I complete the England top 10 today!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Be interested to hear your thoughts about Lytham v Birkdale. Both fabulous but I preferred Lytham, more of a 'thinking mans' course. all about placing the ball in the right places to avoid bunkers.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not near my list at the moment but pretty sure most of them are (not in order)
sunnngdale x 2
Ganton
Birkdale
Woodhall
Lytham
RSG

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
What are the other ones?

Extract from the Top100 just showing the ten highest placed English courses (with Top100 position):

6 Royal Birkdale
9 Sunningdale (New)
11 Sunningdale (Old)
12 Royal Lytham and St Annes
13 Royal St George’s
14 Royal Liverpool
20 Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)
24 St George’s Hill (Red and Blue)
27 Walton Heath (Old)
28 Ganton

I've only played the Hotchkin, it beat me up.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ah, I have not played Ganton, done the rest. Better get my self back up North next year. I am sure I've said on here before, but I once went to play Ganton, it was mid-Feb.. left Scarborough in the drizzle - time we got to Ganton there was a full blizzard... we didnt go out! By lunchtime, the Scarboro/York road was closed due to drifting snow!!

Folk knock Lytham, maybe cos it feels like it is in housing estate when you drive there!! But I love it.

D

Deleted member 21258

Be interested to hear your thoughts about Lytham v Birkdale. Both fabulous but I preferred Lytham, more of a 'thinking mans' course. all about placing the ball in the right places to avoid bunkers.

For me, I preferred the challenge of Lytham but would rather play Birkdale day in day out. Birkdale is prettier on the eye as well.

Wife hated Birkdale, was just to hard for her and the run offs into bunkers, she must of visited a couple a hole at least:LOL: (she didn't play Lytham)

If I had to pick a one off game, I would go for Lytham, as that holds the most excitement.

sunshine

Visit site
Extract from the Top100 just showing the ten highest placed English courses (with Top100 position):

6 Royal Birkdale
9 Sunningdale (New)
11 Sunningdale (Old)
12 Royal Lytham and St Annes
13 Royal St George’s
14 Royal Liverpool
20 Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)
24 St George’s Hill (Red and Blue)
27 Walton Heath (Old)
28 Ganton

I've only played the Hotchkin, it beat me up.

What list is that?

Top100 website has Swinley and St Enodoc in the England top 10 instead of Hoylake (16th) and Walton Heath (14th). Before getting into any arguments - they're all great courses. I've only played 5 of the 12 mentioned above so not fully qualified to comment.

D

Deleted member 21258

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
What list is that?

Top100 website has Swinley and St Enodoc in the England top 10 instead of Hoylake (16th) and Walton Heath (14th). Before getting into any arguments - they're all great courses. I've only played 5 of the 12 mentioned above so not fully qualified to comment.

It's the Golf Monthly Top100. I made an assumption that was what the OP was referring to given that this is the Golf Monthly forum. I may have been wrong.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely buzzing to be playing Royal Birkdale today!

Lytham was absolutely incredible yesterday too.

Formby Ladies Saturday and Hillside Sunday. Woosh
Well done... great outing is that.
I've managed 6 of them & enjoyed them immensely but have now lost the will to push to do more. Sunningdale Old would be my choice for best. HoyLake bottom of the list & perhaps shouldn't be there at all.