I complete the England top 10 today!

sunshine

Visit site
It's the Golf Monthly Top100. I made an assumption that was what the OP was referring to given that this is the Golf Monthly forum. I may have been wrong.

I was just wondering... there are so many different lists. All are pretty similar at the top.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be interested to hear your thoughts about Lytham v Birkdale. Both fabulous but I preferred Lytham, more of a 'thinking mans' course. all about placing the ball in the right places to avoid bunkers.
I think Birkdale is better. Possibly a slightly weak finish with 3 par 5s in the final 4 holes. 18 should be a par 4 at all times.
I know you’re a big fan of Enodoc, but I’m even more perplexed that it makes top 10 lists after playing these 2 today

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think Birkdale is better. Possibly a slightly weak finish with 3 par 5s in the final 4 holes. 18 should be a par 4 at all times.
I know you’re a big fan of Enodoc, but I’m even more perplexed that it makes top 10 lists after playing these 2 today
It really is about what the individual/team rating emphasises imo. All The Open venues have their own 'character' - Birkdale and Carnoustie being 'the beasts' if there's a breeze (and Birkdale is particularly tricky because several (?) greens are 'protected' so breeze will be different to that on the fairway.
I put St Enedoc in the same category (though not style) as North Berwick - a joy to play albeit (or even because it's) somewhat quirky.
Hillside is right up there in my favourites list. Not played the 'Ladies' course, but Formby is another cracker.
As for the bunkers at St Annes Old...I managed to stay out of them when I played it, possibly why I scored so (relatively) well in another forum's meet there years ago.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some effort to play those courses and some play list this week. Deeply jealous.
Just about taking opportunities where they come. This week hasn’t been cheap but we’ve waited until October when the ‘shoulder’ rates kick in. And it’s saved a lot

Zig

Visit site
Great debate... and agree - some awesome courses to play.

I haven't played some of the courses, but am interested in the comparisons.

My tuppence worth...

Ganton and Woodhall Spa... exceptional. Both great in the winter, but need to play them in the summer to appreciate the firm fairways/run offs. The improvements at WS are among the best I've ever seen.
Lytham... loved the history, the clubhouse. Many fab holes, but a few which I felt weren't up to the same standard.
Hillside... More than just a great back 9. Probably enjoyed it more than Lytham.
St Enedoc... loved it too. For me Saunton is a stronger 18, though I accept there are some holes at St Enedoc as good as anywhere, and the views across the bay take some beating!

Honourable mention: Silloth somehow manages to go under the radar... but is up there with the best ones for me!

Sunningdale... on the bucket list. Need to find a way to play it without paying the full visitor fee. Any suggestions welcome! Keep looking out for a future forum meet ;)
Birkdale... same as above. Would love to play it too, but for a little less than the advertised rate. On the look out for that one too!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just about taking opportunities where they come. This week hasn’t been cheap but we’ve waited until October when the ‘shoulder’ rates kick in. And it’s saved a lot

Not knocking it and all power to you and some canny booking to save the cash on green fees. If you have the capital and time to be able to do it I can't think of a much better set of courses to go play. Sadly I'll have to rely on the forum trips to play as many of the good courses as I can.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not knocking it and all power to you and some canny booking to save the cash on green fees. If you have the capital and time to be able to do it I can't think of a much better set of courses to go play. Sadly I'll have to rely on the forum trips to play as many of the good courses as I can.
I didn’t take it that way at all ? we all pay £30 a month into account which offsets

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m not near my list at the moment but pretty sure most of them are (not in order)
sunnngdale x 2
Ganton
Birkdale
Woodhall
Lytham
RSG
Our top 3 agree
Loved Ganton, And Sunningdale is amazing.
Not played the 3 Royals though.
Must try harder.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I actually preferred Burnham to St Enodoc, both great though.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not played any dahn sarf but know the northern and woodhall. As a matter of interest to those have experience of most, where do you reckon Alwoodley sits?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not played any dahn sarf but know the northern and woodhall. As a matter of interest to those have experience of most, where do you reckon Alwoodley sits?
Really really good. Loved it. Probably in my 10-20 courses not top 10 as
sunningdale x2
Woodhall
Lytham
Birkdale
Swinley
West sussex
Walton Heath
Royal St. George’s
Notts
Saunton
St Enodoc
and a few others are better

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm in the minority because I think Moortown is better. To me, Alwoodley is fantastic but once you get the ball in play off the tee it is fairly straightforward whereas I think Moortown poses more of a challenge with the shots into the greens. But just my opinion of course.