Hybrids distance gaps

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I currently have the 21 degree hybrid but have it delofted to 20 degrees, I'm thinking of replacing my 4i with the 23.5 degree hybrid as well,what do you think the distance gap between these two would be? The 23.5 is 1/2" shorter as well.
Also I'm thinking of replacing my 3 wood with a 2 hybrid at 16 degrees,I know it's shorter but I can't hit a 3 wood off the deck for toffee,and I don't use the 3 wood that much off the tee,a 16 degree would be plenty long as well.

THoughts?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Try a 4 wood.

It's the new 3 wood.
17 degrees, same length shaft, easier to get in the air and probably just as long.
Generally the lower the loft of a hybrid, the harder it is for mere mortals like us to hit them decently. There will always be exceptions however.
Try a 16 or 15 hybrid. To be honest you're more likely to stuggle with it than make a sucess of it but if you don't try it you'll never know.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i'm just not a fan of fairways in general.i'll try a 23.5 hybrid at the range,trouble is most ranges dont carry the 16.i used to love therescue mid 16 though

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
dropped my 3 wood in favor of a 19* hybrid that i can bomb as far as any 3wood ive hit. well pleased. jpx800 - it has a bigger head than my 17* md hybrid. will probably keepp that in the bag as the smaller head will cut through rough better in the summer. since its still clean and place around my course i always have a perfect lye at the minute.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my sw is only 54 degrees so the 58 lw stays.i nail the 3h it goes as far as a 5w.its between driver and 3h i struggle with.also how much more versatile is a 4h over a 4i?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try a 4 wood.

It's the new 3 wood.
17 degrees, same length shaft, easier to get in the air and probably just as long.
Generally the lower the loft of a hybrid, the harder it is for mere mortals like us to hit them decently. There will always be exceptions however.
Try a 16 or 15 hybrid. To be honest you're more likely to stuggle with it than make a sucess of it but if you don't try it you'll never know.

i concur, didnt get on with my 17 hybrid

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth my 'go to' club is a 4 wood.
It's an old Callaway Warbird with an RHC90 firm shaft & 16.6° of loft and is just soooooooooo easy to hit, and I'm not a low h'cap golfer.
I can hit it off a peg, off the fairway, out of light rough & even out of shallow bunkers.............it's a beaut.
Find one & try it,
all the best,

Slime.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem with the 4w is that it's the same length shaft as the 3w in most cases,I have no problem getting it airborne when I do connect,it's the long shaft that makes it tricky,at 43" I find it hard to control (I'm only a midget 5ft 7") the 40" hybrid just feels so much comfier,also a 16hybrid would be 2" shorter.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just back from the range after testing,interesting to say the least! 3w and 3h around the same length,4h longer than both 3H and 3w! 4i and 5i around the same length.not sure what my bag line up will be now

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im giving serious thought to getting an inch or so chopped off the 3wood just to see if it will make any difference. otherwise its going to be a permenant fixture in the garage.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well before I make any rash sales or purchases I've booked myself into west of england golf academy to have all my distances checked and also do a bag analysis,hopefully that will satisfy my curiousity and impulse buying.