I don't understand this game!

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
I came back to golf 2.5 years ago, after a long break, determined to get a "decent" handicap. Over the last Summer my progress pretty much stalled, with me on a handicap of 20. I'd love to do better.

I've been forced to have a break from playing over the last month thanks to illness/work/weather. I knew I was going to play today so I went to the range last week. I was terrible, slicing the ball like I did when I first came back to golf, I even did a few shanks....I still played this morning.....and hit my best ever score. No slices, no shanks, a birdie and a handful of pars. How does that work? The course was windy and wet, it should have been a disaster. I'm really chuffed....but I really don't understand this game at all...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I came back to golf 2.5 years ago, after a long break, determined to get a "decent" handicap. Over the last Summer my progress pretty much stalled, with me on a handicap of 20. I'd love to do better.

I've been forced to have a break from playing over the last month thanks to illness/work/weather. I knew I was going to play today so I went to the range last week. I was terrible, slicing the ball like I did when I first came back to golf, I even did a few shanks....I still played this morning.....and hit my best ever score. No slices, no shanks, a birdie and a handful of pars. How does that work? The course was windy and wet, it should have been a disaster. I'm really chuffed....but I really don't understand this game at all...

Give up trying to understand it and save yourself a lot of time and angst. Just roll with it and enjoy days like today. Well played. Was it a qualifier? Sometimes going in with no expectations can really help you relax and play to your potential

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Where did you play?

I've scored well in those times, I tell myself my advantage over others is that I don't let the condition get to me and I can score whatever the course condition/weather. If you are used to a slow soggy course then a well manicured fast course can be very tricky! That is the challenge of playing away!

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
Give up trying to understand it and save yourself a lot of time and angst. Just roll with it and enjoy days like today. Well played. Was it a qualifier? Sometimes going in with no expectations can really help you relax and play to your potential

Thanks Homer - that sounds good advice. I could have opted into a competition but was feeling at a low ebb before I played.....now, of course, I wish I'd entered!