I have 1 ugly iron and it's going to make me do something stupid -mizuno tp9

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

End of last year I picked up a set of mizuno TP9s for less than £30. I had them refurbished with cerakote and I'm committing 2020 to playing every round with them..... Even to the point that I've just sold all my standard club's to gold bidder.

On the whole I absolutely love the mizunos and can see great improvement in my game already. But there is one issue.....

The pitching wedge is just so damn ugly, the offset is offensive to my eye and I can't stop hitting it left..... Every other club is amazing.

So what do I do.... Find another 50 degree wedge to replace it, get another set, or just grind on with it until I get used to it.

I know it seems trivial, but I have no confidence with that club.

D

Deleted member 18121

Thanks for replies, my OCD wonders about having a strange club in the set, but that's got to be better than how I feel about the PW

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
What are you other wedges? Can't you just match them.

Seems odd when the PW normally has the least offset doesn't it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Change it. If you don't like what you are looking down on at address then hard to make a committed shot regularly. I could also understand if you were playing chip shots and not liking it for those either. I'm sure you could find alternatives on e-bay or the second hand golf stores

D

Deleted member 18121

What are you other wedges? Can't you just match them.

Seems odd when the PW normally has the least offset doesn't it?

I use the TP-9s from 4-sw

What's odd is that the sw is also offset but it doesn't look as bad, but the PW I just can't get on with and every round that goes by I dislike it more and more.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use the TP-9s from 4-sw

What's odd is that the sw is also offset but it doesn't look as bad, but the PW I just can't get on with and every round that goes by I dislike it more and more.
If it was me (and my OCD) I would get a different PW and SW and with the SW look at the bounce option to suit the type of sand in the bunkers. Maybe even a GW as well.

D

Deleted member 18121

If it was me (and my OCD) I would get a different PW and SW and with the SW look at the bounce option to suit the type of sand in the bunkers. Maybe even a GW as well.

I'm having a good look around eBay as I think that could be the answer as well. Only problem I've got is that not many photos show the club's at address so I'm a little blind with the level of offset.... I've seen a couple of mizuno MP series oxidize black wedges (50 and 56) which are very good value.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
You must have very sensitive eyes is all I can say, I just compared my TP-9 wedge and 9 iron and can barely see a difference.

It must be down to the creosote coating you saw fit to inflict on them.

I think we need a picture.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi all

End of last year I picked up a set of mizuno TP9s for less than £30. I had them refurbished with cerakote and I'm committing 2020 to playing every round with them..... Even to the point that I've just sold all my standard club's to gold bidder.

On the whole I absolutely love the mizunos and can see great improvement in my game already. But there is one issue.....

The pitching wedge is just so damn ugly, the offset is offensive to my eye and I can't stop hitting it left..... Every other club is amazing.

So what do I do.... Find another 50 degree wedge to replace it, get another set, or just grind on with it until I get used to it.

i'm suprised about the offset, they are butter knives so would have little or none

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the same thoughts as Homer. Just get matching PW, GW, SW (and LW if you need it). Choose the right bounces and lofts. Problem solved.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry but a handicap golfer choosing a wedge based on the type of sand? Isn't that a bit like putting a go faster spoiler on an Austin allegro?
but thats one of the main reasons for choosing which SW, the bounce. if you are not taking this into consideration, you are putting yourself at a big disadvantage

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi all

Years ago, I bought a set of TP9s to practice with while working/staying in Warrington. The PW was, indeed, fugly - as, imo, are many Mizuno PWs! My MP30's PW stood out as a bit of a monster too. From memory, even the PW in TP11 and MP33s were that way. I seem to remember commenting that 'Miz don't seem to know how to make a PW that matches the beauty of their other irons'!

My suggestion is to have a practice session with ONLY the PW. That should restore your confidence in it to such an extent that you merely smile when you need to use it in earnest. And remember that that offset is there to help you!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
but thats one of the main reasons for choosing which SW, the bounce. if you are not taking this into consideration, you are putting yourself at a big disadvantage

You are clearly lucky to be playing at a golf course with consistent bunkers. At mine, and I suspect many others, every bunker is different. Some have fine sand, some coarse, some have the worlds supply, others none. I just buy a SW I like the look of. It will be suitable for some of the bunkers.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are clearly lucky to be playing at a golf course with consistent bunkers. At mine, and I suspect many others, every bunker is different. Some have fine sand, some coarse, some have the worlds supply, others none. I just buy a SW I like the look of. It will be suitable for some of the bunkers.

Exactly. A bounce that makes going shallow through sand easier is common sense, having clubs with different bounces for different types of sand is mental, I doubt there's many tour pros that go to that kind of extreme

D

Deleted member 18121

IMG_20200526_095046.jpg

Here is the offending wedge for those that wonder (bad quality photo from a knock off phone).... I know it may not seem much to some but it's just awful looking in comparison to the rest of the set.

I played with Cleveland wedges for years which I liked, but there are some mizuno MP series black ox wedges on eBay for cheap money. Just need to try and get photos of the head at address to see if they look in same style as the tp 9