I can’t hit my driver now

G1z1

Visit site
This started last week on Wednesday at mar hall felt something going off with my driver but managed to keep it under control. Next day at the duke’s it was getting worse hitting drives very low almost along the ground. Then on Friday it was just terrible easily 50% of my drives going bad along the ground and maybe 150 yards maximum. So at the weekend I wanted to do a test, I went up around 4pm on Saturday and Sunday with the plan to play the front 9 on Saturday with my 5 iron off the tee and back 9 driver and then sunday same idea but back 9 with my 5 Iron.
1A83778C-F8F8-49B1-ADBB-49E30E291CE4.jpeg
So as you can see my 5 iron got me +2 after 9 and driver got my +7 after 9. I did lose one ball on Saturday With the driver.
9BA45D2E-92B4-4B5F-8971-391845973E80.jpeg
Sunday +12 with the driver and its now out of control the driver and I lost 3 balls, honestly can’t remember last time I lost 3 ball in a full round never mind 9. Then on back 9 with my 5 iron off the tee I get round in +2.
Today I played cathcart castle a course I don’t know and used the 5iron on the full course, except obviously the short part 3s.
1485769E-4295-4E58-868A-C5B55E08EC01.jpeg
I managed to get round in +8 on a course I don’t know with only a 5 iron and I now can’t hit a driver at all. My pro I’m with the now just wants to focus on me perfecting my irons and he really has got me hitting them better than ever but my driver really needs fixing, I’m off for a lesson today at 1 should I say let’s just hold off on the irons for now and get the driver fixed or just let him focus on what he thinks. I don’t want to get in the habit of hitting a 5 iron round a course a need to get this driver fixed. I have noticed my right hand feels as if it’s turning round into a strong grip and it’s only happening with the driver.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You clearly can hit your driver well as you have been doing so in the very recent past.
I would suggest that the difference between what you are doing and what you have been doing is likely to be very small.
Personally I would ask the pro to have a look it is likely to be only a very small adjustment you need to make.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You clearly can hit your driver well as you have been doing so in the very recent past.
I would suggest that the difference between what you are doing and what you have been doing is likely to be very small.
Personally I would ask the pro to have a look it is likely to be only a very small adjustment you need to make.

This although sometimes a range session on my own (hopefully down one end where its quiet so I can concentrate) does the trick. I has to be a small change given the OP's ability prior to the last round

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know that with me when I do just as OP is doing…I topped three in a match last week and others went low and left…is that I have my shoulders pointing right of target, when I want them pointing left. I think I have them pointing left…but no. My pro spotted it straight away when I went to him, but still when playing I can drift back to my bad old ways. I just need to get onto range.

Albo

Visit site
Id ask your pro to look at it next lesson.

No point puring your irons if you cant get away off the tee, though 8 over on a new course using no more than 5i off the tee is some going!

He/she should be able to pretty quickly spot whats wrong with driver as you're clearly a very capable golfer with what I would imagine to be a workable and repeatable swing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Time to see your/a Pro! It'll likely be fixed within a couple of mins! If they know your swing well enough, they might even be able to fix it without seeing it!!

G1z1

Visit site
Just finished my lesson. It’s wasn’t a easy fix and I’ll really need to work hard to fix it. Basically I’m really good at compressing my irons and it’s followed over to my driver swing. My attack angle I’m hitting down on the driver now, I have always had a low ball flight with the driver and 3 wood and was getting away with it before but now it’s just kind of came to a head. He did also pick up on my grip it was trying to go strong and he noticed on the driver I would take a while to hit the ball because I was kind of fighting with my grip. Also the strong grip was making me close the face so it was going low and left. He has shown me a few things to work on I now need to put the work in. It’s always something with this golf lol just when I think I’m really starting to get decent.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just finished my lesson. It’s wasn’t a easy fix and I’ll really need to work hard to fix it. Basically I’m really good at compressing my irons and it’s followed over to my driver swing. My attack angle I’m hitting down on the driver now, I have always had a low ball flight with the driver and 3 wood and was getting away with it before but now it’s just kind of came to a head. He did also pick up on my grip it was trying to go strong and he noticed on the driver I would take a while to hit the ball because I was kind of fighting with my grip. Also the strong grip was making me close the face so it was going low and left. He has shown me a few things to work on I now need to put the work in. It’s always something with this golf lol just when I think I’m really starting to get decent.

You know the issues and have the fixes. The rest is down to you. Stick with the drills and keep a sharp eye on the grip and work hard in practice and don't be tempted to resort to the old way if it goes wrong on the course. It might take some short term pain for a few rounds to see progress

G1z1

Visit site
You know the issues and have the fixes. The rest is down to you. Stick with the drills and keep a sharp eye on the grip and work hard in practice and don't be tempted to resort to the old way if it goes wrong on the course. It might take some short term pain for a few rounds to see progress
Yea it’s the grip that’s feeling hard the now. Hard a go on my sim just there I can hit up on the ball with driver on a half swing it’s when I go full on for some reason it goes really low. Has anyone used one of these ? Think I’ll order one but not sure if it will work as I use a baseball grip now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PGA-Tour-S...9f891&pd_rd_wg=Co0cH&pd_rd_i=B000JLY22W&psc=1

Barking_Mad

Visit site

'tis a stupid game. ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain, I've had a 6+ month phase of being rubbish with the big stick I'm only just starting to get it back - I'm just waiting for the next thing to off (irons, wedges, putter!)

Mike79

Visit site

I'm the complete opposite to you! Been working on hitting up with my driver and I now regularly top my irons.

phillarrow

Visit site
Yea it’s the grip that’s feeling hard the now. Hard a go on my sim just there I can hit up on the ball with driver on a half swing it’s when I go full on for some reason it goes really low. Has anyone used one of these ? Think I’ll order one but not sure if it will work as I use a baseball grip now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PGA-Tour-S...9f891&pd_rd_wg=Co0cH&pd_rd_i=B000JLY22W&psc=1

I've got one of them. They're okay to stretch your muscles before a round and can help if you have a tendency to 'slip' over time with regards to your grip, but they wouldn't work for a baseball grip.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
One word explains this phenomenon, GOLF.
So what is the origin of the word golf?
Is it...
A. Purely derived from the Dutch word kolf.
B. Spelt backwards it's FLOG, as in flogging a dead horse meaning a complete waste of time and money.
C. An acronym of Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden.
D. One or more of the above plus just another way to get away from the Mrs.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So what is the origin of the word golf?
Is it...
A. Purely derived from the Dutch word kolf.
B. Spelt backwards it's FLOG, as in flogging a dead horse meaning a complete waste of time and money.
C. An acronym of Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden.
D. One or more of the above plus just another way to get away from the Mrs.

I wouldnt be suprised if C was correct - obviously dont agree with it though :ROFLMAO:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
But after 273 years, Muirfield now has 12 women members.

Actually, I believe that since the pandemic there's been a surge in women playing the game.