I got wood !...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the part that I just don't get as after all it's only a half inch longer and maybe a degree flatter than the 7i but the way I've been hitting it of late you'd have thought it'd come from another cosmos altogether, just don't get it, anyway it's in solitary confinement for the foreseeable future but I may get round to it at a later date, lucky for me I don't rely on it and I hardly ever used it anyway... :thup:

ps, been spying hybrid equivalents on eBay this avo...:rolleyes:
Similar to me, although if I analyse it closer, each longer club is probably fractionally worse than the previous one. So the 8 iron is usually good, the 7 iron is decent, the 6 iron is ok sometimes, and the 5 iron is ok on the odd occasion. I've been having more success lately though by simply gripping a bit further down on the longer ones though. Half in inch down on the 6 and an inch down on the 5, makes them feel a bit closer to the 7 iron and I seem to get good strikes a bit more often.

D

Deleted member 21258

I carry a 7 wood and 9 wood, think the 7 wood is 24 degrees(this is about 180 carry) and 9 wood is 29 degrees iirc(about 165 carry) [also got an 11 wood in the shed, but goes the same distance as my 7 iron(33 degrees) which for me is a goto club at 150 yards, can hit it 160 yards depending on how fast I swing.

I do carry a 6 iron which on a good hit is 160 yard carry but would rather hit the 9 wood, which is about the same carry distance, as my 6/5/4 iron is so hit and miss when compared to the 7 iron and 9 wood.

Someone before mentioned about probably down to not hitting the club very often and I think they maybe right. I started carrying a 4 iron this year, purely for hitting very low out of trees(which I hit a couple of times a round:p), great for this shot but have played around a bit more with this club into wind etc with full shots this year and can sometimes now hit a good shot with it, when previously it was an absolutely a no goer(but still would rather hit my 7 wood).

If it works use it.:D

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Similar to me, although if I analyse it closer, each longer club is probably fractionally worse than the previous one. So the 8 iron is usually good, the 7 iron is decent, the 6 iron is ok sometimes, and the 5 iron is ok on the odd occasion. I've been having more success lately though by simply gripping a bit further down on the longer ones though. Half in inch down on the 6 and an inch down on the 5, makes them feel a bit closer to the 7 iron and I seem to get good strikes a bit more often.

I'm gonna have a bit of a play with it one evening after work and see if I can't figure it out, it does seem a little long to me as I keep grounding it out quite badly which says 'too long' but it's at the correct length for a standard 6i at 37-inch the 7i is the correct length at 36.5 and so on but for some reason I just can't seem to hit it at all, the 6i has never really been one of my favoured clubs as I much prefer the 7/8/9i etc but this one is just a 'complete' no-go for some reason...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
original quote says 6 iron is half an inch longer and a degree flatter than the 7 iron. I commented that a 1 degree loft difference seems small - its usually around 4 degres loft, no? Sorry if i have confused myself!

I'm referring to the lie angle not the loft of the iron... :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I carry both 4 and 5 hybrids. 24 and 27 degrees of loft. absolutely smashing clubs. can get a little more distance out of them than I would say hitting the equivalent 4 and 5 irons.

It is also easy to take a bit off them either by hitting them high and soft landing off a tee peg on a par 3 or just by hitting them a little easier.

Magic clubs. Will never leave my bag.

Consistency of strike is miles better than hitting 4 and 5 irons. That is what golfers are always trying to achieve. They just make the game easier.

The video of mark Crossfield hitting the new Cleveland range was interesting. He absolutely loves them most golfers. he actually said he could go up and down the range and improve peoples games just by giving them these clubs without changing their swing. This is achieved by improving the overall quality of strike and consistency.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I carry both 4 and 5 hybrids. 24 and 27 degrees of loft. absolutely smashing clubs. can get a little more distance out of them than I would say hitting the equivalent 4 and 5 irons.

It is also easy to take a bit off them either by hitting them high and soft landing off a tee peg on a par 3 or just by hitting them a little easier.

Magic clubs. Will never leave my bag.

Consistency of strike is miles better than hitting 4 and 5 irons. That is what golfers are always trying to achieve. They just make the game easier.

The video of mark Crossfield hitting the new Cleveland range was interesting. He absolutely loves them most golfers. he actually said he could go up and down the range and improve peoples games just by giving them these clubs without changing their swing. This is achieved by improving the overall quality of strike and consistency.
I wouldn't agree that hybrids are always easier to hit than irons. They take some getting used to. My 4 hybrid is probably easier to launch the ball than the 5 iron, but also it's more likely to be a hook or slice. So it's just a different kettle of fish really. Some will find them easier and more consistent, but others won't.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In terms of strike hybrids and undeniably easier than irons.

They are much more forgiving on off centre hits.

Where the hybrid beats an iron for most players. Not all of yous but the majority. Say over 100 balls, it will allow you to hit a certain distacne easier. It removes more short misses. You willl still miss left and right like you do with an iron but the short ones due to poor strikes are vastly reduced.

In essence. Its more consistent. Theres that word everyone from tiger woods to mr day 1 golfer is chasing.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In terms of strike hybrids and undeniably easier than irons.

They are much more forgiving on off centre hits.

Absolutely agree 100%, but.....

If I had to carry a water hazard just short of the green I'd feel more comfortable with a hybrid, but if I had a narrow fairway to hit the iron wins every time.

Weird game innit!

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't agree that hybrids are always easier to hit than irons. They take some getting used to. My 4 hybrid is probably easier to launch the ball than the 5 iron, but also it's more likely to be a hook or slice. So it's just a different kettle of fish really. Some will find them easier and more consistent, but others won't.

Agree with this. I find hybrids quite tough as a high handicapper - maybe because I rarely use it whereas I am using my irons all the time? For me, the danger is always a shank with the hybrid. I probably haven't got the technique down right.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with this. I find hybrids quite tough as a high handicapper - maybe because I rarely use it whereas I am using my irons all the time? For me, the danger is always a shank with the hybrid. I probably haven't got the technique down right.
Yeah mine's hit and miss. When you catch it right it looks beautiful, but to use one example from my course - the 7th is a long par four and your second shot is usually a long one but mostly blind as you go over a hill. On that shot I always go for the long iron because I back to stay relatively straight even if I thin it or hit it out of the toe or heel - whereas if I miscue the hybrid and it sails left or right over the blind hill I'm going to have a hard job finding it.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well I got the 6 out yesterday morning and did a lie check on it and it's spot on, smack bang under the badge, so I took it out for a spin and started to hit it reasonably well once I'd figured out that I needed to stand almost bolt upright which got me to thinking so I headed back to the workshop and got the ole steel ruler (well, its aluminium actually) out and checked the length and yep 'aff inch longer' the little beggar...

I've left it as is for now as shortening will alter the lie apparently and I don't really wanna do that as when I hit it rite I get the same drawing shot as the rest of the irons...

I took it out for another practice sesh this morning and I'm still achieving the same shot so I'll just have to get used to the odd feeling of standing more upright with the 6 than I need to with the rest of the irons...

7 through SW feel really comfortable at the length they're currently at, just the 6 that feels a bit weird but I'm sure I'll learn to live with it... :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well I got the 6 out yesterday morning and did a lie check on it and it's spot on, smack bang under the badge, so I took it out for a spin and started to hit it reasonably well once I'd figured out that I needed to stand almost bolt upright which got me to thinking so I headed back to the workshop and got the ole steel ruler (well, its aluminium actually) out and checked the length and yep 'aff inch longer' the little beggar...

I've left it as is for now as shortening will alter the lie apparently and I don't really wanna do that as when I hit it rite I get the same drawing shot as the rest of the irons...

I took it out for another practice sesh this morning and I'm still achieving the same shot so I'll just have to get used to the odd feeling of standing more upright with the 6 than I need to with the rest of the irons...

7 through SW feel really comfortable at the length they're currently at, just the 6 that feels a bit weird but I'm sure I'll learn to live with it... :thup:

It won't alter the actual lie angle of the club, but will alter the angle the club sits on the ground using your normal address. Not a lot though, probably less than half a degree.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It won't alter the actual lie angle of the club, but will alter the angle the club sits on the ground using your normal address. Not a lot though, probably less than half a degree.

I'm half tempted to shorten it and see how it goes as I can always lengthen it again if need be, just seems a shame to cut the shaft unnecessarily...

May we'll try gripping down for now and see what happens, but I think I was already gripping down on it when I was having the striking issues...

If that is indeed the case then I've two options, the first is to learn to play it as is, the second option is to shorten the shaft and have the clubs 'lie' adjusted upright by a degree...

The other problem I face is what to do about the other irons as they're all a half inch longer n'all but they feel so nice and I hit'em so well that I really don't wanna fiddle with'em especially as I've finally managed to find some irons that actually work for me...

I think it'd be foolish of me to start messing around with'em...