage to save on data use.

I'm with Sky (TV, landline, broadband), so they are probably worth considering.
O2 customers tend to get some good deals outside of their mobile phone - priority tickets for example.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure exactly what you mean by "other devices".

Other people have covered it but I was thinking tethering etc. I tether my tablet to my phone a lot and that eats data. I don’t stream much though.

I am with iD, they are a spin off from carphone wharehouse and use 3s network. Nothing special so far.

I do pay only £10 a month, capped to £15 so no surprise bills which is great.

But it does have data rollover so when I don’t use it much it gets added to next month.

Got 8GB to use this month which is lasting nicely.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gary, do you have Sky TV? If so get a sim only deal (unlimited calls and text and 1GB data) for 5 quid a month and use the old iphone 5 you have. Job done. Sods law you will find a new job quick and get a new company phone, and you will be stuck in a 24 month contract for something you dont need/want.