Hybrids

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Excuse me for being a luddite, but I want to pick people's brains.

Firstly, a really dumb question (please don't laugh). Is there a difference between a hybrid and a rescue club, or are they the same thing? Why do some manufacturers call a club a hybrid and others call them a rescue club?

More importantly, I'm interested in knowing whether I should add one to my bag. At the moment I'm playing D, 3w, 5w and then 4 - SW irons, but I find my fairway wood relatively difficult to hit well. I hit my 4i OK (not great, but ok), but I don't have anything with more distance.

Is a hybrid club a good gap-filler between a 4i and 5w, or is the idea of a hybrid that it replaces the 4w itself? E.g. if I get a less lofted hybrid (18 degree for example), is it likely to be quite difficult to hit?

Or is it worth going for a 7 wood?

Sorry for so many questions - I'm just not sure what to try.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You don't say what distances you hit with them but it looks to me like there is a big gap between your 4 iron and 5 wood?

Maybe a 20 deg hybrid, which is a 3 iron replacement, would be the place to start, try hitting a few is the only sure way to know.

Only recently put a hybrid in my bag and it's a great help, fantastic off the fairway or tee and not too shabby out of the semi either!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hybrid, rescue, baffler and utility are all names for the same type of club. Different manufacturers call them different things, I guess for marketing reasons.

Looks like a 21 degree 3 iron replacement would fit the bill. Whether you find it any easier to hit is down to you though.

A

Alex1975

As I understand it a hybrid and rescue is the same thing, no idea why the manufactures cannot agree on a term. It’s a Hybrid to me, what is it rescuing me from? You can use them as you please i.e. replace long irons or fairway woods, there is not "suppose to". For me and as you know, it’s all personal, I see no need to carry a 5 wood as it’s easier to hit a hybrid, I also don’t want to have to hit a 3 iron so I replace that with a hybrid for the same reasons, it’s easier for me to hit. (My sig is inaccurate for the purposes of this post as I am missing a 4i & 17* hybrid)

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Brilliant, thanks for your replies. I had assumed they were the same club but 'rescue' made it sound like it was for a particular situation whereas hybrid makes it sound multi-purpose.

What I'll try and do is get something around 21/22 degrees and see how I get on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depending on your swing speed, a 7 wood may be a better bet. Same loft as a 3 iron/3 hybrid but a slightly longer shaft and a deper C of G so gets the ball up a bit better. It does everything a hybrid does too.
Faster swings will get more from a hybrid as too much spin gets applied cutting distance. And in general, the lower the hybrid loft, the more tricky it is to hit, the faster swing you need to.get the ball up.
Don't discount a 7 wood. You can pick up one of the best - Cally Big Bertha Warbird fairly cheap on eBay.

Visit site
Excuse me for being a luddite, but I want to pick people's brains.

Firstly, a really dumb question (please don't laugh). Is there a difference between a hybrid and a rescue club, or are they the same thing? Why do some manufacturers call a club a hybrid and others call them a rescue club?

More importantly, I'm interested in knowing whether I should add one to my bag. At the moment I'm playing D, 3w, 5w and then 4 - SW irons, but I find my fairway wood relatively difficult to hit well. I hit my 4i OK (not great, but ok), but I don't have anything with more distance.

Is a hybrid club a good gap-filler between a 4i and 5w, or is the idea of a hybrid that it replaces the 4w itself? E.g. if I get a less lofted hybrid (18 degree for example), is it likely to be quite difficult to hit?

Or is it worth going for a 7 wood?

Sorry for so many questions -
I'm just not sure what to try.

i think they are the same but other people are not specific to what they mean. hybrid and a rescue club is only the term i think but in general it is all about golf.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My irons start from 5I. I'm about 10 yards per club shorter than you, but I find a 3H is a godsend.

It's easier to get up in the air than a fairway wood, and it goes straighter ( I think because of the slightly shorter shaft ).

Because my set didn't come with a 4I I also have a 4H.

:)

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What I'll try and do is get something around 21/22 degrees and see how I get on.

That Titleist I saw in the Hailsham golf shop might suit - I've decided I don't need to spend another £69.

Do you ever get down this far?