I must be the worst player at my range

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Why?

I reported a few weeks ago that I was practicing a few weeks ago with 2 pro's either side of me and felt quite ok.

Today I was practicing and a young lad was striping the ball miles, after a while he struck up a conversation and said that he had played in the Hampshire Hog weekend and struggled and that the ballot had been +2, he said he was +3

No sooner had he gone when someone moved into the bay next to me and was an older guy that the previous one, he too was walloping it miles. He then said that he'd just returned to golf after a layoff for a few years and that Littlestone had given him a +1 handicap. He said he had been a one time winner on the European Tour and certainly was looking like he knew what he was doing

I do like to hit next to these guys it just improves my concentration and they are interesting to chat to - is it like that for you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have an ex Sunshine Tour player at my club. He's what you could say built for comfort and probably hasn't seen his feet without a mirror for years. His swing isn't textbook but as Hawkeye and Ads749r will tell you he can bomb it miles. I always get intimidated practicing next to him even though he's always generous with his time and will try and help anyone if he can. On a range next to two strangers like that I'd simply stop and watch what they were doing

G

guest100718

Why?

I reported a few weeks ago that I was practicing a few weeks ago with 2 pro's either side of me and felt quite ok.

Today I was practicing and a young lad was striping the ball miles, after a while he struck up a conversation and said that he had played in the Hampshire Hog weekend and struggled and that the ballot had been +2, he said he was +3

No sooner had he gone when someone moved into the bay next to me and was an older guy that the previous one, he too was walloping it miles. He then said that he'd just returned to golf after a layoff for a few years and that Littlestone had given him a +1 handicap. He said he had been a one time winner on the European Tour and certainly was looking like he knew what he was doing

I do like to hit next to these guys it just improves my concentration and they are interesting to chat to - is it like that for you?

nope, not really

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
This thread has unsettled me, as it's made me realise that the last time I went to the range was probably 10 or more years ago.

I know that says an awful lot about my dedication, but it's just that 10 hits into a bucket of balls and I just get bored rigid.

Can anyone recommend a routine that I should follow should I one day be able to force myself to visit the range once more.

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This thread has unsettled me, as it's made me realise that the last time I went to the range was probably 10 or more years ago.

I know that says an awful lot about my dedication, but it's just that 10 hits into a bucket of balls and I just get bored rigid.

Can anyone recommend a routine that I should follow should I one day be able to force myself to visit the range once more.

"Playing the course" on the range really helps here.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Judging by the number of walls and pillars being hit, the number of balls I see a foot or two off the front of the range and the amount of swearing I hear, I must be the best player at my range because I don't do any of that!!!!

And that's quite a frightening thought.......

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Judging by the number of walls and pillars being hit, the number of balls I see a foot or two off the front of the range and the amount of swearing I hear, I must be the best player at my range because I don't do any of that!!!!

And that's quite a frightening thought.......

I was at a range in Godalming the other week and spotted a ball embedded in the roof above the bay I was in!

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why?

Where were you practising?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tend not to notice what's going on around me on the range unless I'm near a post-strike-grunter, need a hard hat or have a leftie standing right in front of me! Then I move bays...

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
LOL that vid from the coach has a couple of ricochet sounds from other bays going off in the background as the guy is saying his bit!

p.s. practice your weakness so they become strengths. If you can't hit a draw or a fade.... practice!

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was on lads trip to Portugal last week, was on the range at Victoria course enjoying my free pyramid of balls, when Álvaro Quirós rocks up next to me.

Felt inferior :eek:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, thanks Coach. And now if I can just summon up the will to go to the range instead of the course I may just be on to something.:thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Was on lads trip to Portugal last week, was on the range at Victoria course enjoying my free pyramid of balls, when Álvaro Quirós rocks up next to me.

Felt inferior :eek:

He's an absolute joy, he was at Kings of Distance last year and was so friendly