I GET SHOTS

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If that's the summary I'm not sure I'd like to see the long version....:oops:
You can find that on EG website. Just click on WHS.
Or download the "Rules of Handicapping".
Both of those are mind-numbing, although factual, no assistance given to changing one's perception from the old system to the new system.

D

Deleted member 25172

For some reason, I get this image in my head as I read the initial post.

A8728834-4AF1-4FC4-9738-1BEA0A43CE2C.jpeg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
The OP writes “Get out there, play to the best of your ability and enjoy it! The new handicapping system allows you to do this and it is very liberating.”

Am I alone in thinking that this is a load of twaddle ? I’ll concede that it is well presented twaddle though.
Yes, that last bit is not to be taken too seriously. A poor attempt at some encouragement, by me.
I saw something similar in the WHS bumf when it was being introduced, "Get out and play!" or something like that.
I've seen on other threads that some are very wound up when their course handicap does not coincide with their perception of "getting shots" against the course.
Simply no need for that as nobody "gets shots" against the course - only when in competition with others do you "get shots". But this perception was true and important under the old system, because it was your net score that was used for handicap adjustment.
Also mentioned has been the "card-in-hand" pressure when submitting a score. Not so much need for that now as there are no more +0.1 for 12 crap scores out of 20.
Just get out there and do it - that should be a benefit of the new system.
I can't see how the main text of post#1 is twaddle. It is descriptive of the two topics introduced at the start. I have read much twaddle on other threads where people have not been able to see those two things as separate actions.
In verbal conversations with other golfers, I have found the main revelation to be that net scores were solely responsible for handicap adjustment in the old system and now it is gross scores.
Not met many who had grasped that as a main part of the change to WHS. A big change that takes some time to get used to.

If there was nothing new for you to think about in post#1 then you will have found it very dull reading - you may call that twaddle if you choose to - but dull it certainly was, if this is the case.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
It takes no time to get used to. Unless you’re overthinking things. Maybe you have too much time on your hands 😂
As I have said, I hope it might help others - some others - not everyone necessarily.
It does take time to get used to - not no time. Some still need more time.

Maybe I do have time on my hands - don't know about too much - but then how I use that time does not have to be of any concern to anyone but me.
Very much my choice how I use my time.
Thank you for your contribution.
The new system is clearly no problem for you.
Well done.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Yes I understand this model of thinking.
But when you have been doing something for 40 odd years it’s not so easy to just change the way you think.
I managed, or tried, to change the way I think by remembering how I thought about my golf sores 50 years ago. :eek:
Didn't do the whole job, but it helped get rid of some of the last system from my head.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
But for handicapping purposes don't I need to know "How many shots I get on this course" (Course Handicap) to understand if I've reached my net double bogey score for any particular hole?
Sorry for the late reply to this.
Yes.
I put one sentence about that in the first post. Expanding on it further would have bored many readers half to death, I feared.
It appears I got there, boring some to half death that is, without going into depth about the double bogey limit.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I would like to thank everyone for their responses.
Just about all responses have come from people who are very well adjusted to the new system.
The post#1 text will have been very dull reading in that case and the scornful responses are understandable in those cases.

Away from this forum in the real world, I have many conversations with players whose minds are still very much stuck in the old system. I'm sure many of you must be having that same experience. My intention was to help those people adjust to the new system.

I was hoping that this thread would invite comments about helping all those others that you meet adjust to the new system. How you go about heling them etc,

Instead it became about comments directed to me and who could come up with the best indignant and scornfully cutting ones.
Water off a duck's back, and I have no animosity for anyone.

If this thread is to continue in any way, I would like to see some comments about helping people whose minds are sill very much stuck in the old system, adjust to the new system.

AussieKB

Visit site
Here in OZ we put in that many cards for handicapping we do not need to worry about it, I just checked my Golf Australia handicap and since the 30/7 2022 I have submitted 100 cards, and my handicap has gone up point 1, must be getting old just turned 70.,

John Evans 9

Visit site
Just about all responses have come from people who are very well adjusted to the new system.
The post#1 text will have been very dull reading in that case and the scornful responses are understandable in those cases.

Away from this forum in the real world, I have many conversations with players whose minds are still very much stuck in the old system. I'm sure many of you must be having that same experience. My intention was to help those people adjust to the new system.

I was hoping that this thread would invite comments about helping all those others that you meet adjust to the new system. How you go about heling them etc,

Instead it became about comments directed to me and who could come up with the best indignant and scornfully cutting ones.

If this thread is to continue in any way, I would like to see some comments about helping people whose minds are sill very much stuck in the old system, adjust to the new system.
I remain baffled by this topic. The OP seems to have invented a golfing problem which simply doesn’t exist. At least, not in my mind.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, that last bit is not to be taken too seriously. A poor attempt at some encouragement, by me.
I saw something similar in the WHS bumf when it was being introduced, "Get out and play!" or something like that.
I've seen on other threads that some are very wound up when their course handicap does not coincide with their perception of "getting shots" against the course.
Simply no need for that as nobody "gets shots" against the course - only when in competition with others do you "get shots". But this perception was true and important under the old system, because it was your net score that was used for handicap adjustment.
Also mentioned has been the "card-in-hand" pressure when submitting a score. Not so much need for that now as there are no more +0.1 for 12 crap scores out of 20.
Just get out there and do it - that should be a benefit of the new system.
I can't see how the main text of post#1 is twaddle. It is descriptive of the two topics introduced at the start. I have read much twaddle on other threads where people have not been able to see those two things as separate actions.
In verbal conversations with other golfers, I have found the main revelation to be that net scores were solely responsible for handicap adjustment in the old system and now it is gross scores.
Not met many who had grasped that as a main part of the change to WHS. A big change that takes some time to get used to.

If there was nothing new for you to think about in post#1 then you will have found it very dull reading - you may call that twaddle if you choose to - but dull it certainly was, if this is the case.
BIB…exactly this. Though it isn’t easy to put aside the thinking of decades.

That said I know that next card in I will lose one of my eight and know that if my gross is more than 81 my HI will go up by 0.2 no matter how bad my gross is. But strangely I am less bothered having that knowledge than under the old system knowing a mess up will give me a +0.1. Can’t really explain my.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I remain baffled by this topic. The OP seems to have invented a golfing problem which simply doesn’t exist. At least, not in my mind.
The problem is quite definitely in the minds of others that I meet and talk to. It certainly does exist - please let me assure you of that.
Very good to hear that you have no such problem.

Very many golfers that I meet regard their main pastime as social golf. Problems that they have are numerous.
eg
"I can't play to my new handicap - I don't get enough shots."
The notion that you are only likely to be playing to your handicap 20% of the time seems ridiculous to them. A realistic handicap to them would be one that they play to most of the time.

"Why give me a handicap, then keep changing it on different tees, different courses, different formats etc?"

and many more - problems, problems, problems.

My post#1 was to address the one problem that I see many having in not recognising two distinct and separate processes.

Please, please, please can everyone stop addressing their own personal views on this issue, and their opinions of me, and consider how to help those who are struggling to adjust to the new handicapping system.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eventually we will all adapt our thinking to the new system just as we did with the change from shillings and pence to the new decimal coinage. The labels on supermarket shelves showed prices in the old system for a while. This helped people to be clearer in their minds about how much money they were spending.

As an aside

Sometimes I see things in posts that reminds me of the hangovers we still get from an old system

When I see things priced £x.99p I always have to smile because this is hangover from sales tax days (the system pre VAT)

With sales tax you were charged on the amount in pounds, so £4 19s 11p attracted the the same sales tax as £4

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is always simple for me, whenever I play in any sort of stroke play round I always play the course, and let the rest take care of itself.

Win the money, lose the money, nothing changes hands - tell me at the end, I will be trying my best on every hole regardless.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s even more worrying that its conversations you are having in the “real world” 😲